Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got mine today. Feeling a bit weird tonight. This usually happens to me...I'm assuming my body is working to fight off the foreign substance in my body. Just a slight headache and a bit lethargic. Nothing big...I could go run or bike right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
Just got mine today. Feeling a bit weird tonight. This usually happens to me...I'm assuming my body is working to fight off the foreign substance in my body. Just a slight headache and a bit lethargic. Nothing big...I could go run or bike right now.

I had a bit of a headache as well. I had a very off swim today, so off, that although I was supposed to go to Miami tomorrow, I may just skip the race now. However it pails in comparison to what I experience when I had the flu.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
maddog95835 wrote:

I had a bit of a headache as well. I had a very off swim today, so off, that although I was supposed to go to Miami tomorrow, I may just skip the race now. However it pails in comparison to what I experience when I had the flu.

Totally agree. Last time I had the flu I couldn't move. Eyes were burning and couldn't keep them open, head throbbing and temp was hitting 102-103 degrees most of the day for 2 full days. The high temp left me so weak it took me at least 3 weeks to feel somewhat normal again. Worst thing ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
My health insurance covers the cost, so I've gotten one most years. However, I'm a total pussy when it comes to needles. I passed out at the vets several years holding my pussy (I'm referencing my cat of course) when blood was being drawn.!
All of this talk about grabbing a pussy starting off this post made me think that Donald Trump signed up for Slowtwitch, haha.

I am a person that generally does not get sick and I have never had a flu shot but I am now 61 and I may start. I got a shingles shot about a month ago.

I see the term "man flu" discussed in this thread. What are you referring to?
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Oct 22, 16 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Work pays for it and I have never had any problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCPattie,

Just a shout out to tell you that I agree with you.

Virology is not as straight forward as the general public is made to believe/buy.

There are population groups out there who should get the shot as their life may be endangered by the 60% chance of contracting an adenoviral influenza infection (if other considerations are also carefully weighted).

For an healthy adult (or healthy athlete) with some acquired immunity against adenoviruses, Influenza doesn't rank very high on the list of dangerous or life-threatening viral infections....Of course there are exceptions (super-infections or undiagnosed immuno-deficiencies come to mind).

But there are downsides to "random" vaccination that is based on "chance", and they should be mentioned.

DC Pattie wrote:
Considering that most pharmacies and grocery stores now offer the vaccine, I'm thinking it might make sense to hold off on the vaccine until we start getting data on the vaccine-to-virus match profile. Since this summer's revelations that pervious dengue infections may increase Zika pathogenesis via antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) - it got me thinking of another virus with many subtypes...Influenza. There isn't a whole lot of information about the role of antibody-dependent enhancement in influenza pathogenesis; however, from what I've read, poor "match" years may induce ADE. I've copy-and-pasted a relevant section below from a 2014 paper in Viruses. Since its an open access article you can view it at your convenience.

From: Jang YH, Seong BL. Options and obstacles for designing a universal influenza vaccine. Viruses (2014) 6:3159–80. doi:10.3390/v6083159

"Although several potential mechanisms underlying the vaccine-induced enhancement of viral infection were suggested, the antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) is believed to play a major role through prolonged contact of the virus/antibody complex with the antibody Fc receptor (FcR) on the cell membrane, thereby increasing the chance of viral entry into the cells. Thus, balancing between the induction of protective immunity and the induction of aberrant viral pathogenesis should be of serious consideration in evaluating vaccine safety.

Unfortunately, vaccine associated enhanced respiratory disease (VAERD) has also been reported in some cases of mismatched influenza vaccine and challenge viruses, especially in swine. Inactivated vaccines of classical swine H1 virus provided protection in pigs against homologous challenges, but failed to protect the animals from challenge with homosubtypic, but heterologous, H1 viruses and enhanced the severity of pneumonia compared to the non-vaccinated control group. In the following studies, immunization with inactivated H1 vaccines did not protect immunized pigs against the heterologous 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus challenge, but resulted in enhanced illness of pneumonia and a significantly elevated proinflammatory cytokine profile in the lungs."

There are a few other articles that show similar results but I like the way the authors present findings here.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
Yes. Work pays for it and I have never had any problems.

Ditto. Never an issue. It doesn't hurt either.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a shot on Saturday at Costco and my arm already feels normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Just wanted to give an update; I got my flu shot 4 weeks back and had a pretty bad reaction that kept me in bed for a good day or two. Felt pretty groggy, up to a point were I fainted. At least I was able to plan my down time!

Over the past few weeks several relatives, friends and co-workers got the flu. Of course I'll never know if it was the flu shot that kept me from getting ill, but I like to think it did.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes never an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you get a flu shot? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a person that generally does not get sick and I have never had a flu shot but I am now 61 and I may start. I got a shingles shot about a month ago. //

Ha, this describes me exactly, only just a young 60 year old whippersnapper.. I have had a few friends get shingles over the years, but did not know how bad the odds were for us to get it eventually. Something like 1 in 3 get it? That is crazy, and it was no fun for anyone that I know that got it..

Did my flu shot at Costco a couple weeks ago and did not feel a thing. The needles they use now are so thin that if you were not looking, you might think they just didn't stick you..
Quote Reply

Prev Next