Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High intensity training for long-distance/Ironman racing
Quote | Reply
Have a quick question about low volume, high intensity training for long distrance/Ironman racing vs. more traditional high volume, medium/low intensity training.

My work/travel schedule is all over the place and when I was training for IMMT this year, I peaked out at 6 hours of training per week, and most weeks were 4-5 hours per week of training. Since my work schedule didn't allow for a more traditional training regimen, I spent my few precious hours of training at very high intensity, including alot of high intensity interval training on various hotel treadmills across North America.

Based on any rational measure, I was way undertrained for an Ironman race, but I finished sub-15 hrs. My stretch goal was sub-14 hrs and if it wasn't for the weather, I think I might have been able to do it, but c'est la vie. When I did my 2 previous IM races, I followed a more traditional high volume, medium/low intensity training regimen - and my finish times were in the same ball park as this year's finish time at IMMT.

So, can somebody school me on the two approaches to training and how I should sketch out my training for next year. I imagine the optimal training is a mix of high intensity and moderate/low intensity training, but I would be interested to see what y'all think.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: High intensity training for long-distance/Ironman racing [Larchmonttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i suppose one question i have is what is your age. seems to me that would be a significant variable in answering your question.

i'm 56, your basic MOP to BOPer, with 7 iron-distance races under my belt, so this is a question that certainly catches my interest. i'm of the opinion that a lot of high-intensity efforts, notably running speed work, are injuries waiting to happen. obviously, as a nowadays 14+ hr guy myself, my PR days are behind me, so i'm looking to train conservatively with more quality, with time-managed quantity. by quality, i mean lots of hills. living presently in southern california is, by necessity, giving me that opportunity. so, i can get intensity with running on hilly trails without the brutality of speed work on the track or road, and especially without lots of running volume. of course, biking the hills has its obvious benefits.

so, to answer your question, i think that quality over quantity, at least for me at my age, is a good strategy. treadmill work with varying inclines and speeds, i think, is a fine option. of course, mix that up with slower outdoor runs when you can get them. same with the stationary bike, mix up the intensities. hey, do what you can with what you got.
Quote Reply
Re: High intensity training for long-distance/Ironman racing [Larchmonttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine that your definition of high intensity is important.
I feel that very short high intensity intervals for biking and swimming have a place in Ironman prep. For running volume and frequency are king. But longer intervals of 6 minutes plus should be useful with caveats. Injuries etc.
But I have to say if you only have six hours per week to train why not concentrate on sprint and Olympic distance? Aim for pb times and race more often?
You've already ticked the Ironman box, why the desire to do another without optimal training?
Quote Reply
Re: High intensity training for long-distance/Ironman racing [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid 40s, so we're facing similar issues. I luckily didn't get injured in the run-up to IMMT, but I think you're right...it's something to be careful about for next time.
Quote Reply
Re: High intensity training for long-distance/Ironman racing [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I imagine that your definition of high intensity is important.
I feel that very short high intensity intervals for biking and swimming have a place in Ironman prep. For running volume and frequency are king. But longer intervals of 6 minutes plus should be useful with caveats. Injuries etc.
But I have to say if you only have six hours per week to train why not concentrate on sprint and Olympic distance? Aim for pb times and race more often?
You've already ticked the Ironman box, why the desire to do another without optimal training?

I race infrequently and didn't think my work and travel schedule was going to be that busy....so I thought I could handle an IM....at least that's what I was thinking when I registered for it last fall. I completed it, but my training certainly wasn't text book. Agreed on the shorter races. Not doing an IM again with such limited training, but I do enjoy race day and I had fun nonetheless. It was quite a challenge and crossing that line is definitely magical.

And in terms of intensity...stationary biking with high resistance for 1-2 hours....almost to point of exhaustion. Running...3 min sprints, 2 min jog, 3 min sprints at faster speed, 2 min job, and repeat for 30-45 mins. Swim - I haven't mastered speed work in the pool yet.
Last edited by: Larchmonttri: Oct 25, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 hours of training per WEEK for a race that takes about 15 hours in ONE DAY! Dude, so undertrained. Think about it realistically. In one day you are doing more exercise than you do in 2 weeks. Intensity doesn't matter for an Ironman. I get that you're trying to get in quality workouts, but those intense paces are nothing like what you'll be doing in the race. Your body will be running on an entirely different fueling system and different muscle fibers than if you were doing intense intervals. You would improve a lot if you simply increased your training time for a specific race and made some sacrifices in the short term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turned 50 this year and did two full distance IM this year twelve weeks apart. I am also a surgeon and have three kids. Time management is key for me.
I used trainer road with three HIT per week (60 minutes each) and a longer aerobic ride on the weekend. From a running point of view I did one HIT with 1km repeats, one tempo run and one long run and a couple of shorter brick runs off the bike per week. It served me well as I finished both IM under 11 hours.
HIT works if planned carefully but you also need to do some injury prevention s&C training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larchmonttri wrote:
And in terms of intensity...stationary biking with high resistance for 1-2 hours....almost to point of exhaustion. Running...3 min sprints, 2 min jog, 3 min sprints at faster speed, 2 min job, and repeat for 30-45 mins. Swim - I haven't mastered speed work in the pool yet.

My guess is you have good genetics and the potential to be a competitive racer, but simply are not training very well. It sounds like you don't really use training plans or have a powermeter for the bike. Ultimately, it is a decision you will have to make on whether you want to take it to the next level or not and really see how fast you could be. That unfortunately requires a lot of commitment. There is nothing wrong with deciding there are other things more important in life than a high placing at a triathlon.
Quote Reply