Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Agree. She's brought the scrutiny on herself, but her competition ban is specific to triathlon. I almost admire the chutzpah she showed by entering this race under a semi-pseudonym, winning her class legitimately, and taking the $500 prize home before anybody figured out who she really was. It was a bit of an "F U" to the detractors who piled on her here and elsewhere; perhaps one that was at least partially justified. Maybe we'd like her to serve her ban in silent contemplation, but she's under no obligation to do so

I don't admire anything about her. I think she's a pretty sad individual. The only thing I'd like out of her is to acknowledge the mistake she made and then I'd probably feel a lot differently about her. She doesn't owe me anything but there are some people she should make some type of atonement to.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the very least she certainly needs to be apologising to the people who were denied the opportunity to celebrate at the Worlds.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
For those that are interested, Amy got second in the epic 10km age group swim in NZ today (going by "Amy Louise"):
http://www.racetecresults.com/Results.aspx?CId=16529&RId=58&EId=6
She was 28 minutes slower than the fastest woman in the elites.

Is it common in NZ to give prize money to the top amateurs??? There were 7 women in the elite race who went faster than Amy's 2:38, but prob only the top 3 won $$$. Perhaps they just raced in the wrong division but I'd be pretty PO'd if I finished 4th in the women's elite in 2:20 as Tayla Harwood did w/ zero money, while this 2:38 girl takes home $500. Also, technically Harwood was an AG-er, competing in the 16-17 yr old AG in the elite race, but I guess she's considered an up and coming elite AG-er.

As an aside, the top three elite guys were flying, going 2:00:21 to 2:00:28. IIRC, the top 3 times in the Oly 10K were 1:49:55 to 1:50:00 in 2012 and 1:53:00 to 1:53:02 in 2016, so these guys were very close to world class.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
As an aside, the top three elite guys were flying, going 2:00:21 to 2:00:28. IIRC, the top 3 times in the Oly 10K were 1:49:55 to 1:50:00 in 2012 and 1:53:00 to 1:53:02 in 2016, so these guys were very close to world class.

Not to slight what they did, because 2 hours flat for a 10k is pretty awesome under any circumstances, but at the Olympics they guys were doing it without the benefit of wet suits.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Baydad - two things. STers need to keep monitoring Amy because she has no shame, and seems to have a history of sketchy activities. We can't trust her, or the relevant governing bodies to keep her honest, or to keep the sport honest.

As for why some believe she should not be able to swim in open swim events during her ban, imagine if Lance Armstrong wins the Tour, gets popped for drugs a day later, gets banned that same day, and then starts doing triathlon the next day. Would this not seem inappropriate or problematic?

I remember Scott Tinley having to race as an elite vs. in his AG in a mountain bike race because he was "a professional athlete in a comparable sport". Seems like bans should also cover comparable sports.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Not to slight what they did, because 2 hours flat for a 10k is pretty awesome under any circumstances, but at the Olympics they guys were doing it without the benefit of wet suits.

Do you know for sure that they wore wetsuits??? I would think that, in the elite race, wetties would not be allowed, since they're not allowed in most serious OWS races.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
gary p wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Do you know for sure that they wore wetsuits??? I would think that, in the elite race, wetties would not be allowed, since they're not allowed in most serious OWS races.

Pictures clearly show the winner in a wetsuit: https://twitter.com/...?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

New FINA rules that have gone into effect since the Olympics require wet suits for water temps below 18*C, and allow them (optional) at water temps between 18* and 20*C.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 20, 17 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
gary p wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Pictures clearly show the winner in a wetsuit: https://twitter.com/...?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
New FINA rules that have gone into effect since the Olympics require wet suits for water temps below 18*C, and allow them (optional) at water temps between 18* and 20*C.

Ah, I see, thanks. I did not know FINA had changed the OW rules. I wonder of the Marathon Swimmers Assoc (MSA) is going to allow wetsuits in 20* C and under swims??? Will the English Channel swim group change their rules too??? Both of these groups have been pretty adamant in their disdain of wetties in the past. :)

ETA: I just looked at the MSA web site about 3 months ago, and they were still saying no wetties for official records.

Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
Agree. She's brought the scrutiny on herself, but her competition ban is specific to triathlon. I almost admire the chutzpah she showed by entering this race under a semi-pseudonym, winning her class legitimately, and taking the $500 prize home before anybody figured out who she really was. It was a bit of an "F U" to the detractors who piled on her here and elsewhere; perhaps one that was at least partially justified. Maybe we'd like her to serve her ban in silent contemplation, but she's under no obligation to do so

I don't admire anything about her. I think she's a pretty sad individual. The only thing I'd like out of her is to acknowledge the mistake she made and then I'd probably feel a lot differently about her. She doesn't owe me anything but there are some people she should make some type of atonement to.

I wholeheartedly agree. I especially think it's poor form that she's gone and dropped her poor coach in the shit as well. A very sad individual.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA to our UK based friends. I've heard on the wire that Miss Stretton has fled New Zealand back to the UK to avoid a court date for forging a document.... The same thing she's got a bit of a track history for doing as noted in the TriNZ brief.

Expect her to attempt to turn up at races / events in the summer months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chicks are like Voltron, the more you can get, the better it is." -Tucker
Quote Reply
Re: Strange swim time leads to winning AG World Championship? ITU Long Distance Worlds 2016 [AlphaQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlphaQ wrote:
PSA to our UK based friends. I've heard on the wire that Miss Stretton has fled New Zealand back to the UK to avoid a court date for forging a document.... The same thing she's got a bit of a track history for doing as noted in the TriNZ brief.
Expect her to attempt to turn up at races / events in the summer months.

Man, that girl just has NO shame at all, zero, nada, zilch. She needs some sort of psychological counseling.

Quote Reply

Prev Next