Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you donate blood during training?
Quote | Reply
The flu shot thread made me think about something I used to do religiously before I got into endurance sports, but I have failed to maintain since my training has spiked. I have type O negative blood, so the red cross is on me like vampires to donate as often as I can. I used to donate every time they came to my office, which meant that I gave blood as frequently as you are allowed to do. And I always took the advice of taking it easy after donations. I had gotten into the habit of donating plasma (double donation) because the local need for that was greater & I didn't have to donate as often.

However, since I have been training, and there always seems to be a race coming up, I haven't given nearly as frequently for fear of the negative impact of missing a workout or that donating may have if I do it too close to a race. I know it's a silly & selfish excuse given the good that donating can do, but it's where my head goes when the blood drive is here.

So what do you do? Who donates blood regularly? Do you just take a day or two off when donating? Do you avoid donating too close to a race, but still donate in the middle of a big training block? Do you wait for a recovery week to donate?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you donate blood during training? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still donate during training, stopping about a month out from my A race. I don't usually feel the need to take a day off after donating, usually have a morning work-out, donate in the afternoon and back at it the next day. As they advise, drink lots of fluids before and after donating.

I'm not training for the olympics, so even if donating knocks me back a bit, it doesn't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things, but it could make a big difference in someone else's life.

cheers - mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donate regularly, but notice a drop in endurance after donations, so try to work around racing schedules. I usually take it easy for a couple days... but I'm not a serious competitor anyway.

I have been told that my iron and ferritin levels are low, so I'm probably going to cut back my donation schedule a bit. I've been pushing to hit donation #50 by the end of the year, but after that I'll probably go a little less frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a faithful donor. I assumed that when they tested my iron on the day of the donation that if my level was high enough that meant I was good to go. I struggled with fatigue and just assumed it was from excessive training. I talked to my dietician who helped me with my nutrition plan for races. She suggested I get my ferritin level checked (It is a component within your iron). It was a 5. That is super low which was causing me to feel so fatigued. I started taking Proferrin ES which helped get my levels back to normal. I didn't donate for a year. I just started up again. Donated a total of 3 gallons as of the last donation. I think as long as you monitor your body you should be fine.

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donated blood yesterday. I trained in the morning, donated around 11:30, and didn't work out for the rest of the day. This morning I did my usual workout. I think you'll be sucking wind if you try to do fast intervals the day or two after donating, but you can definitely do easy stuff.

I have never had issues with anemia, and I'm good at sucking down fluids after, which may be part of why I recover so quickly. And I'm young!

Double red cell also probably requires more recovery, as they're taking more of those oxygen-transporting things from you ;-)

Surely you can find a 14 day gap where you're not racing to donate.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 19, 16 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donate blood during training, then get it back right before my A race

Quote Reply
Re: Do you donate blood during training? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:

Haha I knew this was coming

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if there was a Slowtwitch league there would be major injury and death occuring regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to donate quite frequently (5 times a year was my record). But since I started doing triathlon, I only donate twice or three times during my off season (winter).

After reading this thread, I feel I'm such a selfish person now. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used this article to help guide me while training for a big event--basically 3-4 weeks for full RBC recovery, so I'll donate 2+ months out from an A event. That said, I also use it as a challenge--if I'm able to hit certain times/speeds while "drained," then all the better for when I'm full.

Certainly not scientific, but I also work under the assumption that donating kickstarts new RBC generation, with younger RBCs better able to carry O2. Kind of like getting your oil changed. Probably not true enough, but it's a harmless assumption.

http://blog.nasm.org/...thletes-should-know/
Quote Reply
Re: Do you donate blood during training? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I think you'll be sucking wind if you try to do fast intervals the day or two after donating, but you can definitely do easy stuff.

That's how trail rolls. I donated blood the morning of a TTT. I remember starting the TTT. Then I remember waking up lying in some grass about two miles from the start, with my bike next to me. I hadn't crashed. It looks like I decided to pull over for a nap. Glad I was able to pull over and dismount before passing out. My TTT partners were not thrilled.

#reversedoping
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
always did when i lived in UK. could do an easy run the same day without any problems and just accepted that hard sessions and races would suck for a month or two until the red cells were replenished. Never checked if there have been any studies but i always felt that 2 months after donating i was better than before - either through overcompensation or the benefit of training with oxygen starved muscles.

not allowed to donate in US because i lived in UK 20 years ago. must be about time to lift that ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you donate blood during training? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:

Haha I was thinking the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you donate blood during training? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, I used to do it a lot but then started avoiding it on (frankly laughable) basis that I need the blood for training and performance. I'm going to start again. Thanks to the OP for the opportunity for circumspection and the bigger picture.
Quote Reply