Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse me, I did not realize you were appointed the ST memory police. Next time I will be sure and run it by you first. By the way, since you missed my point, here it is in plain English. Wildflower long course was a race that demanded respect and if you did not respect it, it would bite you! Also, in no way did I discourage this individual from doing the race, I just gave him an honest opinion based on my own experience which was considerable (20 years worth at that point) and wished him good luck. I have, and will continue to do so, encouraged many people to do multisports but with a focus. However, NEVER would I recommend WF long course as a first ever race for anyone especially an over 50, under trained individual..

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't remember the year but struggling up the last big hill on the run,
trying to fake it like I was still running but really just lifting my knees - anyhow a woman spectator walked over next to me, similar age
as I was (50's) and said
"Mind if I tell you a joke ?"
"please do"
What's better than roses on a piano?"
"i don't know"
"Tulips on an organ"
"bless you"

timing was priceless and I was able to finish with a little panache and a big smile
Quote Reply
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Amazing what a spectator can do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For context what was the peak attendance vs. recent years?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
can't remember the year but struggling up the last big hill on the run,
trying to fake it like I was still running but really just lifting my knees - anyhow a woman spectator walked over next to me, similar age
as I was (50's) and said
"Mind if I tell you a joke ?"
"please do"
What's better than roses on a piano?"
"i don't know"
"Tulips on an organ"
"bless you"

timing was priceless and I was able to finish with a little panache and a big smile

You just spurred a memory, running up that same hill (out of the pit right?) I must have been walking, a woman started walking next to me and told me a joke. Don't remember the joke at all but it was corny like yours, had to be the same woman

ETA this is why I write race reports... went back and looked. First WF half in 2007, walking up the pit woman stepped out and said "can I tell you a dirty joke?" Sure. "How does a Cub Scout become a Boy Scout?" I dunno. "He has to eat a brownie. You're on your own."
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 30, 16 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to go back at look and it was also 2007 for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. After a disastrous DNF in 1992 and swearing I'd never go back ...of course I returned in 2002 (but as the swimmer in a relay.) Wearing a prototype wetsuit, ran out of the water and thought I had a "breakaway" ( pull up, not down...) zipper and pulled up really hard... Only to discover that it had a regular zipper and the thing was jammed. After at least 30 minutes of messing around, my relay runner and I finally had to rip the suit to get me out of it... the suit itself was really fast and warm... operator error notwithstanding.
2. Ah, 2003, it was one of those pouring down rain years. I was helping my friends at Zoot Sports with the "Wildflower weekend." We drove up a big RV with 2 pop-outs, lots of food and beer, and plenty of space for our 3 person staff plus one athlete and bikes. As the Friday Night downpour intensified, people who were flooded out of their tents kept knocking on the door, asking if there was room for "one more." By 11 pm, every bit of floor space and both the driver's and passenger seats had someone sleeping on them and we had to lock the door and turn out the lights. Tom Kattus, who was "lucky" enough to score the bunk over cab, was completely boxed in by everyone's bags, boxes, etc. bikes were stacked in the "bedroom" in the back. PS. we made everybody go to the outdoor toilets...
3. 2004, again with the crew from Zoot Sports... but this time the weather was perfect. Saturday night, we got together with Wattie and Jay from Triathlete Mag, a bunch of vendors, athletes, and industry folks, had a barbecue and many many many beers etc. Story telling, bad jokes, and quite a few broken camp chairs ensued...I very clearly remember my face hurting from laughing so much. PS nobody raced on Sunday.

The question is, where should we all meet up in 2017 to start some new traditions?
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today would have been Wildflower 2017:
Tri California Events wrote:
Today at exactly 08:00 many of you would be at the start line of the Wildflower Triathlons for it's 35th Anniversary. You would be standing at Lake San Antonio, surrounded by your closest friends and family, ready to take on the challenges that this race brings. You would be cheered on by outstanding Cal Poly Volunteers and your fellow triathlon club members every step of the way. Today you would be experiencing a race that would last for years in your mind as an accomplishment you will forever hold dear. Many would be continuing a tradition that you look forward to each and every year. Even as you stand at the start line you would have visions of that long finish chute, people clapping and the announcers calling out your name as you are personally welcomed across the line. Even as you sit here reading this you can picture the image and feel the chills go down your spine knowing this race is not just another triathlon, this race is not just like all the others, this race is not just an added medal to the rest... this race is Wildflower!
A small ask in the Facebook post:
Quote:
Today... show us the many reasons to bring Wildflower back for its 35th Anniversary in 2018
There's hope! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your favorite Wildflower Memories [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wildflower 2014. First half after being out of triathlon for 20 years. Went with good friend and another guy. I was a bit undertrained but who cares as it was a trip with friends. Flew into SFO and rented a VW pop up in San Fran and drove down. I am a timid descender so it was a bad course for me. Lost alot of time coming down after nasty grade and that last hill coming into T2. No heat acclimatization prior to race (I live in Canada). Humbled on the run. But good to be back into the club.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just in case you haven't seen the news, WF is back in 2018!
Reportedly IM 70.3 Santa Rosa will be later in the year so this should help ensure good turnout.

Can't wait!
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ck_in_2018_6354.html
Last edited by: twain: May 10, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is great news. I recall my first one there was for Oly race in 2000. That was the year Zack and Legh had that amazing finish racing down the finish hill side by side. It was truely epic and Juergen was just a bad ass but cool guy who you could chat with at the venue.

The other memory is heading towards the infamous mile 4 aid station and seeing someone holding sign that said some thing to the effect, "Danger - Extreme Nudity Ahead". I just looked at the guy and said "I live for danger" even though i felt like puking ;-)

Oh then there was that time i overcooked the turn heading towards the bridge on the bike and rode right into it twisting my aero bars and smashing my fingers. Luckily i was able to twist them back into position (stems must have been weaker then) and kept going. Lots of great memories of that event and the group of guys i used to race with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next