Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning?
Quote | Reply
Do you calibrate or zero-offset your powermeter on the race day morning? The temperature will probably increase during the swim.
Is it better to do it the day before around the same time to match the temperature and leave it?
I use Quarq Riken and I'm not sure whether it has active temperature compensation.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning? [aki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I calibrate before every bike ride.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero off-set on race morning. If there is a big temp swing, you can always rezero your Riken by pedaling backwards 4 times once you get rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do you wait for the calibration to finish at T1? Do you do it while running to the mounting line?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I calibrate before I go to swim start.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aki wrote:
Do you calibrate or zero-offset your powermeter on the race day morning? The temperature will probably increase during the swim.
Is it better to do it the day before around the same time to match the temperature and leave it?
I use Quarq Riken and I'm not sure whether it has active temperature compensation.

Calibrate? No.

Zero the offset? Yes.

(There's a difference, despite Garmin's misuse of the term "calibrate")

"Zero early, and zero often"...and with your Riken, you can zero anytime while you're riding just by backwards pedaling while coasting :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware backpedaling does the zero-offset. Thank you all for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Calibrate? No.

Zero the offset? Yes.

"Zero early, and zero often"...and with your Riken, you can zero anytime while you're riding just by backwards pedaling while coasting :-)

I'd consider them both forms of calibration. In both cases a parameter is being calculated based on comparison of a measurement to a known quantity. One is a zero offset calibration, another is slope calibration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aki wrote:
I wasn't aware backpedaling does the zero-offset. Thank you all for the info!

Yeah, just make sure you backpedal at least 5 times to ensure a complete zeroing (there are apparently 4 memory registers that are averaged for the zero calculation, and one register is overwritten in each backwards cycle). The backwards pedaling zero isn't as potentially accurate as doing a static, manual zero through the head unit (since it makes an assumption about drivetrain friction), but as long as your drivetrain is in well-maintained shape, it seems to do fairly well.

Sometimes, if I'm curious if the zero may have drifted on one of my Quarqs, I'll just look to see if the output drops to zero as I soft-pedal forwards while coasting. That's an easy "in situ" check you can make while riding...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 27, 16 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Do you calibrate your powermeter on race day morning? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Calibrate? No.

Zero the offset? Yes.

I'd consider them both forms of calibration. In both cases a parameter is being calculated based on comparison of a measurement to a known quantity. One is a zero offset calibration, another is slope calibration.

I think of it more as a power meter is basically a fancy mobile weight scale. Setting the zero, or tare, is easy to do and check. Making sure its output is "calibrated", takes more time and a series of loads. Complete calibration requires BOTH. To call zeroing "calibration" is being incomplete.

Garmin could have used the term "tare", or "zero" instead of calibrate for the offset zeroing process. That would have saved a TON of confusion when people are asked if they are using a calibrated PM, and many answer "Sure, I calibrate it before every ride" :-/

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 27, 16 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Garmin could have used the term "tare", or "zero" instead of calibrate for the offset zeroing process. That would have saved a TON of confusion when people are asked if they are using a calibrated PM, and many answer "Sure, I calibrate it before every ride" :-/

I agree that would clarify the terminology used by users.
Quote Reply