Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev- I was very good at 400 and not very good at 100.
100 LCM - 56 something
400 LCM - 4:06

Might have gotten faster at swimming.
But I used my swimming to get into Dartmouth. (Not a great swim program).
Quit swimming my sophomore year so as to focus on weed and hot young women.
I don't regret the choice.
But do wonder.

I swam the 4:06 at age 17.
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 5k is soft if 98% effort, to be sub 5 min mile need to break 18min
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my running goals for this season is a sub-5 mile, but my training looks a little different. Do a lot of strides, but otherwise mostly do 400m intervals at 78-80 with 1 min recovery jog until I cant do anymore (usually 10-12). Also do 10x1k with 2 min active recovery and think those help a lot as well.
Did a 5:08 last week and think I could prob break 5 now if I was rested and had a pacer.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar age and running goals, I've been there. Progress is not always linear. A couple of suggestions: spend one or two weeks running easy every day (+ strides and light tempo/fartlek). Don't increase mileage, just distribute load over 6-7 runs. This is mini-base if you will - and then start ramping up again with 400 repeats, etc.). In general, I notice that you've been running 3 days a week, and previous to that it looked like mostly 5 days. In my experience, there's a big difference between running, say, four or seven days a week - frequency in running is key. Suggestion: increase running to 6-7 days a week (don't increase volume - keep long run and key workout the same, just increase number of easy runs).

A final thought, a good mile comes down to pacing and running economy (Dave Roche and others pointed that out above) - the feeling of learning to run fast and relaxed. Running fast is partly skill (assuming you have the fitness). Different things work for different people at different times (long intervals, short intervals, rolling recoveries, etc.) Keep experimenting to see what works for you, but always keep an eye on that goal: learning to run fast with less effort.

Please keep reporting back and good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Dev- I was very good at 400 and not very good at 100.
100 LCM - 56 something
400 LCM - 4:06

Might have gotten faster at swimming.
But I used my swimming to get into Dartmouth. (Not a great swim program).
Quit swimming my sophomore year so as to focus on weed and hot young women.
I don't regret the choice.
But do wonder.

I swam the 4:06 at age 17.

Your "youth" 100m swim is similar to my 400m run (55 min). I never ran the mile in high school, but in my military PT test as part of the test we ran the 1.5 miles with canvas military issue running shoes on a loop around the RMC campus which I did in 7:08. Slowman thinks I should have been running a mile in the 4:20's if I actually trained for it and ran it on a track with spikes, but never did. 7:08 is 4:45 per mile. I've never done a flat out 400m swim (maybe I should), but when I was swimming well (I swam 56 high in Penticon and 54 min in Roth....yeah right....that course had to be 250m short), but i doubt I would have ever broken 5:30...I just have no high end speed in the water (streamline catch is really bad).

But if you look at the 100m + 400m swim world records and 400m + mile run world records they seem to give an indication that when humans are equally proficient in both, the times are similar. I'd be interested in knowing Brownlee's 400m swim and mile times. Probably pretty close....the rest of us, we're born to so one or the other and "not particularly well".

I think at the end of the day, the physiology that makes one a hydrodynamic vessel works against you to be an effficient runner....runner needs tiny shoulders, long legs, short torso, long harms, springy-stiff ankles/lower leg. Swimmer, big hands, long arms long torso, short legs, big feet, floppy ankes huge shoulders

As for the weed and hot young women, I was having a discussion with my son who is a 3rd year biz student at U of Ottawa. Some hot girl was inviting him to go out "shopping" and help her pick out attire in the middle of exams. My son, the crazy guy declined in favor of studying.....I was like, "WTF???? No one ever invited me to do that....forget about school, you don't have your entire life to chase hot young women....you're going to need to keep studying all your life in this knowledge based economy"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is in third year computer engineering. He is really smart but sometimes does funny things. Last spring he was being interviewed for a job with Intel in Toronto and they asked him if he got the job if he would be okay with being sent to San Jose. He told them he would have to "think about it." He got the job and enjoyed his summer in Toronto.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a proposition for you. find a 5k with stacked field. hold pace with the leader till mile 1, suffer through the rest :) (probably easy down to marathon jog pace)
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i have a proposition for you. find a 5k with stacked field. hold pace with the leader till mile 1, suffer through the rest :) (probably easy down to marathon jog pace)

I have considered the following idiocy:
1) Use my marathon, or half marathon PR to gain entrance to the "elite" gate at a mid level marathon with a pro field.
(Ie. Rock n Roll San Diego).
The "elite" gate is usually often only 10 feet behind the pro gate.
2) Train for the 800 (not the marathon).
3) Place my son (with a camera) at the 800 m mark.
4) Race the first 800m of the race.

Result:
"Look here's a photo of me when I was winning the XXX marathon."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Strava, for some reason, lists a bbunch of really stupid segments near my house. (Ie. fast .46 miles on this side street).

I feel I should "own" all the segments near my house.

But Bernard Lagat also lives very near me.
And Bernard Lagat does NOT do LSD running.
He only runs 50 mpw but it is 100% sub 5:10 minute mile pace.

This creates a really stupid opportunity.
Where I can pit myself against Lagat....
Me racing 742 m on some random side street.
Against Lagat who is completing some "easy" run.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Jan 8, 17 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

A stacked field will average well under 5min/mile for the entire race. The opening 400m is going to be 60-65 just to spread the field.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has been quiet lately. Any update?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Sounds like you either need to move or figure out how to join in some of his easy runs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like you either need to move or figure out how to join in some of his easy runs.

He uses strava.
But obviously, he could care less about setting stupid strava revords during his easy runs. His strava records happen purely by accident.

It seems his easy runs pace is sometimes as slow as 5:15: - 5:45 pace.

That means many of his strava segments (at least the ones that are less than 1.5 miles) are feasible- for someone like me.

Kind of stupid activity!

But it makes for ridiculous bragging:
"Currently, I am training to beat Bernard Lagats record"
Small voice:
"from Tanque Verde to Speedway on the bike path"
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Jan 29, 17 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Strava, for some reason, lists a bbunch of really stupid segments near my house. (Ie. fast .46 miles on this side street).

I feel I should "own" all the segments near my house.

And Bernard Lagat does NOT do LSD running.
He only runs 50 mpw but it is 100% sub 5:10 minute mile pace.

This creates a really stupid opportunity.
Where I can pit myself against Lagat....
Me racing 742 m on some random side street.
Against Lagat who is completing some "easy" run.

How can you find his slowest segment. It's probably out his front door for his first mile. You just need to find that one. Maybe it is a 5:30 mile? Maybe 6 min? Then go break it, and I think it would be awesome if slowman did a lifestyle article about some guy who beat him on Stava.

I accidentally stumbled upon this scenario a few years ago. I had climbed Alpe d'Huez with a work colleague. We then start the descent and Ed who was around 6'4" and 195lbs decides to take off like a bat out of hell (by the way, he did the climb in around 65 min so decent engine on the guy). I did not really understand what was going on but followed him and death defying speed. Around 7 switchbacks from the bottom, we got caught behind around 3 trucks/vans. Well first we got sucked into their draft and then there was nowhere to go. Ed threads the needle at 80 kph between vans going down, cars coming up and the next switchback approaching way too fast.

Still it was unclear to me why this descent felt like chasing Vinokourov into Gap with Beloki in tow. My buddy doing the Vino imitation was keen on gapping the vans and myself to the bottom. At this point it was clear there was some type of race going on, but I was unsure why. Now the vans get caught behind more cars and I am stuck riding the brakes down behind them. Ed has completed the full Vino replica attack.

I arrive at the car at the bottom of the descent and Ed's already playing with his phone on Stava having uploaded his "downhill segment". Turns out, he was in the top 30 or so all time but was slowed down by the motorcade. Clearly he knew of this segment and was planning to race it. Probably others had just "done" it as part of a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [CBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBO wrote:
This thread has been quiet lately. Any update?

Ok.
I started full on Triathlon training January 2nd.

Did 3 weeks high volume triathlon training + 1 week recovery.

I am still doing strides.
But no more 200s,400s,800s intervals.

I am now doing tempo runs, higher running volume, and much higher cycling and swim volume.

Still pursuing fast mile.
But it is not my first priority.

This week I did for fun:
A) 1 mile at the track- 5:22 (less than 100% effort - this was a minor improvement)
B) 800m Strava segment with 55 ft uphill- 2:32 (Runworks suggests this is like a 2:22 800).

Last week for fun:
1) I ran .81 mile segment -5:31 pace (This was done at the end of a 11 mile easy run).
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Jan 29, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this link will work.

Segment A:
https://www.strava.com/segments/8620061

(I think it is part of an easy 12 mile run that Lagat was doing while his daughter was playing soccer.
This run is 1.1 miles with 28 feet of climbing.
I think I only need to hold 5:25 pace).

Segment B:
Here is a segment that I won.
https://www.strava.com/segments/8424432
(I think Lagat was warming up while his daughter was playing soccer).
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you said you're back on tri-training now, but have/will you run a flat-out mile yet?

How much do you think you could shave off your 5:22 mentioned above?
Quote Reply
Re: Off season goal 5:00 mile [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

But it makes for ridiculous bragging:
"Currently, I am training to beat Bernard Lagats record"
Small voice:
"from Tanque Verde to Speedway on the bike path"

Tucson? rode that stretch on my bike often.
Quote Reply

Prev Next