Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ?
Quote | Reply
1. Hilary Clinton ? her plan B

2. harry reid ?

3. lorretta lynch ?

4. barack obama ?

5. ?
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you drunk?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, they could nominate someone with a solid legal background and a history of decisions that uphold the Constitution..

I know I'm being naive but...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am on crack, but I think Hillary will nominate a moderate judge.

This will likely be one of her first actions in office and she will recognize that she is going to need some congressional support in order to govern effectively (somewhat) for the next four years. She won't go full Alito part deux, but will likely lean at least towards a Kennedy-esque judge.

If she goes full Ginsburg it will damage her agenda too heavily.

She is nothing if not politically expedient.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Or, they could nominate someone with a solid legal background and a history of decisions that uphold the Constitution..

Someone like, I dunno, the dude that has already been nominated?
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

This will likely be one of her first actions in office and she will recognize that she is going to need some congressional support in order to govern effectively (somewhat) for the next four years. She won't go full Alito part deux, but will likely lean at least towards a Kennedy-esque judge.

I agree. You are on crack! ;)

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
1. Hilary Clinton ? her plan B

2. harry reid ?

3. lorretta lynch ?

4. barack obama ?

5. ?

Assuming that Clinton wins and the democrats take the senate on Nov. 8th.

Also assume that the republican senate says that, hey, you know what, that Merrick Garland guy is okay, we should vote on him.

Part of me thinks that this is what Obama and Clinton should do just to show that bullshit political stunts have consequences.

1. Obama should say, "you know, you're right, this is something that should be decided by the next president" and withdraw his nomination of Garland.

2. Clinton's first action after getting sworn in should be to nominate Obama to the Supreme court.

3. Mitch McConnell and Jeff Session's heads explode. Just like in the movie Scanners.

Now, I don't seriously think that this is a good idea. But yeah, part of me says that there should be a consequence.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Someone like, I dunno, the dude that has already been nominated?

Yes, the perfectly qualified, moderate, judge Garland. The American people already had there say when we elected President Obama. The Senate should do their job and give the man a fair, objective, hearing based on his qualifications and suitability for the court.
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

I think you're right except that I wonder if she will get any congressional cooperation at all, no matter what she does.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll excuse the spelling error. #3 Loretta Lynn is not a bad choice except she's kind of old (84).
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I agree. You are on crack! ;)

C'mon, she is certainly that. I've been wondering about SCOTUS picks. Assuming she wins (big if), does the Senate confirm Garland during the lame duck session? Does Obama withdraw the nomination? The Democratic nominee for SCOTUS will determine the tipping point on issues (a GOP nominee would keep Kennedy as the tipping point). Tactically, Hillary could choose to fight for a more liberal judge, and then afterwards renominate Garland to replace a retiring Ginsberg. She would have an advantage in the first battle, given that the 8 person court needs to be filled ASAP. Then Garland would be a consensus pick. I suspect that Obama will defer to Clinton, if Clinton is fine with Garland, it may go forward this year. The selection may also hinge on control of the Senate....
Last edited by: oldandslow: Oct 21, 16 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is it with all the over the top fantasy political scenarios lately? The real debacle isn't dramatic enough anymore?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My prediction: Senate scrambles to confirm Garland after the election, out of fear that the nomination is withdrawn and Clinton nominates someone else that is more liberal. But if Garland's nomination withdrawn, Clinton nominates someone like Sri Srinivasen, who was probably a better candidate that Garland.

Wasn't JSA's prediction months ago that Garland was someone to sacrifice to partisan politics, as Srinivasen is a better candidate, one that you wouldn't want lost to partisan politics?
Quote Reply
Re: supreme court judge vacancy should be filled with who ? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
My prediction: Senate scrambles to confirm Garland after the election, out of fear that the nomination is withdrawn and Clinton nominates someone else that is more liberal. But if Garland's nomination withdrawn, Clinton nominates someone like Sri Srinivasen, who was probably a better candidate that Garland.

Wasn't JSA's prediction months ago that Garland was someone to sacrifice to partisan politics, as Srinivasen is a better candidate, one that you wouldn't want lost to partisan politics?

Pffft... JSA don't know shit about the law. He is busy hanging out at Panera and getting a Trump tattoos on his ass.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
game changer ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted Cruz, strictly for the meltdown that would occur. Can you imagine the shit show?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanbird wrote:
game changer ?

Just read this, pure gold!

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen Kevin in the past 6 days? Should we send someone to check on him?
Quote Reply