Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawaii Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I start my second new job in 2016 on Monday, and with this one, part of my portfolio is in Hawaii! I know -- it's rough. Yet, I've never been to Hawaii, and considering that I've not really had a vacation since summer 2015, the trip is going to be a workation.

Flying 04Nov from LAX to Kauai. Kauai to Oahu on the 8th. Work meeting on 9th. Oahu to Kona on the 12th. Flying the 16th back to LAX.

My gf has been before, but never done a luau. She may want to do one on Kauai, but I have a feeling that work is going to have one arranged on the 9th in Oahu. Are they that good that it's worth going to twice?

Going to do a helicopter tour on Kauai, and likely some hiking/exploring/lounging. We have no accommodations booked yet. Pearl Harbor, north shore, Diamond Head. Volcanoes National Park, Mauna Kea.

I'd like to do at least one scuba while there. Could use some recommendations on that bit. Anything missing that should be considered? Other recommendations?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Recommendations [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only help you with the Kona portion of the trip. You don't really have enough time to enjoy the entire island. What are your vacation goals? The county park at the old airport is a good place to burn a lot of time but the sand dies at the waters edge, okay for me, I'm not a beach person. But if you are, you might have a different opinion. There's also a drive up to Hawi or Waimai and taking in the farmer's market's. Or you can go down to South Point, 4 days isn't really enough for the Big Island.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Recommendations [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vacation goals? Don't really have them other than to have an enjoyable trip, relax, SCUBA, luau, heli tour, and Pearl Harbor. I'll probably be out there once a quarter, so I don't have to capture everything this go, but I'd like to make it a memorable first trip.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First pass, I'd say Kealakekua Bay for snorkelling, hike or tour boat. 2nd if you're a fisherman, learning how to fish South Point, that's going to take a number trips. IMO, as a triathlete - the ride from Kona to Hawi is a priority - even a one way up to Hawi is more than what most have done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't made arrangements yet for Kauai, you might want to consider the Poipu area for that time of year. Could be rainy on the north end.

The former Princeville Hotel now the St Regis used to have a killer luau.

If weather permits check out the hike along the Napali coastline at the north end of the island. Picnic at Tunnels Beach on the way.

Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Vacation goals? Don't really have them other than to have an enjoyable trip, relax, SCUBA, luau, heli tour, and Pearl Harbor. I'll probably be out there once a quarter, so I don't have to capture everything this go, but I'd like to make it a memorable first trip.

Instead of a helicopter trip on Kauai, you should look into a "trike" flight (Birds in Paradise). It's like a small two seater craft connected to what looks like a hang glider (but it has an engine). My wife did it and she absolutely loved it. The pilot is very experienced and he took her over Waimea Canyon and other parts of the island. It was much more "up close and personal" and she can't wait to do it again

On Kona, look into a night dive with the sting rays
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Recommendations [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hike the Napali coast in Kaiui and camp on the beach at the end of the trail.

Hike the Waimanu/Waipio coast in Hawaii. Camp on the beach there also.

Eat wild fruit and swim naked in the waterfalls.

Wave you naked balls at the dumbasses flying above the waterfall in helicopters (who are payng $500/hr and who don't touch the water or the eat the fruit).
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Recommendations [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd the Wapio hike.