Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [crpark0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crpark0 wrote:
To everyone that keeps telling me I need to be wrenching on my own bike - I CAN do this, I've just finally reached a point in my life where I can afford to pay someone to do this on a regular basis. I have chosen the route of supporting my local bike shops.

All too often I hear people tell me things can be found $5 cheaper online for the same item. This is generally true, but I feel it's important to support our LBS's. Good shops provide cycling awareness in the community, promote local events, and provide that much needed "ohh crap I got a flat and I'm out of spare tubes" relief.

You all have helped me realize the main problem I've had with my situation is the local shop and not Trek, but I completely disagree with the comments about needing to do all of my own work. I will continue to have shops perform my work, but will definitely not return to the Trek store in Boca Raton!

+1

I'm with you here. I know only the basics of bike maintenance so you're ahead of me there but I sure prefer a good LBS to work on my bike. 1) in my case, they're far better at it. 2) it saves me time 3) I want to support my LBS

I may my bikes from LBS and if I'm in the shop I try to buy something that I currently need even if I know I can find it cheaper online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I completely understand supporting the good LBS's. But what happens when you are stranded 40 miles away from home and no one can come pick you up? What happens when you travel with your bike to a race? Do you really trust a Cervelo or specialized dealer shop to work on your highly integrated Trek?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree everyone should have knowledge on how to do basic maintenance on their bike and I carry most of what I need to get myself out of crappy situations on the road. That doesn't change my mentality that I will support my LBS every chance I get (once I find one I trust). There is a difference between paying someone to do maintenance and handling emergency situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local bike shops are a complete rip off.

Most of the time they have a 20 year old rookie working on your bike.

And even when they have a 40 year old guy working on your bike, they don't know any better either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does your bike shop charge for a Michelin Pro 4 Service Course clincher tire?

I'd guess about $63 each.

You should be able to buy them online for $32 each with a tube included, free shipping, and no sales tax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crpark0 wrote:
I agree everyone should have knowledge on how to do basic maintenance on their bike and I carry most of what I need to get myself out of crappy situations on the road. That doesn't change my mentality that I will support my LBS every chance I get (once I find one I trust). There is a difference between paying someone to do maintenance and handling emergency situations.

I like to support my LBS too when prices are reasonable, etc.

But, the doing your own maintenance thing, its like others have pointed out, even at a great LBS, your bike could still be worked on by someone who doesn't have a lot of experience. That is one big reason I like to do things myself. I think many folks on here have had times when their LBS's unintentionally made big mistakes on their bikes.
Happened to me this past year, LBS 'did me a favor' by adjusting the play out of my zipp hub....they didn't realize there was supposed to be some play in it as per Zipp. Ended up doing 2 goal 70.3 races and 1 Olympic race with a rear axle that was hard to spin by hand, until I finally noticed it while packing my wheels...

These new super bikes are more complicated than ever, best person to trust is yourself IMHO. Has nothing to do with supporting your shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
. But what happens when you are stranded 40 miles away from home and no one can come pick you up?

Dafuq? Ever heard of Uber????
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [SpeedConcept1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedConcept1 wrote:
stevej wrote:
. But what happens when you are stranded 40 miles away from home and no one can come pick you up?

Dafuq? Ever heard of Uber????

Of course.... but wouldn't you want to fix your bike so you could finish your ride before resorting to uber?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely but who doesn't go out on a 40+ miler without consumables? ie: extra tube (or 2), co2 kit, levers, patches, etc. <---- That stuff is a given. NOBODY is gonna carry a headset bearing or anything like that in fear that one might fail on the ride. The failure the OP experienced was not anything that could be fixed or even addressed during his IM race. With the money those IM crooks charge for those races I can't blame him for chancing the ride in the way it was.

The shop down there in Boca is absolutely to blame, but there is a part of me that thinks Trek as a corporation ought to come to the table and at least reach out to the OP and address the problem. At the end of the day it's not like it was an independent shop that just happens to sell Trek bikes. It was a Trek BRANDED bike shop. They should be holding those shops to higher standards and their mechanics should be required to take continuing education classes and be certified. At least that helps weed out the liberals that are just there to collect a paycheck to support their marijuana habit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How much does your bike shop charge for a Michelin Pro 4 Service Course clincher tire?

You should be able to buy them online for $32 each with a tube included, free shipping, and no sales tax.

Is this still operational?
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

And I can rent a woman for an hour that looks like your mom for a mere fraction of what it cost your dad to marry her. My point being, what's your comment have to do with the price of tea in china?

Who cares what a LBS sells a tire and tube for? Don't like the price, don't buy it. That is supply and demand, AKA Economics 101. Go back to sleep.
Last edited by: SpeedConcept1: Oct 27, 16 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crpark0 wrote:
To everyone that keeps telling me I need to be wrenching on my own bike - I CAN do this, I've just finally reached a point in my life where I can afford to pay someone to do this on a regular basis. I have chosen the route of supporting my local bike shops.

All too often I hear people tell me things can be found $5 cheaper online for the same item. This is generally true, but I feel it's important to support our LBS's. Good shops provide cycling awareness in the community, promote local events, and provide that much needed "ohh crap I got a flat and I'm out of spare tubes" relief.

You all have helped me realize the main problem I've had with my situation is the local shop and not Trek, but I completely disagree with the comments about needing to do all of my own work. I will continue to have shops perform my work, but will definitely not return to the Trek store in Boca Raton!

I love the idea of supporting your LBS, but I struggle with the fact it takes them always a couple of days to do whatever is requested. Add to that the loss of time for bringing the bike to the store, and picking if up afterwards.

Back in the days, when I only owned one bike and was still in the single sport of cycling, it always annoyed me so much I had to miss at least 3 training days.

I decided to start wrenching on my own bike, and be back in the saddle often the same day. As a result, due to the preventive maintenance, I never had to deal with major components breaking down, apart from the normal wear and tear on items such as cassettes, brake pads, chains, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [18Argon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this problem. The last two times I took a couple bikes to two different shops instead of fixing something myself resulted in a poorly shifting bikes and left over loose bolts I was fixing on the side of the road. I'll do my own, thank you very much. I just don't trust the shops around me. The shifting was terrible on my roadie to the point I couldn't get up to the big ring. How do you mess that up?
Quote Reply
Re: Lost Faith in Trek - Looking for new Brand [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now when something goes wrong, I only have myself to blame...
Quote Reply

Prev Next