Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

-51% aerobic decoupling on trainer with powertap
Quote | Reply
I'm slightly suspicious of these numbers :)

I have a powertap hub and use a fluid trainer. I noticed today that every time I stop for a few seconds, and restart, power leaps by about 10w... to the extent that having done it half a dozen times over the course of a workout, my decoupling was -51%.

Is this normal? Does the powertab recalibrate during these stops? My power numbers are essentially meaningless as a result.
Last edited by: madcap: Oct 26, 16 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: -51% aerobic decoupling on trainer [madcap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you stopping on the trainer? You're ruining your workout.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: -51% aerobic decoupling on trainer [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purely as an experiment to see if I was losing my mind due to the above phenomenon (previous trainer workouts had suspiciously low wattage throughout, something didn't seem right).
Quote Reply
Re: -51% aerobic decoupling on trainer with powertap [madcap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your heart rate doing during these workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: -51% aerobic decoupling on trainer with powertap [jfhdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the above example, as close as possible to 135bpm throughout.

My other observation is that this happened over the course of 60 minutes, not just the first 10-or-so minutes while the powertap was getting used to the ambient temperature etc...
Quote Reply
Re: -51% aerobic decoupling on trainer with powertap [madcap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap hubs auto zero when you coast for :03 or :04, can't remember. I'd not really worry about decoupling.

On a side note, I read something by a triathlon coach the other day about decoupling where the run finished uphill. The coach pointed out how the athlete lacked fitness bc the speed slowed and the HR climbed over the last 3 miles of the run 15 mile run. Which also climbed something like 800 vertical feet according to the graph. No shit genius coach, of course your HR is going to decouple.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply