Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes?
Quote | Reply
Couple friends signed up and looking at it for 2017, but recall reading the thread re the participant that was killed this year at the IM, and seem to remember people saying that the bike course thru HWY 36 simply wasn't safe given the road width.

I am assuming the 70.3 is just one loop of the IM. Have they made any changes to the course or planned traffic patterns if anyone knows? Looking for a little local knowledge if available here before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to hear on the posters question too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race this year....experienced 3 very close calls on the bike, witnessed a guy get side swiped, saw a my first dead body (going through Niowat was a cluster fuck)........had to run around hippie after hippe on the run course.

Don't think I would ever do this race again, A comple joke for an ironman.....
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the bike course is going to change?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IRONMAN changed, but still includes said sweeping right downhill where the death occurred. It should include the same hill on the 70.3--haven't raced it in a few years so I haven't bothered to look at that course. It's really not even a steep hill, I think more a combination of the amount of traffic & close quarters of the cars on a 2 lane road. City/county could mark the white line better on that downhill (or again), but Boulder has become a super busy city from the sleepy little town many grew up with & heard about over the tri scene explosion. I will say that the Boulder Peak completely excludes this part of the course where there are so many concerns between Broadway/36 & Neva Rd.

There really are few alternatives to get out north of Boulder aside from Hwy 36 that require mostly right hand turns (so you wouldn't have to cross over traffic). Even as is, there are several left hand turns on the new course which are primarily secondary country roads--which again, seem slightly busier than country roads from 20 years ago due to population increases in the Boulder to Longmont area.

The hill you are all talking about...

Last edited by: Rocky M: Apr 9, 17 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sloth wrote:
Does anyone know if the bike course is going to change?

for the Ironman or the 70.3? If you're talking about the Ironman, then yes.
I've done a full post on the new course including course files and a video ride through

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
I did the race this year....experienced 3 very close calls on the bike, witnessed a guy get side swiped, saw a my first dead body (going through Niowat was a cluster fuck)........had to run around hippie after hippe on the run course.

Don't think I would ever do this race again, A comple joke for an ironman.....

What are you talking about? You must have done the wrong 70.3 course, but bravo on finding hippies to run around out at the Res. You deserve a medal just for that.

But any chance you ever get to bash Boulder or any town on the front range, sure enough, here comes Beachboy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to answer the actual question regarding the Boulder 70.3 bike course, I personally have not heard of any changes from last year's course, but that's just me.

Regarding the particular section where the accident was, that has been a part of every triathlon I have ever done in Boulder and I am not even aware of any that have not used that section. People have also discussed the accident and its contributing factors pretty exhaustively in other threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice pic, they definitely need to stripe that section of road for added safety.

That downhill/uphill area always seems a little narrower than the other parts of 36. Maybe they just need to make this a no passing zone. I've tended to bomb the downhill here so I can make it up 90% of the uphill section.

And get rid of the freaking cones! They make everything worse. I've never felt unsafe during any race except when they put all the cones on the diagonal. Bikers going every which way to avoid the cones.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 bike course safety.... any changes? [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've ever done Boulder Peak, that course does NOT include this section of road from Broadway/28th, to Left Hand Canyon. Unless you count the single year where they were reconstructing Left Hand Canyon & had no other choice but to use this--but there was no "Olde Stage" hill that year (the Peak) in the Boulder Peak name.
Quote Reply