Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'm only here for the alpha mantis testing. I mainly outdoors when it's warm LOL

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
al-gorithm wrote:
These are what I have.

https://goo.gl/photos/WxMyNmtrzVX6Wc7c8

Can you recommend tire pressures? I'm here at the velodrome and heard that it can affect results. I'm 142lbs if that matters.

The top one is the last generation which is what has been tested to be fast. The bottom one is really old and doesn't have black chili compound and will be slower for sure.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have a chance to test these? from what i am reading better RR worse aerodynamics? is that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
anyone have a chance to test these? from what i am reading better RR worse aerodynamics? is that correct?

I don't think we have any idea yet. The casing itself is clearly different. Does that make a difference? I don't think we know. The tire is wider, so as you would except with the exact same casing, we would assume they roll a bit better.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping Tom A will volunteer to test its CRR. At some point I will A/B aero test it against the old one. One thing leading me to put it off (besides the weather) is that I'm going to have to change the damned tire in order to keep the wheel constant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing 70.3 this weekend with potential rain / thunderstorms. Go SS or GP4000?
Good roads, flat and few turns...
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

I mean, I am Supersonic although unless you definitely know it is supposed to rain. We are still too far out. I have changed tires race morning before based on latest weather forecast. However, regardless, I always say if you are nervous about it then it is best to go with the option that puts your mind at *ease*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will make the call Friday morning. I'm inclined to go with the SS regardless unless someone says they are a big no no in the rain. If it's raining hard I'll probably lose just as much time slowing down for turns with either tire.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
sp1ke wrote:

I mean, I am Supersonic although unless you definitely know it is supposed to rain. We are still too far out. I have changed tires race morning before based on latest weather forecast. However, regardless, I always say if you are nervous about it then it is best to go with the option that puts your mind at *ease*
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS Naples?

Those roads were like glass when I raced it 3 years ago. The SS will roll much better than my gp4000s did.

And this is florida, the weather changes at least every hour.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Thanks, will make the call Friday morning. I'm inclined to go with the SS regardless unless someone says they are a big no no in the rain. If it's raining hard I'll probably lose just as much time slowing down for turns with either tire.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
sp1ke wrote:

I raced IMMT this past year in a torrential downpour on the SS. Never had an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, HITS. I raced last year and roads were in good shape. The course changed now and there's a second transition area at Ave Maria. Not sure if this was the same course 3 years ago.

stevej wrote:
HITS Naples?

Those roads were like glass when I raced it 3 years ago. The SS will roll much better than my gp4000s did.

And this is florida, the weather changes at least every hour.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I am going to do a review but I think this is basically the TT23. I do believe they have the Vectran belt. Maybe the GPTT brand name dropped in the future. I got 3 pairs and was disappointed. Kept 1 for the review and sold the other 2. Immediately texted TJ he better start scouring for old 20mm. Mine came in heavier than my TT23. They are as wide as the TT23.

Anyone figure out if these are actually the GP TT? I'm looking for new race tires for next season but don't think I have the risk tolerance for a tire without the Vectran breaker layer. This past year I raced on a 23mm GP4ksII on the rear (Super 9) and Attack up front (808 NSW). Tom A's data suggests the Attack may be the best option up front assuming I am not interested in considering the SS (with the assumption that my 808 isn't significantly different from the Flo 90). I'm still left left wondering if the GP TT would be faster. Is it a reasonable to assume the TT falls somewhere between the SS and the Attack?

Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TT''s seem to mount up extra wide compared to the Attack and previous gen SS. Without testing it could be speculated that the reduced aero gives up any rolling gain benefit over the GP4ksII
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I am going to do a review but I think this is basically the TT23. I do believe they have the Vectran belt. Maybe the GPTT brand name dropped in the future. I got 3 pairs and was disappointed. Kept 1 for the review and sold the other 2. Immediately texted TJ he better start scouring for old 20mm. Mine came in heavier than my TT23. They are as wide as the TT23.

Anyone figure out if these are actually the GP TT? I'm looking for new race tires for next season but don't think I have the risk tolerance for a tire without the Vectran breaker layer. This past year I raced on a 23mm GP4ksII on the rear (Super 9) and Attack up front (808 NSW). Tom A's data suggests the Attack may be the best option up front assuming I am not interested in considering the SS (with the assumption that my 808 isn't significantly different from the Flo 90). I'm still left left wondering if the GP TT would be faster. Is it a reasonable to assume the TT falls somewhere between the SS and the Attack?

Negative, I guess the best the to do is see if we sent one to Tom A if he would be willing to test it and specifically against a 23mm TT as well. I would be willing to send him one of each that are new, never rolled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm not really concerned with the crr of the old vs new SS. Unless it has the Veteran belt I'm likely not going that route right now. Maybe I'll work my way there after the GP TT, but I need to figure out if the TT is actually a better choice for me over the Attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some calipers onto the latest version last night. Mounted to an old skinny rim Hed Jet 90, which should be similar to the original Hed 3, they came out at circa 21.5mm. Originals were only 20.2mm.

My guess is that the new tyre rolls better largely because it's a wider tyre, but in doing so, scuppers all of us hoping to use it on an older skinny rimmed Hed wheel in terms of aero.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [daaan100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sucks
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [daaan100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume that you are talking about the 700 x 20C's, yes?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the latest 700x20 vs the previous version 700x20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daaan100 wrote:
I got some calipers onto the latest version last night. Mounted to an old skinny rim Hed Jet 90, which should be similar to the original Hed 3, they came out at circa 21.5mm. Originals were only 20.2mm.

My guess is that the new tyre rolls better largely because it's a wider tyre, but in doing so, scuppers all of us hoping to use it on an older skinny rimmed Hed wheel in terms of aero.

Thanks for the update. It could actually be a great tire for more modern rims.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daaan100 wrote:

It's perfect for me on a wide rim. I have very tight clearance in the rear with a 23mm rim, and the 20mm SS is a good size for the 26mm wide front also.
Last edited by: rruff: Feb 3, 17 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daaan100 wrote:

I haven't seen Crr test results for the new SS 20 or 23 tires. The recent SS 20c results that TomA just added to his Crr spreadsheet was a newer vintage of the previous SS model. It was not the new for 2017 SS tire. If it turns out this new tire is the GP TT without a Vectran breaker it could roll better than the previous 20c SS.

Bummer on the SS 23c is that it could end up mounting at close to 25mm wide. Or about the same as the GP TT 23c.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just measured my 2017 23c Supersonic. Mounted on a 17mm internal width rim, at 100psi it's 24.5mm wide..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just measured an H3 with a well seasoned 20mm SS(2015) at 110psi and got 19.65mm
Quote Reply

Prev Next