Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh - that is the brand that just came out - to a lot of excitement on here to...

And I am so happy someone brought up Finman - "its all coming back, its all coming back to me now"...like celine always says.

Oh how I missed lurking here....
Quote Reply
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [tjbingha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are where I was 2 years ago ... the major changes for me were:

- Kickr + Trainer road
- di2
- Cheap decent aero wheels (ie Flo etc.)
- Sleeved aero suits
- short tail helmets
- Zipp Vuka stealth to dial in and play with the position
- aero track testing if you can afford it

- Edit: cheap-ish power meters ...
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Oct 20, 16 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schonner wrote:

Break out your Visa card and bend over. I was on the bench for 5 or so years and dipped back in. First order was upgrading my vessel, a 2006 mechanical, old-school first gen carbon P3. She got a lot of whistles tho at the IM check-in line. "Damn, that's an oldie".

Between bike, power-meter, computer, bike shoes, wheels, you're in big-time. Race fees have gone also, a lot. But I will say that it's good to be back. ;)

I am still rocking a 2006 P3 ... still love the look after 10 years - don't see a compelling reason to switch to a younger model. [pink] Wish I could say the same about my wife [/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still an awesome bike. Only reason I bought was to help stoak the motivational fire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're in a pretty similar situation and I've been replacing my dated equipment and building a race schedule. Some things that seem quite a bit different to me . . .

- I signed up for Ironman Lake Placid three months after registration opened. It used to sell out in minutes.
- I bought a Dimond beam bike with Enve wheels. Neither of these brands existed when I was racing, or at least I didn't know about them.
- That bike came with 25c tires, which apparently are a thing people actually race on now
- There's about 1500 different powermeter options, some of which I probably still don't know about. One of the best ones seems to be made by Pioneer, the massive electronics company. I've settled on PowerTap P1, which is amazingly handy compared to the PowerTap hubs and SRM I used to rock.
- Got some bike shoes with laces (Giro Empire) cause apparently straps and buckles aren't aero or cool anymore
- All the trainers now seem 'smart'/internet connected. Everyone seems into this, but I can't figure out why its better to be hooked into some internet application than watch season 3 of the Wire, so I haven't explored these things yet.

I'm still taking in my wetsuit and aero helmet options. I've surmised that those bada$$ giant pointy helmets are out now, replaced with short tailed versions.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowie has retired from Kona and Rinny might have won there for the last time, unless she can go back to the drawing board and turn things around in regards to taking on Angry Bird.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh - and Lance. I don't think anyone has mentioned Lance.

When you dropped off the scene, there may well have been a lot of excitement about his impending Kona debut ...

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [teaandstuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teaandstuff wrote:
Oh - and Lance. I don't think anyone has mentioned Lance.

When you dropped off the scene, there may well have been a lot of excitement about his impending Kona debut ...

Dude - he said he stopped doing triathlons, he didn't drop off the face of the earth!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same boat.....my son is now in college so football season and springs and summers on the lacrosse field are over. Just knocked the dust off of my old Kestrel.....dropping on SRAM eTap. New seat .....new wheels and tires. Swim training for the first time in about 6 years. Probably should look into a new frame........need to see if my old Cyclops trainer still works....going to look into Zwift. I need to sign up for a race to stay on task.........my wife is going to be mad..... ;-)

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about heartrate training? Does anyone do that anymore or is that dead also?
Quote Reply
Re: What did I miss the past five years?!? [Black Slacks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black Slacks wrote:
In the same boat.....my son is now in college so football season and springs and summers on the lacrosse field are over. Just knocked the dust off of my old Kestrel.....dropping on SRAM eTap. New seat .....new wheels and tires. Swim training for the first time in about 6 years. Probably should look into a new frame........need to see if my old Cyclops trainer still works....going to look into Zwift. I need to sign up for a race to stay on task.........my wife is going to be mad..... ;-)

There's another change. Kestrel was one of the more visible brands about 10 years ago and now don't make the top 10 on the Kona bike count. I'm not even sure they make high end tri bikes any longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gorilla suits

T3

Coaches dropping athletes mid season. Also see:
Trucker hats

Drafting. Also see:
Helmet mirrors

Bitching about drafting

Serial course cutting
Quote Reply