Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that summary helps you understand it better, great!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually...I'm going to rephrase...

if that interpretation helps you understand it better, great.

Cheers!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear I'm not trying to troll. My point, in case it wasn't clear, is that the Trek language is warning people to be especially careful with trainers that comprise 99.9 percent (actually, probably more) of the trainer market. It's written as though there's some sub-category of trainers for which special care is warranted, and in a way that none of us could confidently decipher without further explanation from you (and whatever my faults, I'm fairly literate). Anyway, thanks for clarifying!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've rode mine on the trainer and never had issues, I think what helped me though was riding while on carpet and not a solid floor, the trainer itself ever so slightly rocks side to side when I get out of the saddle and sprint, its really forgiving and gives it more feel of out on the road. I know when I moved it to my dining room for a couple of rides it felt much more rigid and I could see where you could apply some serious torque. I'm on a cervelo R2 with a tacx vortex and I can sprint all I want with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries! I knew posting anything on the topic would bring a bunch of questions. My sense is that the language of the manual predates the widespread use of powermeters (indoors) and spin classes...where big efforts and/or out-of-saddle intervals are a key element of the workout...i.e. something many riders take for granted these days.

I should also note that one of the many development tests Trek does above and beyond the industry norms looks rather like a really strong rider is locked into a truly rigid trainer (this is in addition to the ISO chainstay fatigue test, where the rear end is allowed to rock side to side). Passing this doesn't mean the trainer concern goes away, but maybe it'll add a little margin when you forget your head and try to come around a virtual Nizzolo.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I guess I got the excuse I needed to sell my Kickr and buy a Taxc Neo

Personally, I just put a bike on the trainer that I don't care too much about. I don't mind riding on the trainer with my race bike every once in a while but it does make me nervous, especially if I'm doing shorter intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not put my fancy carbon bikes on a trainer. Well, by new bike is a Dimond so I can't do so but my previous bikes (Felt B2, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Trek SC) either saw rare use of the trainer (Felt, Gen 1 SC) or never saw the trainer (Gen 2 SC).

While I'm sure everything would have been fine using the bikes on a trainer, there's also no good that came come from it either... at least as far as your bike is concerned. You are putting undue stress on the bike no matter what. I'm fine with having my aluminum roadie attached to the trainer 24/7 and leaving the fancy bike riding to when I go outdoors.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 26, 16 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you further define what is considered monster watts? pretty sure I don't have those, but it is rather vague. are you saying no 400w intervals, no 800w intervals or no 1500w intervals?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [tcaldwell369] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tcaldwell369 wrote:
I've rode mine on the trainer and never had issues, I think what helped me though was riding while on carpet and not a solid floor, the trainer itself ever so slightly rocks side to side when I get out of the saddle and sprint, its really forgiving and gives it more feel of out on the road. I know when I moved it to my dining room for a couple of rides it felt much more rigid and I could see where you could apply some serious torque. I'm on a cervelo R2 with a tacx vortex and I can sprint all I want with it.

I agree. If you have some padding under it, you can feel it give a little bit side-to-side. Just a tiny bit of give can make a huge difference on materials. Also, I stand and climb calmly while trying to keep the bike vertically straight. Maybe 300 watts max.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive pushed many 800+ watt intervals, followed by several minute out of the saddle climbing and sprinting, seriously its awesome with carpet, ive even cut a scrap piece just for if I train somewhere without any padding. Plus it really cuts down on noise as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I asked Parlee about this, they said they had no restrictions on using their frames in trainers.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope. because as soon as I throw a number out there it'll ignite a firestorm of questions and arguments regarding the science behind it, and what-ifs, and anecdotes & counter-anecdotes & counter^n anecdotes. what one person understands and another person thinks they understand sufficiently is the same thing yet another needs a peer-reviewed white paper written for...error bars and all.

it's entertaining to watch that kind of thing play out in the Lavender Room...not so much here.

/rant

Jeff, I know you're a strong rider, but I know nothing else about how you ride or what constitutes a hard interval for you. In my mind's eye I envision my scrawny son out of the saddle violently sawing the frame back and forth at a wattage that would barely raise your heart rate and that being potentially more risky (when locked into a rigid trainer) than a rock-solid & smooth you in the saddle @900w. I hope you see the difficulty here in answering your question. And that my mini-rant wasn't directed at you personally.

And that I fully appreciate the irony of having just thrown a pseudo-anecdotal what-if out there to try and make my point :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I personally would still exercise caution with something like that when it comes to laying down the megawatts.

That is a good excuse not to do megawatt intervals on the trainer, only do kilowatt intervals on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here`s a good video to watch - he mentions only issues using a carbon frame on the trainer is not wiping the sweat off the bike which get into the nooks and crannies of the frame. Personally i still do not stand while doing hard sprints or all out sprints even when seated.

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Last edited by: dennism: Oct 26, 16 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon bike on a trainer [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my pink button was broken. glad to see yours isn't. ;-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so essentially, I will take it, that you(trek) are more concerned about the bar torqueing folks. I don't sprint on the trainer, I do stand but as a reprieve from saddle intermittently and it Is completely different than standing outside. outside bike is thrown under me, inside I am essentially hopping from pedal to pedal but not actually hopping(can do this one handed) rarely do I exceed 400w on trainer and when I do, it Is seated. mostly SS and below. but I get what your pink font is saying. maybe a pink paper is in order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The primary concern is further back than the bars of course, but inasmuch as bar-torquers may be frame-rockers too, yes. Thanks for understanding.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next