Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Was there a football game on between the penalties last night? made me zzzzzzzzzz.. shut game off and went to bed.

Yeah, no wonder NFL ratings are down. That game sucked, the Jets really suck, and the penalties were out of control.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure any recent blown calls can out-do the Giant vs Ravens call on Sunday...

Late in the game, Giants up by 4 points and the Ravens are 3rd and 4, deep in their own half. All looking good for the Giants. Ravens go for a long pass up the right line. Ball is not thrown long enough and the Giant's Domonique Rogers-Cromartie should make an easy interception to the inside (with the Ravens receiver outside him). Except at the last minute the Ravens receiver is all over him and he doesn't make the interception. Flag thrown. I'm thinking, offensive pass interference, will set up 3rd and long for Ravens (or 4th and 4 if they decline the penalty), but the call GOES THE OTHER WAY! Defensive pass interference! Ravens 1st down on the Giants' 8 yard line (they even got the spot wrong) and soon after a Ravens touchdown.

http://giantswire.usatoday.com/...e-rodgers-cromartie/

Luckily the Giants still came back to win, but if ever I was to believe there was match-fixing in the NFL, then this game was a clear example of sufficiently bad officiating (against one team) to support the notion. There were two earlier blown calls that also went against the Giants, so it's hard not to wonder if the officials were trying to help the Ravens win.

We've seen match fixing in soccer, cricket and basketball. Why not NFL?
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

I'm kinda where you are. I am not claiming it definitely is happening, but I do not understand those who emphatically claim it is not possible.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed that this weekend. What a horrible call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm not sure any recent blown calls can out-do the Giant vs Ravens call on Sunday...

Wow, that is HORRENDOUS. The Sherman-Julio Jones call was pretty bad too and may have cost the Falcons a chance to win the game. Meanwhile Burfict does this to Bennett (0:22 seconds in; notice the ball hadn't even gotten to Bennett and he wasn't even the target before Burfict went for his knee):
http://www.nfl.com/...artellus-Bennett-low

Then later in the game he stomped on Blount's leg (and Blount's retaliation--where Burfict flopped like the pathetic asshat he is--drew a flag):
https://www.all22.com/...rb-lagarrette-blount

The NFL said they'd review the incidents and today announced Burfict--who was suspended 3 games to start the season for this egregious targeting of the head on Antonio Brown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tfLncD3pGM ---would only receive a fine.

Multiple offenses, clear targeting and attempt to injure and he gets a slap on the wrist. But the NFL says they care about player safety...

Meanwhile Brady got 4 games for being 'more likely than not generally aware' of a deflation scheme that wasn't proven and scientifically debunked. Fucking NFL...I love the excuse that the owners permit all this because Goodell makes them money. A fucking orangutan could run the NFL and make them money, the way things have been run the past decade is a travesty, the game is becoming unwatchable, no one knows what a penalty is, no one knows what constitutes 'taunting' or 'excessive celebration', truly dirty and dangerous play is hardly being penalized and teams can't even promote their own product on twitter, it's a fucking joke.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Oct 18, 16 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
orphious wrote:
Was there a football game on between the penalties last night? made me zzzzzzzzzz.. shut game off and went to bed.

Yeah, no wonder NFL ratings are down. That game sucked, the Jets really suck, and the penalties were out of control.

I turned it on in the 3rd quarter to see the Jets with only 3 points. Turned it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
That one didn't even pass the eye test at full-speed.

The only thing I can tell is that Sherman's body is blocking the official's sight line because he is directly behind Sherman and the official on the other side is likely being blocked by Jones' body.

Frustrating way to end a game, no doubt. But if Julio catches the slant that hit his hands and then was picked, Seattle never takes the lead to begin with.

I agree that the official was blocked and Sherman didn't pull his arm away from his body so it was harder to see.

I also think that the refs are reluctant to make a game-deciding PI call on a Hail Mary.
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

I agree that the official was blocked and Sherman didn't pull his arm away from his body so it was harder to see.

I also think that the refs are reluctant to make a game-deciding PI call on a Hail Mary.
PI should be reviewable...it has such massive implications given the yardage that they really need to have a way to make sure they get it right. Way too many of these late-game PI calls, one way or the other, that are flat-out wrong and effect the outcome of the game.

Don't even increase the number of reviews teams get, just allow PI's to be reviewed...there has to be a mechanism to get those looked at a second time.
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I'm kinda where you are. I am not claiming it definitely is happening, but I do not understand those who emphatically claim it is not possible.

Well of course you could also have individual refs who are being paid to either try to influence the outcome of a game, or just do enough to reduce the spread. In this case the calls undoubtedly reduced the deficit between the two teams (an earlier blown call forced the Giants to kick a field goal instead of moving the chains) despite the Giants still winning. Some of the big betting scandals in cricket have involved spread betting, so it's not hard to imagine the same thing going on in the NFL.

Man offers NFL ref a suitcase containing $250k to make a couple calls in favor of one team, with a promise of more if "all goes well"... That would be chump change for some of these betting cartels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the Giants kicking field goals.... Josh Brown anyone? I wonder how many dominos the commissioner has left to fall before he's out.
Last edited by: champy: Oct 20, 16 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone explain to me what Crabtree did to draw a personal foul on this play???

http://www.sbnation.com/...n-penalty?yptr=yahoo

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can definitely see how it might look like a throat slash gesture in real time to a ref. Especially if he only saw part of it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was going to do a throat slash for some unknown reason then thought better of it. The ref, I guess, considered it to be enough of a gesture.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
He was going to do a throat slash for some unknown reason then thought better of it. The ref, I guess, considered it to be enough of a gesture.

So, the refs are policing thoughts now?

Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I can definitely see how it might look like a throat slash gesture in real time to a ref. Especially if he only saw part of it.

To me, this show the refs are operating with a certain dangerous mentality -- i.e., anticipate a penalty and throw the flag regardless of the actual action.

This draws a flag, but the Seattle pass interference against Atlanta last week does not? That is some messed up officiating.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not defending the refs but he did put his hand to his throat. As slowguy said, a ref could have seen it and assumed that he did a throat slash.

Obviously the ref should make sure that he saw what he thought he saw but they are human.

Don't want a throat slash penalty? Keep your hand away from your throat.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Will NFL fans ever say "ENOUGH!" when it comes to blown officiating? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

You sure? Looks to me like he was going to adjust his tie, then remembered he was not wearing one.

Quote Reply

Prev Next