Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bizarre issue with new Powertap P1 pedal cleats not working on mainstream shoes
Quote | Reply
I'm having a bizarre issue with new Powertap P1 pedals I just received. On recent-model Specialized (2014?) and Sidi (2010?) road shoes, both with stiff carbon-reinforced plastic soles, the soles curve in the front/back dimension maybe half a millimeter more than the cleat does over the space where the cleat is located, and this flexes the cleat ever so slightly when it's bolted to the shoes, just enough that the cleat will not engage properly with the pedal. On one side, the pedal won't pop into the back of the cleat at all, on the other side it semi pops in but not sufficiently to actually hold the cleat.

Interestingly, the exact same issue occurs with my old Look-style cleats when bolted to shoes, i.e. they won't click into the Powertap either (and will click in just fine with my old Look-style pedals). Also, the Powertap cleats click into the pedals just fine when unattached to shoes, so the issue seems to be that the shoes ever so slightly deform them. I have the pedal engagement tension at its lowest (and shipped) setting, but not surprisingly, cranking it higher doesn't change the underlying issue. I have an extremely thin plastic shim from my fitter under one cleat, not the other, and both sides have the issue, so that's a non-issue. My cleats are pushed back toward the mid-foot as far as possible, which probably exacerbates the issue, and also in toward the bike as far as possible, but cleat screws don't allow much placement flexibility, so we're talking about modest differences.

I was able to "solve" the issue by putting an extra cleat washer between the cleat and the shoe where the front screw attaches, and as I suspected, this meant the cleat didn't deform at all and worked perfectly. If anything, that cleat washer is too thick for that purpose, ideally I'd find a washer that was half or 3/4 that thick, so we're really talking about a small fraction of a millimeter here (I'm frankly surprised that little deformation is enough to make the pedals dysfunctional).

I'm relatively confident I can rule out both defects (in shoes, pedals, or cleats) and user error (installing cleats and using pedals isn't rocket science, and I've used Look-style cleats and pedals for many years). I called Powertap and spoke to a nice guy (Brandon) who did the verbal equivalent of throwing up his hands, i.e. he was as baffled as I am.

I took a bunch of pictures, which I'd be happy to upload. I thought we had that functionality now, and I'm not that much of a Luddite, but I don't see any way to get pictures into this post.
Quote Reply
Re: bizarre issue with new Powertap P1 pedal cleats not working on mainstream shoes [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, and I'm guessing this second issue will be an easy fix: I can pair my P1s to my Garmin 920xt and the Powertap app on my iPhone, and in both cases it transmits cadence, so I know they're actually connected, but the power field(s) all remain stubbornly at zero. I've tried restarting, removing the batteries on both P1s, etc., but so far no luck.

EDIT: After exactly 5 mins of spinning the pedals, power started showing up. Now why Powertap couldn't mention that in the manual or the FAQ or somewhere else I don't know, or perhaps I overlooked it? Anyway, glad to have power. Still think the cleat issue is very odd, though.
Last edited by: niccolo: Sep 30, 16 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: bizarre issue with new Powertap P1 pedal cleats not working on mainstream shoes [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the early days of clipless pedals, incompatibility was a common problem.
Sidi shoes especially were more curved than most and usually did exactly as yours do.

Todays shoes tend on average to be a little flatter and I wish I could still buy slightly curved shoes as they fit my feet better.

Be careful shimming the cleats as you need to support them well as they could break or make for unwanted release when you least expect it.
Quote Reply
Re: bizarre issue with new Powertap P1 pedal cleats not working on mainstream shoes [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
In the early days of clipless pedals, incompatibility was a common problem.
Sidi shoes especially were more curved than most and usually did exactly as yours do.

Todays shoes tend on average to be a little flatter and I wish I could still buy slightly curved shoes as they fit my feet better.

Be careful shimming the cleats as you need to support them well as they could break or make for unwanted release when you least expect it.

Interesting. As I mentioned, these are pretty recent models of shoes, which is why this seemed so strange. I think the issue is in part that my cleats are mounted fairly far back, where there's a bit more curvature to the shoe. And I suspect the higher stack height design of the P1 pedals is a bit less forgiving of even slight cleat curvature than other designs, which is why this was a non-issue on my prior, almost identical pedals and is an issue with these.

With a washer under the front screw, the cleat basically hugs the shoe, so I'm not too worried about it being unsupported. But longer term I will look for something in a hard plastic to shim with instead, apparently Speedplay cleats have to be perfectly flat and have various shims, and the shims bike fitters use may also work. I'm not sure why a washer or shim would cause unwanted release, but the good news is it seems to work fine now.

After one significant ride, pedals seem to work well. There's a bit more of a Speedplay-style "skating" feeling within the float range, and the cleats don't "find" the pedals quite as well as I'm used to, but neither of those are a big deal. And the power data appears on point.
Quote Reply