Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Need help with a decision...components [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per everyone else, there is not a whole lot worth proactively replacing. I bought a 105-mix bike in March and have ridden it about 2,200 miles so far. The 105 stuff is probably good for a season of solid training before it starts showing wear shift quality degrades. And, my crankset is a dirt cheap FSA Omega with a fair amount of lateral flex. I think your Gossamer is a great deal better.

Probably, your biggest aero improvement is the base bar. It is just a round tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with a decision...components [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at different base bars...ones that are easier to place your hands on when I want to sit up more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larryl115 wrote:
Agreed...please keep in touch concerning what you do with your bike
Thank you
Larry

Hi Larryl,

my update on the Slice:

- Powertap G3 laced in the stock wheel (Shimano RS11)
- Fabric Flat Tri Elite Saddle
- Profile Design T4+ Carbon aero bar
- XLab Torpedo Kompact BTA bottle and Garmin mount
- Garmin Edge 520

http://www.jakubglinz.com CZ, Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with a decision...components [hajpr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks and sounds awesome. So far I have put on a fizik tri tone 6.5 saddle. I have purchased and not yet installed Rotor 3D+ 165 cranks with rotor chainrings, a full profile base bar, aero bars and brake levers. I'm excited to get that stuff out on. I'm totally in the dark about power meters...maybe when u have a chance u can educate me on that. I plan to purchase carbon wheels in the spring...it's getting to be winter here so I will be on the trainer for 3-4 months at least so no sense spending the money now. Today I will head out for the first ride other than on my trainer and go around the lake. It's very beautiful and looks very similar to the area in your picture. So far my wife and both love our slices! Thanks for keeping me posted...
Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a nice little 30 mile loop in my Slice today and absolutely love it. Smooth and light for certain! Looking forward to my new Profile cockpit and 3D cranks and O-rings...thanks everyone for your responses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the cockpit and saddle if set properly will enhance your riding experience :)

What exactly would you like to hear regarding power meters?

http://www.jakubglinz.com CZ, Europe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely look into power meters if you are this serious about spending money to enhance your bike. Especially if you are going to be on the trainer. It's really the only way to transfer and idea of your actual fitness from indoors to out.

I'd recommend a trainer road subscription. You need a speed sensor ($30) and an ant+ dongle along with your laptop and any trainer (listed on TR website) to get started . It will give you a "virtual power" based on wheel speed and trainer resistance settings. That will show you how much targeting specific power in a structured workout will help you. But you can't transfer that to outdoors without a power meter. Also note if you do get a PM, you can't use virtual power anymore. You need to use your PM indoors as well. Virtual power is not usually consistent with real power, but as long as you use consistent numbers as targets, it doesn't matter.

This will completely transform how you train. So it's probably the most important thing after having components that are functional and setting your fit to be comfortable enough to want to ride .

Now is the tricky part. A few questions.

How much do I want to spend? (SRM is a gold standard, but expensive)

Do I use multiple wheels? (Power tap hubs are great, but you'd need multiple if using different wheels)

Do I use multiple bikes? (Pedal based systems are great for this, but more expensive. I love my P1s so far)

Am I concerned enough about single sided vs double sided power? (Stages, vector single sided pedals, P1 single sided pedals, etc. are all cheaper options, but you'll never know if you are dominant with one leg......if that matters to you)

Hard to answer those questions for everyone. DCrainmaker has a really good article on choosing a PM. Also goes through pretty much all of them hitting the pros, cons, and price levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with a decision...components [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...there is a ton to learn and then decide on. I'm going to read DCRainmakers article as suggested and go from there. I really appreciate all the advise I have received and will use it to make my decisions........thank you
Quote Reply

Prev Next