Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric)
Quote | Reply
Even if you can't answer my question, maybe you can direct me to a forum that can.

I am attempting to design/make a vibrating platform (think foot massager) that has the following characteristics:
1. Vibrates at a frequency between 12-25 Hertz
2. Has an amplitude (displacement) of less than 4mm. Ideally somewhere between 1-4 mm.
3. Has an acceleration of less than 1G. Ideally between .3G's and 1G.

In a perfect world, this platform would only vibrate up and down and not side to side. But as I read more, it sounds like it may have to do both.

I'v done as much research as I can regarding linear resonance actuators, however these all seem to have higher frequencies than what I'm looking for. I then researched linear solenoids, but these seem to have lower frequencies than what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if a piezoelectric motor would work, but they seem to vibrate a pretty high frequencies also. I vibrating ERM motor may also work but I'm having difficulty finding one that fits my characteristics.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback on if this is possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric) [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me the first to make the obvious joke:

http://sybian.com

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric) [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe something like an internal combustion engine driven backwards.

A DC motor (controlled by a VFD of some sort) with a disk on the shaft. A connecting rod is attached to the disk from .5 to 2 mm from the center. The other end of the connecting rod is attached to the platform that is constrained by linear bearings.

It is kind of funny that I just took a break from a structural engineering course (I've got to get in the continuing education for my PE) to look at ST. And what do I find but another engineering question.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric) [timmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add that ideally the motor would be extremely small to fit in the vibrating pad/platform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am chemical engineer so not my territory. Questions about producing alcohol then we're taking real engineering!

Quote | Reply
Do a search for vibration shakers. Not sure of your price range, and you may not find anything other than test facility quality. But even with high quality test shakers ultimately the acceleration you can produce is a function of the mass you have attached. If doing a relatively fixed frequency, personally I'd go with a variable speed motor and design a rotary crank to interface.

By the way, on shakers, you can run them fixed or "free" - did some tests in the past where they were minimally constrained by hanging from the ceiling and attached to structure via a stinger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to frequent eng-tips.com. You can try there if looking for a forum.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have made a variety of these used to shake equipment before shipping as part of a QC process. In my construction I used simple DC motors with an offset weight applied to the shaft. Very similar to the vibrator inside many old school phones. I could then adjust the vibration amplitude and frequency by controlling the control voltage to the DC motor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a ball bearings nowadays.

Re: Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric) [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Questions about producing alcohol then we're taking real engineering!

How is a chemical reaction that occurs naturally considered "real engineering"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some sort of sealed bellows pulsated with a compressor?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch, help me find the answer to my engineering questions (actuators, solenoids, piezoelectric) [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What he's describing could possibly be built with parts similar to a speaker.
Quote Reply