Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
noofus wrote:
thetriranger wrote:
I would really love to know how many people actually do this after completing a 26.2 miles run/walk, particularly first timers. I don't care how shortened the bike portion is, the last thing I would want to do after crossing that finish line is get back on a bike. I've been lucky with weather for my 6 Ironmans (exception is the rain in this year's Mont Tremblant) and I've not had to deal with a shortened race. But if it should happen in the future, whatever the official distance is it is.

They were talking about doing this for the missing 18 miles at IMTX also. And again for IMMD. Stupid. I have never once ran 26.2 miles (Marathon or Ironman) and thought to myself that I was capable of doing anything other than finding a place to lay down and die. The thought of getting on a trainer is laughable. The thought that someone might actually even go try to ride a bike is patently absurd just from a safety standpoint. I can't imagine someone that beat up from a 26.2 mile run (plus whatever else) is going to be capable of safely riding a bike more than say the distance from transition to their car.

Like I said to other people, most will probably bail, but some won't.

What I find stupid/laughable is how salty some people get at people thinking about it. There are about 40 trainers dropped off already. We'll see who makes it over. Zero or forty, not sure why it bugs you so much. Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Let people do what makes 'em happy. It's not affecting anyone (but your attitude I guess?) negatively. I might join in waiting for family to finish. I usually spin after a big race effort anyway.. just not for 56 miles. We'll see.

You misunderstand. I couldn't care less what people do after the race. I certainly am not going to get worked up about it. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
noofus wrote:
thetriranger wrote:
I would really love to know how many people actually do this after completing a 26.2 miles run/walk, particularly first timers. I don't care how shortened the bike portion is, the last thing I would want to do after crossing that finish line is get back on a bike. I've been lucky with weather for my 6 Ironmans (exception is the rain in this year's Mont Tremblant) and I've not had to deal with a shortened race. But if it should happen in the future, whatever the official distance is it is.

They were talking about doing this for the missing 18 miles at IMTX also. And again for IMMD. Stupid. I have never once ran 26.2 miles (Marathon or Ironman) and thought to myself that I was capable of doing anything other than finding a place to lay down and die. The thought of getting on a trainer is laughable. The thought that someone might actually even go try to ride a bike is patently absurd just from a safety standpoint. I can't imagine someone that beat up from a 26.2 mile run (plus whatever else) is going to be capable of safely riding a bike more than say the distance from transition to their car.

What I find stupid/laughable is how salty some people get at people thinking about it. There are about 40 trainers dropped off already. We'll see who makes it over. Zero or forty, not sure why it bugs you so much. Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Let people do what makes 'em happy. It's not affecting anyone (but your attitude I guess?) negatively. I might join in waiting for family to finish. I usually spin after a big race effort anyway.. just not for 56 miles. We'll see.

You misunderstand. I couldn't care less what people do after the race. I certainly am not going to get worked up about it. :)

Oh my bad. Honestly I think I'M worked up because I just got done reading the FB comments on the official page. Some of those people... I gotta stay away from there so I can get a good night's sleep.

Gladly, everyone in person down here seems to be in good spirits. That reinforces my hope that it's just a loud, small group trying to stir up trouble.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:

Gladly, everyone in person down here seems to be in good spirits. That reinforces my hope that it's just a loud, small group trying to stir up trouble.

That's good to hear. At IMMD this year everyone at the expo/checkin was in very good spirits despite knowing that things were far from ideal.

Have you done B2B in the past? If so how is the vibe compared to previous years? I did the full there last year and loved how chill everything felt compared the the "hype" at most IM events.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

That's good to hear. At IMMD this year everyone at the expo/checkin was in very good spirits despite knowing that things were far from ideal.

Have you done B2B in the past? If so how is the vibe compared to previous years? I did the full there last year and loved how chill everything felt compared the the "hype" at most IM events.

I haven't, just IMMD a couple times for me, but I talked to an 3x finisher about just that. He said it felt more corporate and it was somber for a couple days after the announcement, but once it settled in people got way more relaxed.

Just with my experience, it feels more chill than IMMD 2015 did for sure. I definitely like the vibe of the race.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Oct 21, 16 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Wilmington right now. I heard that it's not BASE salt that's sponsoring the trainer bike ride. It's actually IronCowboy.

Quote | Reply
Jelana and I ran across a couple of people at the expo who had not done B2B before but said they wouldn't do another by this race producer. They felt this experience seemed to be all about the money. I don't really get that. However, I couldn't slight their feeling that another race group near and dear to our hearts puts on great races. Everyone else we've come across seemed to be in great spirits.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
I'm in Wilmington right now. I heard that it's not BASE salt that's sponsoring the trainer bike ride. It's actually IronCowboy.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

I also hear there will be ellipticals brought in for those foregoing the marathon.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone riding their trainers yet?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
noofus wrote:
thetriranger wrote:

Edit- To be clear, the people doing this out on the road are idiots, and I hope no one joins those two. Don't bother the locals more than we already so for the race.

Apparently only two idiots rode an extra 56 on the road.

How many people did the trainer thing?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
noofus wrote:
thetriranger wrote:

Edit- To be clear, the people doing this out on the road are idiots, and I hope no one joins those two. Don't bother the locals more than we already so for the race.

Apparently only two idiots rode an extra 56 on the road.

How many people did the trainer thing?

Based on the videos Matt Miller posted, quite a lot in my opinion. I don't know why the GoFundMe person just didn't bother to do this. Although the page was taken down, I believe he is the 34 year old that finishers here from Hilton Head: http://sommersports.com/...lts/GFTXXVI-U-OA.htm

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Based on the videos Matt Miller posted, quite a lot in my opinion. I don't know why the GoFundMe person just didn't bother to do this. Although the page was taken down, I believe he is the 34 year old that finishers here from Hilton Head: http://sommersports.com/...lts/GFTXXVI-U-OA.htm

144 finishers at GFT. How depressing. Wonder if Fred will keep at it or finally succumb and throw in the towel.
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [albertok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
            I am sure Karma will come around on race day to those athletes who commented on FaceBook and who think their race was more important that those devastated by Matthew. Karma can be a bitch, and comes in the form of flat tires, food poisoning, horrible blisters that get worse with each of the 26 miles, Dq's and DNF's. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
------------------------
Love it!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!! In fact an hour ago I read the following....... One guy posted this on his personal FB....Pulling the plug race morning can't keep and fluids down, not good for an Ironman racing......

These were this knuckle heads exact comments on IM NC FB on Tuesday of race week..... "Ironman sucks! Simple as that. They are a monopoly and frigin whore their product out bc they can".

That made me laugh.
He DNS! Karma's a Bitch!!!

CJ
Slow 2x IM
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [HeyCJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeyCJ wrote:
One guy posted this on his personal FB....Pulling the plug race morning can't keep and fluids down, not good for an Ironman racing......

Its a good thing he didn't have a blister race morning, or he might have had to go to the ER.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Oct 24, 16 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Crowd funding to recoup IMNC cost!?!?!? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration is open for next year for GFT. I was signed up this year but life got in the way. There were only around 50 in the 2/3 distance and 261 in the 1/3 distance. Sad about the GFT but I think my long course days are done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next