Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike not in the cards yet
Quote | Reply
After 5 seasons in triathlon buying a new tri bike is definitely wanted but is not a need due to current budget. My current tri bike is a 2012 kestrel airfoil pro sl which has done the job for a mop triathlete like myself. I am in need of some component upgrade advice. Currently have flo 60-90 combo with disc cover/aero helmet/adamo saddle. Was wondering if getting a new crankset and carbon aero bars/handlebars would be beneficial. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New bike not in the cards yet [Bigkat34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I new crank may be lighter, but probably won't make you faster.

Ditto with your aero bars. The fact that they are made of carbon won't make a difference. Their shape might however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bars can make a huge, huge difference. More than a frame, easily. Of course depending on what you have now.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike not in the cards yet [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current setup includes Profile Ozero Base Bar/Profile T2 + Aerobar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to me, and I could be wrong, but comfort is primary and everything else falls in line after.....I have a new slice and I'm heading that specific direction with my bike. In the spring, race wheels because they are faster. Just one persons opinion.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From one MOP to another...
IMHO, that Ozero bar is servicable. It's not fast, but not an aerodynamic travesty either. Gains here could get expensive if you go Tririg or the like. The Felt bayonet (aluminum) is likely your best bang for buck, but no idea if it'll help significantly here.
Cranksets-- I'd say your chainrings and chain are more likely to breathe new life into the feel than a new crank. Check out Praxis or Wickwerks. I was surprised how much it affected shifting. Ditto the chain--I cleaned mine regularly but it was noticable when swapping in a new Duraace one.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, save your money unless you have money to burn. My bikes are 2009 Cervelo P2's. The bike is not the issue for me. :(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New bike not in the cards yet [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
IMO, save your money unless you have money to burn. My bikes are 2009 Cervelo P2's. The bike is not the issue for me. :(

+1.

OP - Save your money if you really want a new bike. Your current bike is fine and any upgrades are only going to be marginal improvements. A new bike will never be in sight if you spend money that could've been saved for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigkat34 wrote:
My current tri bike is a 2012 kestrel airfoil pro sl which has done the job for a mop triathlete like myself.

Spend your money on a quality trainer and/or TrainerRoad or similar program. ROI on either of those will beat any of the other shiny things, and you get the satisfaction of passing people with nicer bikes.

Quote Reply
Re: New bike not in the cards yet [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

+1.

OP - Save your money if you really want a new bike. Your current bike is fine and any upgrades are only going to be marginal improvements. A new bike will never be in sight if you spend money that could've been saved for it.

Agree with this. Nickel and diming yourself on parts that aren't going to make much difference is just going to keep you further away from that new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say front brake and clean up your cabling as best as you can. An Omega X on the front is a good choice... worth ~3 watts... and you'll likely be able to transfer it over to your new bike whenever you get around to it.

If you don't have a power meter I'd suggest something like the Powertap P1 Pedals which will easily transfer over to your new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike not in the cards yet [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Bars can make a huge, huge difference. More than a frame, easily. Of course depending on what you have now.
Yes but shape, and how they affect rider's position on the bike, not what they are made of. I'm sure that's what you meant. Just making it super obvious for everyone else.
Quote Reply