Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel to Monterrey 70.3
Quote | Reply
Thinking about Monterrey 70.3 in May and going over various travel options from Phoenix.

It's roughly $800 in flights, plus another $220 to transport our bikes if we choose to fly from Las Vegas (cheaper than Phoenix). Or, it's a 16~17 hour drive via Laredo, TX, which is much more appealing cost-wise.

I'm not sure on how safe it is to drive from Laredo, TX to Monterrey. It's a three hour drive from TX to Monterrey. Does anyone have experience with this? Or do most people going from the USA just fly into Monterrey? Looking for suggestions or experiences here. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fly Las Vegas to McAllen, TX on Allegiant Airlines for $185, then take the bus from McAllen to Monterrey for $45. You'll be fine safety wise to take the bus. If you drive, you need to get a special permit.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
If you drive, you need to get a special permit.

From the Mexican government or the cartels?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from Monterrey but have lived in Austin Texas for 5 years. The drive should be ok as long as you do it during the day time. If it gets late or at night i really wouldn't do it. Most of my friends/family only make the drive during the day, if it gets too late they stay at a hotel. What car will you be driving? If its something that wont draw too much attention you should be fine. But as mentioned above permits are a pain in the ass, and you need one because if you get stopped and don't have one you will have to bribe officers or go through a huge hassle. Have looked at interjet airline? I believe they fly Las Vegas to Monterrey, they are not too expensive and are amazing at checking in bike boxes. They actually count a bike box as checked luggage so as long as youre not over the weight limit you wont be charged extra for it. I try to only fly with them when I race in Mexico.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Oct 27, 16 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also why Monterrey 70.3? I mean its a good race and its in my hometown but if youre travelling theres much better 70.3s that you can go to.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
Also why Monterrey 70.3? I mean its a good race and its in my hometown but if youre travelling theres much better 70.3s that you can go to.

It looks like a pretty cool city and a decently fast course. It's also good timing since we can train all winter in Arizona, race in May, then slow down a bit once the summer comes.

Anyways, it looks like Interjet Airlines, or driving to a TX border town and taking a bus to Monterrey is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel to Monterrey 70.3 [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
Is there a difference?

That's funny. But, sadly, your joke is more true than not ...

I love mexico, but it is a country in crisis.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you end up racing this last year? I'm in Austin and thinking about taking a bus down...kinda sketched out though.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from Monterrey as welll and also racing. Chuy's right about the drive, it should be safe during daytime, had done it myself many times. If you decide to take the bus from Mcallen to mty, once at mty I would recommend moving around in uber since it's safier and practical than taxi or public transportation. I have done the race before so if you need any help or doubts let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in San Antonio, Tx and raced Monterrey 70.3 in 2014 and 2015. Absolutely loved the race. I was looking at it again this year because it's actually cheaper to fly to Mexico to race than it is in the U.S. If they have an interjet airlines flight you can find I'd definitely take that. No issues and there are no bike fees. I used a taxi or bus to get from the airport into downtown since the airport is kind of far outside town. Definitely stay in and around the main area where the race is. There are plenty of hotels and everything is walking distance once you're there. I considered driving both times I raced but never did. I don't speak spanish and even many of my friends here that are from Mexico or other South American countries and speak the language have always flown.

Mark Saroni