Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geographically off topic - it looks like IM Weymouth was a one-n-done race this year. It's been removed from the map of races on Ironman.com and no longer shows up on the ironman schedule. All along, I thought it would be IM Wales that would go since they were so close together physically and chronologically, not to mention that Wales is the hardest race under the IM banner. Perhaps a small shake-out will occur this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Maybe Santa Rosa 70.3? Oceanside sells out pretty quickly.
I hate paying for races a year out, so in that sense it is better. A lot of one and done racers have moved on. Marathons are fading, except the big ones.
Color runs are fading too. Something new will take its place, but WTC will make money for quite a while.

One of my sons is in the race management business and they are seeing this. The new bucket list race is ultraruns. A lot of people want to say they ran an ultra, even if it is 'only' a 50K. As an aside, color runs were always a Pet Rock kind of fad.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I am worried about Cabos given that someone said only 300 in the full IM. Does anyone know why Cabos was moved to fall.

I recall it was due to the wind, sort of like IMAZ shifting from March to November.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I am worried about Cabos given that someone said only 300 in the full IM. Does anyone know why Cabos was moved to fall.

I recall it was due to the wind, sort of like IMAZ shifting from March to November.

It seems like it may be better to have a windy Cabos in March as a spring destination getaway than have it compete in October with the rest of the USA schedule!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

If I recall IM Florida did not sell out instantly last year after it went to a no wetsuit swim. It appears that Chattanooga did not sell out because people are scared of the heat. Maryland has the weather issues. LP used to sell out when there were no other options on the eastern seaboard, but now there are options. Louisville in the fall also makes it more attractive vs Louisville in August for racing temps. All in all, it seems WTC races are all competing with one another, which is great for us participants. I hope they keep all these events on the calendar. I am worried about Cabos given that someone said only 300 in the full IM. Does anyone know why Cabos was moved to fall.

The flip side is that you're forced indoors up to April/May training for a June race. Not necessarily a bad thing though, as you don't really need too many long rides until the last 2 months anyway.

One advantage of IMMT, for the faster folks, is your season gets compressed a little. You can KQ and knock out 2 IM's a span of 8 weeks, and be done for a while. For those with families, it seems like Fall is really really busy with new school year, events, holidays, etc. I'm compensating myself by doing a 2 on, 1 off 3 week block instead of 4 weeks. It give some more downtime and flexibility, but gains are a bit slower, though overall much easier to manage.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, the date shift has not worked for them. I think it is licensed else WTC would have killed the race. It will be interesting to see what happens to the race after this month's edition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ones I know of (and wanted to do)

Oceanside 70.3 sold out right away, same for IMLP 70.3, I also expect IMAC 70.3 to go quick when reg opens
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

If I recall IM Florida did not sell out instantly last year after it went to a no wetsuit swim. It appears that Chattanooga did not sell out because people are scared of the heat. Maryland has the weather issues. LP used to sell out when there were no other options on the eastern seaboard, but now there are options. Louisville in the fall also makes it more attractive vs Louisville in August for racing temps. All in all, it seems WTC races are all competing with one another, which is great for us participants. I hope they keep all these events on the calendar. I am worried about Cabos given that someone said only 300 in the full IM. Does anyone know why Cabos was moved to fall.

The flip side is that you're forced indoors up to April/May training for a June race. Not necessarily a bad thing though, as you don't really need too many long rides until the last 2 months anyway.

One advantage of IMMT, for the faster folks, is your season gets compressed a little. You can KQ and knock out 2 IM's a span of 8 weeks, and be done for a while. For those with families, it seems like Fall is really really busy with new school year, events, holidays, etc. I'm compensating myself by doing a 2 on, 1 off 3 week block instead of 4 weeks. It give some more downtime and flexibility, but gains are a bit slower, though overall much easier to manage.

By the way, PIerre Lavoie who has won his age group in Kona a few times, told me that he does a 1 on 1 off routine. Well, it's not really one on one off. During the on week, he takes Wed morning off work and rides long and rides long again on Sunday. The "on week" is mainly biking with a bit of swim and run (low volume in each). The off week is very little biking, but higher volume run and big volume swim. Overall the "down week" takes not that much time from day to day life. The "on week" benefits from the half day off work for the Wed AM long ride. You can quickly see how this routine becomes reasonably manageable for an IM build, to the point that he can win his age group in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My speculation on lack of interest

Shorter races provide more Instagram content.
(I'm guilty too)

- Look everyone, I just did this race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss something something?

Yes - everyone is signing up for the Barrelman! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think (Challenge) Roth is the only Full to sell-out instantly in Europe nowadays; not even IM Austria does now. Take from that what we will.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved to mid-November.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Moved to mid-November.

Interesting - almost head to head against IM Cozumel and IM Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope so. I'm playing roulette on IMTX entry in Jan/Feb

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I hope so. I'm playing roulette on IMTX entry in Jan/Feb

I am glad you have aged up! I can sign up now.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Fall IM is also tricky if you have young kids of school age; the summer holidays make peak training an unneeded distraction.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All:

With attendance dropping across the map/board by race company, distance, geography and nearly all age groups; aren't we missing the whole point: Is there a bigger problem for our sport?

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fad years are over?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Geographically off topic - it looks like IM Weymouth was a one-n-done race this year. It's been removed from the map of races on Ironman.com and no longer shows up on the ironman schedule. All along, I thought it would be IM Wales that would go since they were so close together physically and chronologically, not to mention that Wales is the hardest race under the IM banner. Perhaps a small shake-out will occur this year.

Yup, the full in Weymouth is done. All down to local support for the races - Tenby loves IMW (for the most part) and Weymouth was a clusterfuck so the locals said no way,
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [jenangeles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenangeles wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yup, the full in Weymouth is done. All down to local support for the races - Tenby loves IMW (for the most part) and Weymouth was a clusterfuck so the locals said no way,

This speaks volumes (in a good way) about Brits. If the same two races were in the US, it would be Wales that would have died due to lack of participation from Americans who generally shy away from difficult courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Zero North America IM's for 2017 Sold Out? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
70.3 is the new Ironman.

Lake Placid 70.3 sold out immediately as well.

Could very well be 40F at the start. Also seems like a move to undermine a successful and well run local HIM in Lake George that happens a week earlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This speaks volumes (in a good way) about Brits. If the same two races were in the US, it would be Wales that would have died due to lack of participation from Americans who generally shy away from difficult courses.

All the Americans who want difficult courses come over to Wales...:-) There have been quite a few that have done it the last two years anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mkng1 wrote:
I wish wtc would move another race to spring time. I didn't want to do IMTX but the winter and spring are the only realistic times I can train for an IM. Why all the fall races? Would solve a lot of heat issues for various races. Places in the west typically still have good weather given our dryness.

I agree with you. Even IMCdA move to Aug from June was bad. Here are Tremblant we have the 70.3 in June and the 140.6 in August. You could flip them and the 70.3 will still sell out. I think the concern here is that local athletes won't do the IM because there is not enough time to train, but with so few 140.6 races around North America in June, I think a lot of Americans would come up for a June race. The June date has the advantage of freeing up summers for families and not having a loved one on an IM build all of July and Aug.

i did tremblant in the monsoon this august and loved it. i'm not sure there'd be a ton of us coming up from the states in June. hard to get a good tune up 70.3 in April, none really around. plus i think we'd be a little shy about the cold. i am in CT and quassy gets cold water at times, and its early June. i think the primary reason you dont see many IM races in July/August in the northeast is that the communities dont want them. a lot of areas that could host a race are used for vacations and when families go away, they dont want to deal with 2500 athletes and their families crowding things up, also jacking up prices. also, the roads will be jammed with people coming and going to their weekly or weekend rentals, and they will not want to deal with road closures. IMMT is different becuase it can easily hold that many people and the area is far enough away from the residential communities where it wont matter. Quassy, for example, if IM were to buy it and turn it into a full, would cause a lot of issues if they moved to the summer months.

i also think we have to factor in the economy. unless you have unlimited disposable income, its really pricey to get to the race. i chose Tremblant because its a drivable distance. IMLP didnt work out timing wise and IMMD, i'm not subjecting myself to the weather issues they've had. plus there's nothing to do there for the family. it would be another $2000 to fly my family to a race, plus my bike. in addition to lodging, race fees, its suddenly a $4000 vacation. not that easy to come up with that on a regular basis.

i wonder if they moved a race to Rhode Island or Cape Cod MA late summer after the holiday period. less inclined to be hit by storms than down south and vacation areas would love to have another week of revenue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next