Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Obamacare update... [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
The ACA could have had good potential but the Democrats and Republicans were eaten alive by the powerful lobbyist. Despite what the media wants you to believe, the Democrats are as much under the spell of the lobbyist as the Republicans.

To help control costs, the government should have been allowed to negotiate for better pricing on drugs. This is a HUGE business (the federal government) and their size would have allowed them to get better pricing. It would have gone a long ways toward lowering our already expensive healthcare costs (and made the ACA more affordable).

Hospitals can continue to charge what they want. Besides the Big Pharma lobby, the hospitals jumped in too and wanted to make sure their profits were not lost. Normally, hospitals claim they have to charge $100 for a Tylenol because of all the indigent care they provide ("it balances out") but the evidence does not justify this explanation (even before the ACA). The hospital super bill is a huge convoluted mess and continues to costs the American public billions. Congress could have asked for sharp changes and did nothing

The medical product industry was another lobby group that made their way to the ACA dinner table and came away fat. Congress could have negotiated prices with this industry as well. They make billions from medical supplies and equipment as well as surgical "parts". They pretty much charge what they want and get away with it. Same as the drug industry.

How do you do that when both sides of the negotiations are paid by the same people?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [runningwilddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningwilddave wrote:
I get to chip in, too.

We are self employed, no kids. We're 31 and 27. No tobacco, no health history at all.

Monthly premium is up to $728 next year with a $10,400 deductible.

2016 premium is $535 with the same deductible, so up 36%.

We view it truly as insurance-it's protection in the event of something catastrophic that would otherwise bankrupt us and cost us our business (and our livelihood plus the jobs of our 6 employees). For $8,700 a year, though, we can not afford it. It's more than the mortgage on our house, and we don't have anything else to cut. We own 1 car with 95k miles on it, no cable, we don't even have home internet.

At this point, if something does happen, we can't pay a $10,400 deductible anyway so we're SOL. I don't know what our option is. We were stretched thin this year, so another $200/month won't happen.

A friend of mine, he is a surgical scrub tech with a wife and two small children, has a very similar situation. His deductible is $13,000 and his monthly payment is over $600. He chose to take the penalty when it got this high because it was going to suck away their entire paychecks (and then not even be useful because of the $13,000 deductible). Your situation is repeated all over the nation and shows why Obamacare is mostly "all talk" but not really worth the paper its written on. The Democrats were allowed to proclaim "look at all the people we gave health insurance" but no concern if it was actually useful or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
eye3md wrote:
The ACA could have had good potential but the Democrats and Republicans were eaten alive by the powerful lobbyist. Despite what the media wants you to believe, the Democrats are as much under the spell of the lobbyist as the Republicans.

To help control costs, the government should have been allowed to negotiate for better pricing on drugs. This is a HUGE business (the federal government) and their size would have allowed them to get better pricing. It would have gone a long ways toward lowering our already expensive healthcare costs (and made the ACA more affordable).

Hospitals can continue to charge what they want. Besides the Big Pharma lobby, the hospitals jumped in too and wanted to make sure their profits were not lost. Normally, hospitals claim they have to charge $100 for a Tylenol because of all the indigent care they provide ("it balances out") but the evidence does not justify this explanation (even before the ACA). The hospital super bill is a huge convoluted mess and continues to costs the American public billions. Congress could have asked for sharp changes and did nothing

The medical product industry was another lobby group that made their way to the ACA dinner table and came away fat. Congress could have negotiated prices with this industry as well. They make billions from medical supplies and equipment as well as surgical "parts". They pretty much charge what they want and get away with it. Same as the drug industry.

How do you do that when both sides of the negotiations are paid by the same people?

Bingo!!! There's no way we will ever get real costs reductions unless the drug, medical product, and hospital industries are no longer involved in the lobbying business. I believe in capitalism but there also has to be room for negotiation of prices. I'm a physician and wish I could do like big pharma and name my price (and get paid for it). There's nothing in place that makes these companies want to control costs. As long as the government will pay whatever they ask, they have zero incentive to change. As long as congress is in their back pockets, there will be no change
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
runningwilddave wrote:
I get to chip in, too.

We are self employed, no kids. We're 31 and 27. No tobacco, no health history at all.

Monthly premium is up to $728 next year with a $10,400 deductible.

2016 premium is $535 with the same deductible, so up 36%.

We view it truly as insurance-it's protection in the event of something catastrophic that would otherwise bankrupt us and cost us our business (and our livelihood plus the jobs of our 6 employees). For $8,700 a year, though, we can not afford it. It's more than the mortgage on our house, and we don't have anything else to cut. We own 1 car with 95k miles on it, no cable, we don't even have home internet.

At this point, if something does happen, we can't pay a $10,400 deductible anyway so we're SOL. I don't know what our option is. We were stretched thin this year, so another $200/month won't happen.

A friend of mine, he is a surgical scrub tech with a wife and two small children, has a very similar situation. His deductible is $13,000 and his monthly payment is over $600. He chose to take the penalty when it got this high because it was going to suck away their entire paychecks (and then not even be useful because of the $13,000 deductible). Your situation is repeated all over the nation and shows why Obamacare is mostly "all talk" but not really worth the paper its written on. The Democrats were allowed to proclaim "look at all the people we gave health insurance" but no concern if it was actually useful or not.

Same here.

I am 31, haven't been to a doctor since I broke my leg when I was a kid, no tobacco, 6' 170lbs. Wife is 29 110lbs, healthy, doesn't go to the doctor or take any meds.

Two years ago her individual plan was $242, it went up every year till 2016 when it went to $450 and we quit paying it. I have a short term catastrophic plan that only lasts 10 months then I have to wait 3 months before I can apply again, it is $75 per month.

If we both wanted to be insured it would be in the $650-700 per month range. For reference our mortgage is $1,200. So for now she is uninsured and I have a plan that will keep us out of bankruptcy if I crash my bike.

According to the government we are both insured.

I would be more than happy to go back to the good old days of $50-60 per month catastrophic plans with $10k deductibles. Our deductible for $700 per month is the same so either way it is going to be damn painful financially if something happens, but at least the coverage was commensurate with the price. Now thanks to the ACA you can't have a catastrophic plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you vote for obama?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Did you vote for obama?

That's my policy. . . .if you voted for Obama you can't bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hell no.

Would have been nice if the spineless reps in congress had done more to stop the ACA.

I work in insurance, most people who do saw the ACA for what it is. Just a way to collapse the system so people will beg for single payer. Plan is working swimmingly so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Did you vote for obama?

That's my policy. . . .if you voted for Obama you can't bitch.

My policy isn't as nice as yours.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Hell no.

Would have been nice if the spineless reps in congress had done more to stop the ACA.

I work in insurance, most people who do saw the ACA for what it is. Just a way to collapse the system so people will beg for single payer. Plan is working swimmingly so far.

By "reps" do you mean Republicans or Representatives?? Cause not a single Republican in the House or Senate voted for it. After the death of Ted Kennedy and the upset victory by Scott Brown(R) the Dems forced the final version thru by using reconciliation instead of the normal procedures which the Republicans would have been able to block since the Dems no longer had a 60 seat supermajority.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Hell no.

By "reps" do you mean Republicans or Representatives?? Cause not a single Republican in the House or Senate voted for it. After the death of Ted Kennedy and the upset victory by Scott Brown(R) the Dems forced the final version thru by using reconciliation instead of the normal procedures which the Republicans would have been able to block since the Dems no longer had a 60 seat supermajority.

Yeah, the republicans should have fought back on the reconciliation issue. They had the mandate to do so after the Scott Brown vote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did just find this gem on healthcare.gov:

"Catastrophic health insurance plans have low monthly premiums and a very high deductible — $6,850. "

I don't know how much it costs, but it says anyone under 30 can buy a catastrophic plan and be compliant. It's good to know that the bronze plans that are compliant have a deductible that is 52% higher than what they label"very high". I see the bronze plans as a $75/month catastrophic plan with a $700 tax added on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningwilddave,

I don't have a good answer for you. I have several clients who have gone the Health Share Ministries route and that may be something to consider. The two that have come up in my conversations have been Medi-Share and Samaritan Ministries. My family is in a similar position with the lone exception being that we have 4 kids. We seriously considered it but each of our kids has a health issue that our pediatric docs are watching. Thankfully, nothing serious, but still pre-existing so that excludes us from the Health Share Ministries and quite frankly scares us enough to stay w/ a catastrophic policy. There is that little "religious" requirement that needs to be passed tho . . .

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Just a way to collapse the system so people will beg for single payer. Plan is working swimmingly so far.

This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningwilddave wrote:
I did just find this gem on healthcare.gov:

"Catastrophic health insurance plans have low monthly premiums and a very high deductible — $6,850. "

I don't know how much it costs, but it says anyone under 30 can buy a catastrophic plan and be compliant. It's good to know that the bronze plans that are compliant have a deductible that is 52% higher than what they label"very high". I see the bronze plans as a $75/month catastrophic plan with a $700 tax added on.

Hmmm, used to be catas were not compliant. Might work for my wife for the next 6 months as she is 29, sadly I am 31.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [Bushido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the suggestion. I am going to do some research on the share options. It seems like a logical setup: a group of people whose actual costs are shared by the group and thus the risk is mitigated by numbers, but definitely need to look into a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningwilddave wrote:
I appreciate the suggestion. I am going to do some research on the share options. It seems like a logical setup: a group of people whose actual costs are shared by the group and thus the risk is mitigated by numbers, but definitely need to look into a bit more.

Liberty Health Share is the same sort of program but does not require the religious belief component. More of just a general belief in free markets and power to the people sort of thing.

The share markets are a good idea, some of my family are involved in Samaritan Ministries and have had good results. I don't qualify for that based on the religious component so I have never tried it. I have considered Liberty Health Share, but haven't managed to pull the proverbial trigger on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://townhall.com/...has-arrived-n2234719

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is true, should help cut the premiums though...
http://legalinsurrection.com/...r-terminal-patients/
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare update... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next