Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Future? [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that just about everyone there would finish easily under 12 hours. //

Well the problem is that a very high % of people have a very bad day at Kona as compared to the one or several they did to get there. It is not that they are not great athletes, but often Kona is the parade lap to take after you worked so hard to finally get there.. That and the 115 degree heat that floats up from the hwy, with nary a shade tree in sight... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:

so, pardon if i'm missing something obvious..... this is Kona, the best of the best, have to qualify to get in (that will never be me, unless i can make it in life to the 75-79 AG....); i would think that excepting those having a very bad day, or the MUCH older AGers, that just about everyone there would finish easily under 12 hours. i know i see every year on the NBC highlight video those celebrities, or other special human interest story participants finishing later in the day....

No, not even close. Come do the race and see.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall from my last 2 Konas, we used the tritats but volunteers had to apply on our behalf. Why do they use this instead of just allowing participants to apply, similar to pros in regular WTC races?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:

so, pardon if i'm missing something obvious..... this is Kona, the best of the best, have to qualify to get in (that will never be me, unless i can make it in life to the 75-79 AG....); i would think that excepting those having a very bad day, or the MUCH older AGers, that just about everyone there would finish easily under 12 hours. i know i see every year on the NBC highlight video those celebrities, or other special human interest story participants finishing later in the day....

No, not even close. Come do the race and see.

tell you what: when i hit the AG where there are few enough in it that allows me the long shot chance to qualify, i will definitely give it a try !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if the race route was like this:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6983041

No turn around in Hawi, but is this feasible?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if Mamalahoa/190 is closed to traffic. That highway is great for riding but it's scary dangerous in places.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Future? [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physically possible, but the upper highway is the alternate traffic route to the airport and other parts of the island on race day. So this would have a big impact on local residents and would be a tough sell even if traffic was only closed in one direction. With the looped course the logistics for aide stations would stretch resources too. The descent on the Kawaihae Hwy from Waimea to the Intx with the QK on TRI bikes with lots of other riders is so steep and twisty in places that it could be vey dangerous and unforgiving.

Removing the Kuakini out/back from the start and tacking it on past Hawi would also be unpopular with residents, but could help spread out the field with minimal changes to the overall race logistics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next