Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Generosity
Quote | Reply
True story from a friend sent to me this morning... I hope it makes you laugh and think twice...

----

So I was walking down the street yesterday and I came upon a homeless man begging. He was sitting on the ground shaking a cup and asking everyone for change. This guy was pretty sad. I didnt want to stare but I'm pretty sure he wasnt wearing pants and his smell rivaled Matt after chugging coffee for 6 hours, chain smoking cigarettes filled with elephant dung and sweating to the oldies. So, as he is saying he needs a dollar to buy a sandwich from the shop directly in front of us, I stopped and started feeling around in my pockets for change because I thought I had some. Unfortunately I couldnt find any and so I said I was sorry and I paused for a second to try to convey my sincerity. At this point the homeless man gets up (he was indeed not wearing pants) and starts pulling coins out of his begging cup and looks at me seriously and says........"do you need a dollar?..." At this point all my pride and dignity has been shattered, but he wasnt done. He starts to try to lead me into the sandwich shop as he is insisting on buying me food. So I say, what the hell. I walked into the shop with a pantless homeless man and he proceeds to pour his cup of change onto the counter and orders 3 cookies. Of course the overwhelming stench from this man is more than enough to enrage the owner of the store, not to mention the fact that the man is in his underwear. So here I am, wondering what my life has come to as I have to stop the owner from bludgeoning a homeless man to death with a broom. After being expelled from the shop I thanked the man for the gesture and declined his offer to "go back in there and stab that man in the eye."

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Generosity [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this doesn't pertain to all homeless people, but one time I was inside a McD's about 15 years ago, and this one guy, who was sorta known locally cause he would push a cart up and down I-75 and lived under the underpass... anyway, He was asking me for money, and I said, I'm sorry sir, I don't have that much money, but I'll gladly buy you dinner. He said he didn't want food, opened up his wallet and showed me 3 or 4 hundred dollar bills. I was like, WHOA.

He didn't offer to buy me lunch, but.... I've always thought twice about giving people money after that point. I'm all for buying people lunch or putting gas in their car so they can get some place, or helping them out with some clean clothes or something. But this guy had way more money on him than I had even in my bank account. heh.

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Generosity [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number of people who are sick/drug and alcohol addicted/mentally ill and living on the streets in this country has reached epidemic proportions and is truly sad... having said that when I was in college in DC these guys alway used to beg for change. I always used to give them change until I heard one conversation, which went like this:

Guy #1: Are you going to be out here tonight?

Guy#2: Are you kidding? It's cold out here. I am going home to watch the game"

Needless to say, I never gave them any more money. I started to pay attention, and guess what? Their clothes were always nicer and cleaner than mine.

There are some woderful people out there who have fallen on hard times. And there are others who are willing to take advantage of that fact....

Jacob
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Generosity [schro013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in DC and I know what you mean. I only give cash to the elderly or obviously mentally ill homeless. I've given my lunch to an apparent alcoholic homeless but never cash. It's interesting to note that the same people have been hanging out in the vicinity of K and Conn. Ave for the past several years.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Generosity [schro013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their clothes were always nicer and cleaner than mine.
---
those were the G'town students...

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Generosity [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty funny, or sad I guess. I constantly get guys walking up to me when on duty in the North Charleston area asking for money. One night this guy that always asks me came up & gave me the sob story about not eating for 2 days & said he needed money for food. I told him he was in luck, and pulled out a huge piece of homemade lasagna, garlic bread and steamed veggies that I hadn't had time to eat during my shift. I tried to hand it to him, he looked down, paused, then said, "man, I can't eat that shit." and asked me again for cash. I wanted to choke him.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were stuck in traffic on the way home from the grocery store one day and we saw this guy who we always see standing by the off ramp with a sign that said something like "Homeless vet needs help God bless". My girlfriend reaches in back and grabs some bread, peanut butter, a few things of granola bars and puts it in a bag and hands it out the window to the guy. He comes up, looks at it, tells us he only wants money and walks away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your story, but unfortunately mine are more like the rest of the peoples' here. I pulled to an intersection once and a homeless dude was walking by with a sign... I was coming back from a day of dirt biking, it was furiously hot outside and I had a spare ice-cold water bottle and a sandwich in my car, so I handed both of them to him, he didn't say thanks or anything. As I was driving away, I looked in my rear view mirror and he tossed them over his back and into the street.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply