Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Panama Officially Cancelled.
Quote | Reply
Sad news for this race. Someone knows what happened?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Panama Officially Cancelled. [vbrazon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many early season races in the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico region now. Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, St. Croix, Campeche, and Monterrey. You could probably throw Galveston in there too. Five years ago there was only St. Croix and Galveston in that mix. I think also you have the proliferation of more races in South America that didn't exist five years ago (Peru, Buenos Aires, Ecuador, Rio, Uraguay, Colombia) that absorb the demand from travelers in that region that used to visit Panama. I don't know anything about local factors that could be at play, but looking at the number of races alone, it is a much more competitive landscape for races in that geography now.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was registered to race this year but I had to DNS for medical reasons and actually had surgery two weeks later.

I still went down there and hung out for a week with my brother who did race. The area was pretty neat but I can tell you the logistics and organization were completely jacked up. The bike course changed 3x in the days leading up to the race, including the night before to which very few people were aware. My understanding was the RD was having all kinds of trouble with local officials over permits and traffic control and things of that nature. Not surprised it's gone.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What constituted official? When it disappears off the IM/IM70.3 map of events on Ironman.com, and is no longer listed in the schedule of races, then you know the race died. That happened several weeks ago.

That's also how I know that IM Weymouth croaked...its no longer on ironman.com without so much as a goodbye.

Maybe it will come back in 2018...sort of an every other year thing...that seems to be how the race is going.
Quote Reply