Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

fall '16 bike light recommendations
Quote | Reply
probably a recent thread on this that I can't find for whatever reason, but looking for fresh recommendations for blinker style bike lights.

I have a big 1200 lumen light for 'real' night riding already, but looking to replace my knog 4 blinkers that I was using mostly for dusk / general visibility. They seemed OK enough in terms of visibility, but the strap mechanism just broke on both of them.

Would like another set of decent quality USB rechargeable for round bars / seatposts. Looked at some of the newer Knogs but the reviews seem rather meh.
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Bontrager ones. I think they have a few options for USB rechargeable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Axiom Pulse 60 - recommended on a recent thread. I'm happy with it, bright, keeps a charge, easy mount and cheap. On sale for $30 here:

http://www.performancebike.com/...052_10551_1132451_-1___

ETA - I'm wearing it running now too as the clip secures it easily to a very light reflective vest and it doesn't bounce. Easy to switch back and forth
Last edited by: stillrollin: Oct 19, 16 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Cygolite Hotshot is a great option and what I am currently using. It is bright enough to induce a seizure and has multiple flash patterns and speeds. Good price and good battery life as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIWBCS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the topic of Cygolite, I think that the Dart 350 would really fit the bill for a small front light.
http://www.cygolite.com/...ct/dart-pro-350-usb/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Cygolite Hotshot, though I like this Serfas better: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/...hunderbolttaillight/. I own both, and it is a bit more flexible in where you can mount it compared to the Hotshot, though it has less flashing pattern options. The Cygolite you can really go crazy with all of the options, but I found I didn't really see the need. The Serfas is basically on low, on high, and blink high, which is really all you need. I have had many comments on its brightness and visibility, even in full sun.

(The site linked above site is a great resource for researching lights, btw).
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Light & Motion 650. Really bright, has 3-4 settings. I believe they also have lower lumen versions.
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. Cygolite hotshot seems like a great deal, I think I might get a little more spendy though after doing some more research. I've got some amazon gift credit to burn and leaning towards Light and Motion Urban 800 / Vis 180 combo. I like that the front light can use my combo garmin / gopro mount on my road bike and I can swap the rear easily with an extra mount to some of my other bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Light and Motion Urban also attaches to aeobars super easy and I use one on all my road TT riding.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions for a super bright main light for full on night time riding/commuting? Something that lasts for about 60-90 minutes?

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Any suggestions for a super bright main light for full on night time riding/commuting? Something that lasts for about 60-90 minutes?

I really like my Cateye Volt 700. (In fact I have 2). They now have the 800 which is the same size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

I highly recommend the Cygolite Expilion 800 (I think it's the 850 now).
Last 90 minutes on high, even longer on the medium setting, also has a great daytime blink mode.
And has interchangeable batteries, so if you stick a spare in your pocket you will never run out of light.
I use it both on my MTB and road bike and I think it's great.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Bontrager rear red light....CRAZY bright! They make a nice front light too, and I have a Nightrider that I'm quite happy with. Another option I was looking at is the Garmin Varia, as it is the radar unit, but I'm not sure if that's bright, or just a good notification of cars coming from behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. Cygolite hotshot seems like a great deal, I think I might get a little more spendy though after doing some more research. I've got some amazon gift credit to burn and leaning towards Light and Motion Urban 800 / Vis 180 combo. I like that the front light can use my combo garmin / gopro mount on my road bike and I can swap the rear easily with an extra mount to some of my other bikes.

I have the Cygolite hotshot. It's legit - very bright, super visible in dark/dusk, and lasts long.

That said, I gave my old 6-year old Planet bike blinky (these are very well regarded/reviewed) to a friend who started riding, and even though it's less powerful than the Cygolite, it was still very bright and noticeable - I even had to ask him if that was the same blinky I gave him, since I was so impressed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

I have the Light and Motion Urban 800 / Vis 180 combo. Very well engineered, works well, battery life isn't fantastic but adequate. The flash option for the Urban is a pulse, which I believe is consistent with European regulations, on the upside it's less blinding for those you may encounter, on the downside also less visible, especially during the day.
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cateye Volt 800 / Bontrager Flare RT combo here.

Really digging the ANT+ combo with my edge 820.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: fall '16 bike light recommendations [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new versions of the Light and Motion Urban have no "flash" mode, which in my view disqualifies them. I have two of them, and the one without flash mode gets almost zero use. They're still good as a headlight for pure night riding, but in low light, dusk, or daytime or city or commute use I think it's important to have a flash mode. (Actually at night I typically use two lights, one on steady and one in flash mode -- the one in flash mode serves to make sure I'm seen and also serves as a backup in case of a battery failure, so I can still get home, so even at night I think it's important to have one flashing light.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

The cateye volt 1600 lumens is really nice. It is self contained and a true 1600 lumens. You can get a full 2 hours on 1600 lumens, and it also offers a fantastic daylight flash option that is great for sunrise, daytime, and dusk. I picked one up recently on sale on amazon for $159.

https://www.amazon.com/...rds=Cateye+volt+1600
Last edited by: mcycle: Oct 19, 16 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit more pricey, but the Fly6 and Fly12 are good safer options if you want to couple with video evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These guys do an annual light review: http://reviews.mtbr.com/category/lights

I was buying new lights every fall until I sprung for an Exposure Diablo. Not cheap, but a great mix of pure power, good battery life, and just a quality build/mount.

The Lyzene lights are great for commuting. Good battery life, solid casings that can take a beating and keep on chugging.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At night, ditch blinkers and go with solid mode. What you want is for people to be able to make out exactly what you are. That's why lots of little lights are good but it's easier for the drivers to understand what they are seeing if the lights are solid. Blinking lights alert drivers but confuse them. They can't make out the geometry of what they're seeing.

And in that regard, these are fantastic:

https://www.amazon.com/NATHAN-5072NB-P-Nathan-Light-Spur/dp/B0099LRY2S

The driver comes behind you and sees these bright lights on your shoes going up and down and instantly their brain fills in the gaps and understands it's a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
++ Bontrager Flare R Rechargeable I rode 6 hours last weekend it never failed, 2 Miles visibility best on the market! It's more about the concentration of the light beam then the strength of the light.
Quote Reply