Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moved to Birmingham
Quote | Reply
I moved to Birmingham, Alabama last week and I am curious if anyone has suggestions of good places to swim, bike and run. I am currently staying at Summit Place, working near Mountain Brook and will eventually be moving near where Hugh Daniel Drive hits 280. In particular it would be great if I could find a place to bike for 10-20 miles near Summit Place or Mountain Brook so that I can fit in a ride before or after work.

I have done some research including reading old threads and suggestions include: swimming at the YMCA's, biking along 41 and 43, biking in Oak Mountain State Park, and biking from Liberty Park Elementary down Sicard Hollow Rd to Rex Lake Rd. I have also found the running path near Brookwood Village. I was also able to find a fun race last weekend in the Tri the Gulf on Dauphin Island.
Quote Reply
Re: Moved to Birmingham [spcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to town Sean! Birmingham has a very active running, cycling, and tri community.

Note: the BSL masters program was previously outstanding and was regarded as the fastest pool in town but it's been up/down, discontinued, and rebirthed in the last few years so verdict is still out on current health of the program. I now swim at Lifetime Fitness not far from where you are staying currently. If you'll drop into the FB tri group and inquire you'll quickly find out where most of the Vulcan Tri members swim these days.
  • Assuming you are on Strava, here's a buddy who's at the pointy end of the tri crowd here in town and you can see his typical ride routes which are very common: https://www.strava.com/athletes/127750?oq=chad
  • You can also search in Strava for Tuesday Night Worlds and see one of the most common routes
  • Trak Shak is at the center of the running community and has standing Wednesday evening runs
  • Tri events group based out of Bham that puts on tris around the Southeast region with quite a few races to choose from: http://www.team-magic.com/

Chris
Last edited by: trifreemc: Oct 21, 16 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live about a mile from you and ride from my house. I'd take you you on some routes by have a hernia that needs fixing so not riding at the moment. As mentioned above, you can search strava and also I will send PM with phone number if you'd like to call for more info.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with everything the previous poster recommended. In addition, the Mountain Brook YMCA has a M-W-F masters group at 5:30 am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM me. I can give you the email address of a few Bham area athletes that I know/have coached in the past who can help fill in the gaps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're getting a lot of good advice above. I am from B'ham and miss it. I would also suggest hopping on Strava and you should be able to find some good routes and rides.

If you want to stretch things out a bit and do some climbing don't be a stranger to Mt. Cheaha. It is a fun and challenging ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Moved to Birmingham [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StuckJB wrote:
You're getting a lot of good advice above. I am from B'ham and miss it. I would also suggest hopping on Strava and you should be able to find some good routes and rides.

If you want to stretch things out a bit and do some climbing don't be a stranger to Mt. Cheaha. It is a fun and challenging ride.

Yeah, surprising to most people, you can get A LOT of climbing around here!
Quote Reply
Re: Moved to Birmingham [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the posts. It is good to see an active triathlon community in the area. I have joined the Facebook groups and checked out the various links. I really do need to join Strava so that I see rides and runs from others. This morning I did see someone heading to the locker room at the Shades Creek YMCA wearing one of those pullover sweatshirts that they have given out at USAT Nationals but I decided against stalking him.
Quote Reply