Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dear Desoto sports
Quote | Reply

Probably heretical for a clothing company, but it would be great (for me anyway) if you could start a classics division- most notably to bring back the old Forza shorts. These are the best Tri shorts ever. Unfortunately the current lower band just does not work for me. I also really like the old school tops.

Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the tri bib shorts. I will never go back to regular shorts again.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

I do wish they still made bibs with an option for the thinner pad, the 7mm ceramico is certainly substantial
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

x2. And the new Tri "Fly" bibs are awesome! Just wore them from start to finish at the IM NC Full(ish) race.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:

Probably heretical for a clothing company, but it would be great (for me anyway) if you could start a classics division- most notably to bring back the old Forza shorts. These are the best Tri shorts ever. Unfortunately the current lower band just does not work for me. I also really like the old school tops.

Totally agree!!!!!!!

I have several pairs of older Forzas. A 2008 version, 2010 version, 2012 version and 2014 version. I thought the 2008 and 2012 versions were the best for different reasons. The 2010 version were cut funny and the waist drops down when running. Pad size was too big on the 2014. My 2008 versions are giving out. If DeSoto made the 2008 version for under $50 with a fleece pad, I think it would be a huge seller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is too funny! I just had to stop using mine (except for the trainer) as the seat has almost completely worn away. I have the exact same black Forza's circa 2010 and they are the best. I used them all the time...and a good value too. Tip of the cap to a great product!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will custom make, just email them direct with the request.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forza is classic?

How about the electric blue tri shorts circa 2001, those need to be brought back immediately.

Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree!!!!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I drifted away from Desoto as the stitching in Ceramico pad on Forza 4 pocket was digging into my groin giving me saddle sores all the time. I have since been on Zoot and SLS3 with some peace. Just found Mobius on sale and ordered it wanting to give it another shot. Been a long time fan of Desoto stuff. With Forza, I did run into durability issues and the pad stitching. The right inner thigh/groin area was coming unstitched on three different shorts I had. I do not have time and money to send stuff back for repairs, just too much for me to handle.
I am optimistic that a thinner pad in Mobius will be a better fit and less rubbing, maybe last longer. Would love to go back to Desoto. Already a huge fan of wetsuit, the only one I found not terribly restrictive in shoulders. Have long sleeve and sleeveless. Had some of my fastest swims in sleeveless though.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Forza is classic?

How about the electric blue tri shorts circa 2001, those need to be brought back immediately.

Yes! I think I still have these in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. I definitely still have the black ones which I now use in the winter under tights for running. They are too worn out and thin to ride in, but the thin padding at least provides a little protection in the cold for the old nether region.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a real hard time squaring something in my head...people love Desoto products (and the owner seems to stand behind them 100%) but they are honestly the only line of apparel that has not worked for me.

And by that I mean that their split running shorts chafed me so bad I had blood running down my thighs 8 miles in, and their 400 mile bib shorts are the only bibs that i find to be noticeably abrasive to a particularly important and sensitive male appendage.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
I have a real hard time squaring something in my head...people love Desoto products (and the owner seems to stand behind them 100%) but they are honestly the only line of apparel that has not worked for me.

And by that I mean that their split running shorts chafed me so bad I had blood running down my thighs 8 miles in, and their 400 mile bib shorts are the only bibs that i find to be noticeably abrasive to a particularly important and sensitive male appendage.

Yeah sometimes it just doesn't work but I think the reason behind a lot of the love is just being treated very well by the company. For example, would I ever be able to send back a pair of Castellis if the stitching was failing and have it repaired free of charge just the cost of my shipping to Desoto? Doubtful. Also, if I just don't like fit/feel would I be able to send it back and have a full refund? Or would I be able to call and get a free piece of forza fabric after my stupid cycling seat wore a whole in my bib shorts so I could repair it myself since it was no fault of the product or company?

Plus as people have noted, this stuff just LASTS practically forever. I mean my running shorts from 2009 are still going strong and I wear/wash them every week so that's well over 300 uses. Yes, I paid a "premium" but they have easily paid for themselves. My 2008 forza are just really starting to show serious wear and they have got me through all my IMs and all my serious ultras/marathons as well over these past 8 years. Again, these are worn every week.

As for the OP, I think everyone gravitates towards a model they like and are usually disappointed by any changes. For example, I like the "blue" 400 mile pad and really don't like the new ceramico stuff but totally understand that they change/tweak stuff to improve everyone's experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You picked two of their worst products in my opinion. I don't know how anyone can run in their "run" shorts; they are essentially a bathing suit so I hear your pain on that front. 400-mile short is too bulky at least for me. But, having said that, their tri shorts and trisuits are very nice and last and last and last. And, they have some other nice products like skin coolers, etc. I also love their long sleeve winter hoody--great base layer when weather dips below 35.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly hope so (that they are the worst of the product line). I still have the run shorts; Emilio (again, great guy) told me to wash them a few times so I did and tried them again. 3 miles into a run and same story.

It's remarkable really, in a bad way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I can't believe you even made it through a run with them. They are rather coarse. Just feeling them I realized no way could I run in them but I do (recreational) swim in them sometimes. They really have a very strong overall product line and great customer service
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 30, 16 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:
I certainly hope so (that they are the worst of the product line). I still have the run shorts; Emilio (again, great guy) told me to wash them a few times so I did and tried them again. 3 miles into a run and same story.

It's remarkable really, in a bad way.

To each their own when it comes to clothing and fit. I have 3 different pair of run shorts and love each of them. I've lost count of how many years I've had one pair and use them a couple of times per week without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treimink wrote:

I think that Desoto has the best tri short bar none. Unfortunately, everything else that I have tried from them has not worked for me. The tri-tops have a very strange fit (that doesn't work for me or for others as I tried to give them away and I had them given back to me). The run shorts chafe. The cycle jersey is ok. I have not tried the wetsuit and that seems to be the other product that people love from Desoto.

I noticed that the guy who waxed poetic about Desoto skin cooler in a post this month posted pictured of himself in his Desoto tri tops and in every picture he had the zipper down about 2 inches because the Desoto neck opening is too small and strangles you. The jersey wrinkles and bulges in ways that should make the aero gurus on this forum cringe.

The customer service is great. It is fantastic that Emilio is on here and is so supportive of triathlon. But I have found everything but the tri short (which I own nine pairs of from various different years) to be pretty non compelling.

Sorry. Wish it weren't so.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
treimink wrote:

I think that Desoto has the best tri short bar none. Unfortunately, everything else that I have tried from them has not worked for me. The tri-tops have a very strange fit (that doesn't work for me or for others as I tried to give them away and I had them given back to me). The run shorts chafe. The cycle jersey is ok. I have not tried the wetsuit and that seems to be the other product that people love from Desoto.

I noticed that the guy who waxed poetic about Desoto skin cooler in a post this month posted pictured of himself in his Desoto tri tops and in every picture he had the zipper down about 2 inches because the Desoto neck opening is too small and strangles you. The jersey wrinkles and bulges in ways that should make the aero gurus on this forum cringe.

The customer service is great. It is fantastic that Emilio is on here and is so supportive of triathlon. But I have found everything but the tri short (which I own nine pairs of from various different years) to be pretty non compelling.

I don't mind their tri tops but I went down a size to get the fit I want. They are still very long compared to pretty much any other manufacturer's top, so it worked better for me.

I also bought one of their wetsuits last season and it has been great.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
treimink wrote:

Funny you say that as I have a relatively thick neck and haven't noticed any issues with their tops (I have several of their cycling jerseys and sds shirts) and often have the jerseys zipped all the way. I find the skin cooler long sleeve shirt to be absolutely awesome for running. Have worn it for many races between 5k and full marathon from 40 degrees to 90+ and I can't imagine anything more comfortable. Somehow the way the fabric fits me it doesn't chafe at all.

The cycling shorts and bibs suit me really well also. Overall it's become my favorite sport clothing company. I just wish they made a pair of forza 4 pocket shorts and tights without the pad to use for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love their tri stuff, especially the tri bibs, but damn I wish they made them with a thinner pad. Feels fine on the bike, feels like wearing a diaper on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Desoto sports [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
Forza is classic?

Yes! I think I still have these in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. I definitely still have the black ones which I now use in the winter under tights for running. They are too worn out and thin to ride in, but the thin padding at least provides a little protection in the cold for the old nether region.

I totally agree! I love the early 2000 Desoto shorts. I still have 3, two black and a silver. I do more long OWS races these days and I still prefer these to my Speedo suits when I race. EMILIO, BRING EM BACK!
Quote Reply