Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim....
Quote | Reply
Swell. I used to do some of my open water swims in Pleasure Bay and I did often wonder if I'd bump into a dead guy....

http://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/10/26/mans-body-found-in-south-boston-marine-park

Think I'll just stick to the pools here in London.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dead guy was found on land, not water.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

By a jogger?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My team swim in a local reservoir (twice a week in season).

They pulled a dead (murdered) guy out on the Tuesday when they had done a full loop on the Monday. He had been missing for about two weeks and had been in the water for most, if not all of that.

They admitted if they had swum over him / found him they would have never swam open water again ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't say how/where/by he was found.

Is anyone really swimming there in late October anyways?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a floater here in our lake in IndiaNOplace as well a couple of years back. We now refer to that end as Dead Mans Cove.
I'll gladly risk bumping into a floater, jelly or shark over swimming in a water treadmill any day.
Last edited by: JamieJ: Oct 27, 16 3:13
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the latest I ever personally swam in that water was Mid/Late September but often by then tri season was winding down and a bit more running focused. That said, I've seen others people swimming in there till late October.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a little concerned about what I would bump into during the INMC swim. With all of the area flooding, I had horrible visions of bumping into a dead animal.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during an open water swim.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
schroeder wrote:

By a jogger?

My first thought as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaning over the railing waiting to start the NYC triathlon I saw a used condom float by. Nice.

Another year in the same race I saw a large dead fish in the Hudson just in front of a swimmer. He got closer and closer to it and seemed to be heading right at it. Not only did he swim right into it, he actually lifted his head right at the last moment and hit the fish with his face. He completely freaked out, spluttering and slashing his arms to get away from it, not knowing what it was. I felt a bit sorry for him, but it was quite funny to watch.

All that said, the Hudson is actually a relatively clean river, chemically speaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the latest I ever personally swam in that water was Mid/Late September but often by then tri season was winding down and a bit more running focused. That said, I've seen others people swimming in there till late October.

I have a group I swim with that swims in October. In fact, we have our Halloween "Vampire Swim" this Sunday.

We also tend to start as early as possible to avoid boats and get to work on time, so there have been plenty of mornings when we've headed out in near pitch black conditions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite as exciting as a dead body but the Friday before IM Wales a few weeks back, my brother and I swam part of the course at around dusk. On the way back in he was about 20 yards in front of me, and there was a group of swimmers about 50 yards back. Something bumped my arm.. twice. I was kind of freaked out but not too bad, knowing there wasn't anything with big teeth in those waters, but still felt sketchy given the time of day. Thought maybe it was just a big fish.

When I got back in to the beach there was another group of swimmers standing around talking about "those jellyfish as big as dustbin lids". They showed up for the swim on race morning too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
schroeder wrote:

By a jogger?

Queue up thread "Things you never thought you'd have to deal with during a run"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In an Xterra race in Virgina about 10 years ago, the lake swim went around a small island / big rock in the lake. The lead swimmer was swimming near the edge and a nesting goose decided he was a threat and attacked him! He was not seriously hurt, but did abandon the race with some pretty nasty bites around his neck and arms. I only got 3rd hand stories when I finished the race later, but I heard a kayak spotter scurried over and shooed the attacking bird away then evac'd the poor swimmer.

One of the best DNF stories ever!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply