Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2017_penticton_itu_multisport_world_championships#

How do you qualify for this race?? List of races? Who came up with these distances?
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:
http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2017_penticton_itu_multisport_world_championships#

How do you qualify for this race?? List of races? Who came up with these distances?

I will speak only to the long distance race which is a slightly bastardized version of the traditional Nice Distance - 4K-120K-30K, aka the Triple Olympic or 03 (slightly rounded on the swim). Sometimes the ITU will race the O2. Why Penticton's swim is only 3K is beyond me.

Qualification standards are set by national governing bodies. In the U.S., you qualify based on your place at the national championships with a couple of slots reserved for the top 2 takers out of the top 20 in the USAT national rankings by AG. So if you want to do the Long Distance Tri or Long Distance Aquabike then you better be in Miami on 13 Nov or have a very high USAT ranking.
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ironmuffin wrote:

I will speak only to the long distance race which is a slightly bastardized version of the traditional Nice Distance - 4K-120K-30K, aka the Triple Olympic or 03 (slightly rounded on the swim). Sometimes the ITU will race the O2. Why Penticton's swim is only 3K is beyond me.

Qualification standards are set by national governing bodies. In the U.S., you qualify based on your place at the national championships with a couple of slots reserved for the top 2 takers out of the top 20 in the USAT national rankings by AG. So if you want to do the Long Distance Tri or Long Distance Aquabike then you better be in Miami on 13 Nov or have a very high USAT ranking.

I am hoping for the high ranking. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The word when we were in Oklahoma was that the swim distance for the long course is going to be changed from 4k to 3k from now on. I didn't realize it was happening right away or for sure. I guess it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [Trailqueen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a swimmer but this is another ITU knife in the back of swimmers. So instead of an "O3" we will now race the "O-2-3-3".
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Qualification: I qualified last year at Redman/LC Nationals by winning my AG (it was a half iron distance) & as for the distances, it's about 3/4 of an Ironman. The 4K swim is fair I think, you don't want a duathlon scenario. As for the ITU length--I've never done this distance until last weekend. Not that it mattered anyhow, I sabotaged my own race in every possible way. It was all me & I deserved all the walking and stopping I did (16 aid stations to be exact). But luckily, I finished. From what I heard, many did not. The conditions were super tough--but the most fun was the swim, although I felt like I was going to drown multiple times & was actually concerned for my safety. It was still fun. Until we got on land, then it really started to suck.

Example of another way to get on the team...petition USAT. Dave Slavinski raced last weekend there & did not race Nationals last year, so he may have gotten in because he is a super high ranked guy and if I were the decider--would have let him on the team as well. We all know how fast he is (if not you're living in a cave)...so he was a good choice if anyone would be let in on ranking. So I count two ways to get in on the team. Top 18 I think it is at Nats or ranking.
Quote Reply
Re: Intrigued by these distances and race....but confused. LC Worlds [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Qualification: I qualified last year at Redman/LC Nationals by winning my AG (it was a half iron distance) & as for the distances, it's about 3/4 of an Ironman. The 4K swim is fair I think, you don't want a duathlon scenario. As for the ITU length--I've never done this distance until last weekend. Not that it mattered anyhow, I sabotaged my own race in every possible way. It was all me & I deserved all the walking and stopping I did (16 aid stations to be exact). But luckily, I finished. From what I heard, many did not. The conditions were super tough--but the most fun was the swim, although I felt like I was going to drown multiple times & was actually concerned for my safety. It was still fun. Until we got on land, then it really started to suck.

Example of another way to get on the team...petition USAT. Dave Slavinski raced last weekend there & did not race Nationals last year, so he may have gotten in because he is a super high ranked guy and if I were the decider--would have let him on the team as well. We all know how fast he is (if not you're living in a cave)...so he was a good choice if anyone would be let in on ranking. So I count two ways to get in on the team. Top 18 I think it is at Nats or ranking.

Ranking process is top 20 can put their name in, then the top 2 that want to go in those twenty get an invite.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply