Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown)
Quote | Reply
Hey! Anybody know a good place to do 2x20min intervals (10 min. rest between) at some point during a ~ 3 hour ride from downtown Raleigh (staying at Sheraton for a wedding)?? Also supposed to ride 3 hours two other days...so any big loops or out and bike areas to ride suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance! JWA
Last edited by: HowlingFauna: Oct 25, 16 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [HowlingFauna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're going to need to drive from downtown out of town. Towards Jordan lake or N. Raleigh most likely. I swim with a dude who lives downtown and he rides his trainer except for the 1d/wk he drives 30min to go ride.

Now I've only been living here for ~ 5mo so I may be wrong. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

There are also a few other treads on riding from Raleigh in the archives

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything you said.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [HowlingFauna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine who lives near downtown takes Raleigh Blvd north to Buffaloe Road and then once Buffaloe Road crosses over 540, you're in farm country and could get a good ride in. That'd would probably about 10 miles of urban/suburban riding before you got out to some wide open roads. If you were to drive, you could park at Rolesville High School and that's right in the middle of some good rural riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could ride(drive) out towards jordan lake lots of good riding out there. But, then you'd be out of town quite a ways (30min). But that's what I would do. Tons of good riding out there. I see tons of cyclist every time we go up there.

Other than than I wouldn't try to create a 3 hour loop (60-70 miles?) maybe a 35 out and back. I find out and backs the easiest to make happen when I'm on unfamiliar terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so far everybody. Sounds like driving out a bit will be best especially on a weekday. Might try that route out of the city on Sat / Sun or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IDK how fast you are, but I'm pretty much a training whore and can show you some loops out by Jordan lake. Maybe we'll even convince BryanD to come along.

Be warned though I don't ride my TT bike bc road bikes > TT bikes, I haven't found The Saddle that makes me want to ride my TT bike and I have an extra bone in my hand that makes riding base bars uncomfy.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the offer to link up to ride, always up to meet new folks on the bike. The only issue is I may have to roll out at an ungodly hour of the morning w/ lights, and also the scheduling will probs be last minute based on what my family is up to. Basically going there for a family wedding and just started a new training plan I'm trying to not drop the ball on in the 2nd week :-)

Re: speed, I have only my road bike and I am *supposed* to do ~3 hours each on friday / sat / and sunday, one of the days with the 2x20 mins @ ~4.6 w/kg (380ish for me) in the middle....and the other days at just ~3.2 avg. w/kg (250-260ish) for the whole ride if I can do it. I may end up cutting the rides closer to 2 hours if I need to, we'll see. Staying at the sheraton downtown. I'll probs do the 2x20 day on Saturday or Sunday, after trying to find a good place to do the intervals on the Friday / Sat rides, respectively, etc.

If any of that still sounds fun get at me maybe we can link up, but be forewarned will likely be a shitshow scheduling / logistics-wise. Cheers, JWA (atwelljw@gmail.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HowlingFauna wrote:
Hey! Anybody know a good place to do 2x20min intervals (10 min. rest between) at some point during a ~ 3 hour ride from downtown Raleigh (staying at Sheraton for a wedding)?? Also supposed to ride 3 hours two other days...so any big loops or out and bike areas to ride suggestions are welcomed! Thanks in advance! JWA

Ilivd close to downtown Raleigh about 5 or 6 years ago.
Driving to Jordan is the best option but I did ride from home fairly often. Not sure how much roads or traffic has changed in 5 years but here is a ride I would do. (changed it so it starts around Sheraton I think)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1334544766

Most prob not long enough for 3 hours as laid outbut there are sections you can do 20min intervals and you can look at it and add some loops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go east. Mid morning on weekdays or early morning on weekdays you can ride out Garner Road towards Clayton. Lovely riding, little traffic once off Garner Road.

Something like this, but keep going east after Turnipseed. https://www.strava.com/activities/595608535
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC - Where can I do 2x20s on my bike!? (during a 3 hr ride from downtown) [rbtripp5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn thanks everybody y'all are the best!! Helping me get it done, awesome, truly appreciated !
Quote Reply