Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

International bike shipping?
Quote | Reply
I'm currently deployed to the Middle East and may have the opportunity to do the IM 70.3 in Bahrain in December. My bike is back in Maryland in the care of a trusted friend. This isn't a TriBike Transport race. My options are thus:

1) Have friend ship bike from Maryland to Bahrain. Does anyone have a suggestion to do this, other than bikeflights.com? The quote they gave me is well over $1000.

2) Rent/borrow a bike in Bahrain. As if this wasn't difficult enough at the onset, I'm 5'3" and ride an XS (47cm). Anyone have any suggestions on how to do that?

3) Buy a "cheap" tri bike out here just for the race. I don't even know where I would begin to look for one or how I would get it fit/adjusted so I could handle to stay on it for 56 miles.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may have!
Quote Reply
Re: International bike shipping? [LisabethMD09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a hard time believing that FedEx or UPS will charge that much for shipping.....

Let a bike shop box it up and have it picked up from there, if your friend doesn't want to visit or any other hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: International bike shipping? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standard sized bike box (9x30x45) stated at 30 lbs. (everything is Dim. weight for carriers now so they probably calculate a higher weight) from Baltimore to Air Base in Bahrain shows cheapest rate as $850 at FedEx with ship/pick up at FedEx office. Shipping prices have taken a huge jump recently. We get a massive discount and shipped to race hotel for years but we don't even consider it any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a list of the event's sponsors. One of them should be a bike shop. Contact to arrange for a rental?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rehashing this thread. I need to get my bike from the states to Zurich this summer. I didn't realize that BikeFlights is so expensive - over $1700. I'd guess that checking it with the airline would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

Update: did a quick search and found that United charges $200 each way for bikes in containers of 50 lbs. Not horrible at $400 round trip.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Last edited by: RudeDude: Feb 20, 17 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: International bike shipping? [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check it as baggage for $200. Done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention deployed. Would it be possible to USPS mail it to your APO/FPO?
I know for regular mail it is normal first class rates, not sure about packages - it's been a while since I sent a package to a FPO.
Quote Reply
Re: International bike shipping? [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eidelweiss flies direct from Tampa to Zurich 3 x per week...you won't find it on Expedia or like. I've flown with my bike twice, roundtrip, for $0 by checking it as my ONE allotted bag. I carried most of my tri-gear in a backpack and used some of the room in my wife's bag for a few other clothes (while staying under 50lbs or their Kg equivalent). My bike bag is a PikaPackworks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, hoping someone could help me with some info on shipping internationally.

I'll be travelling to 70.3 Cebu from the states in August. Normally I would just take my bike with me on my flight, however I'll be make a vacation detour to Taipei along the way.

Is there any shipping method anyone can recommend?? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply