Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More kona slots to be redistributed to achinese 70.3 next year then.

Septembre would be nice and entice me to race it. I prefer to do an im after a full summer of training.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I live in Florida...at the end of the summer, we're cooked here ;-)
But yeah, la cĂ´te fin septembre, c'est le pied.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I am far from cooked at the end of the british summer :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
British summer? That sounds like a lovely oxymoron. All my condolences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
Setembre would be nice but a little close to IM vichy which is always last weekend of august. I know some people that were racing both. But I guess it will only be a problem for very few people.

There are many solutions to this problem....French athletes who want to do two IM's can venture outside France for either a second one earlier in the year to add to a Sep Nice date, or to compliment a late Aug Vichy date. Or they can move Vichy earlier in the year to accommodate Nice. Or people can double up Nice+Vichy a few weeks apart. People give Americans a hard time about not wanting to leave their country to race, but in fairness their country is gigantic and leaving their country involves very long trips (even inside their country is like going from Nice to Moscow if you go NY to California). To leave France, with a long drive you have access to many European IM's, more so than US athletes have in driving range from a given part of the US relative to any point in France
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fully agree. This is far from a deal breaker. Moving nice to the 2nd half of september will work well given the circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
People give Americans a hard time about not wanting to leave their country to race, but in fairness their country is gigantic and leaving their country involves very long trips (even inside their country is like going from Nice to Moscow if you go NY to California). To leave France, with a long drive you have access to many European IM's, more so than US athletes have in driving range from a given part of the US relative to any point in France

I think Americans often get an undeserved bad rap for that. I'm not sure a lot of Europeans truly understand just how big our country is. Our country is the 4th largest in the world and literally covers every kind of climate imaginable. We have arctic, tropical, desert, plains, mountains, and everything in between all within our border. There are very few countries that have that unique quality.

Canada is even larger but nobody lives in 90% of your country. ;-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
People give Americans a hard time about not wanting to leave their country to race, but in fairness their country is gigantic and leaving their country involves very long trips (even inside their country is like going from Nice to Moscow if you go NY to California). To leave France, with a long drive you have access to many European IM's, more so than US athletes have in driving range from a given part of the US relative to any point in France

I think Americans often get an undeserved bad rap for that. I'm not sure a lot of Europeans truly understand just how big our country is. Our country is the 4th largest in the world and literally covers every kind of climate imaginable. We have arctic, tropical, desert, plains, mountains, and everything in between all within our border. There are very few countries that have that unique quality.

I think this stems from the fact that everywhere in the US speaks English as a first language. Whereas in Europe, a small journey as you rightly say, can introduce us to many different nationalities, cultures and languages. So although Zurich is a 2 hour flight from London. It's very different culturally and linguistically from New York to Charleston. (also 2 hours)

I dare say that it goes both ways. Do many Europeans actually go outside Europe to race? For example I wouldn't really entertain Australia unless I was going for another reason. Boulder? I suppose I might make the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I am hopeful

That woukd be awesome for all sorts of personal reasons
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

LOL, 90% of us live within 100K of the US border so we all travel to the closest spot to the US border rather than to the rest of our country. And it takes me 6.5 hrs to fly to London England or 5 hours to travel to Vancouver so doing an IM in the UK is probably equally as incovenient as an IM in Whistler. To tell you the truth it is just as fast for me to get to IM France as it was to get to IM Tahoe given that I can fly right into Nice and have an additional 4 hrs drive to Tahoe. Probably the easiest IM for me to get to that is "far" is IM Frankfurt. I just got back from Frankfurt and it is a direct flight home, 8 hours one way, 7.5 hours the other way. If I could literally fly out after work on Friday nite, arrive Sat, check in, race Sunday and fly home at 10 am from Frankfurt on Monday and be in the office by 1 pm the same day given the flight times. There is the small part about Saturday check in, but main point is that getting around the US or Canada is a real pain and at some point if you have to cross this continent, it's almost as easy to cross the Atlantic to race in Europe. And if you don't have to cross this continent but have to drive 10-15 hours for your "local IM" in North America that's like covering a good radius of European IM's if you live anywhere in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just transferred my entry from France to Copenhagen. Hill training through an entire Arizona summer, which I would need for France at any date later than June, totally kills me. I will look to go to France in 2018. Good luck to those who go this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the organisers have given racers 3 options for Ironman France now:
After we have a final decision on the new date, we will propose the following options:

- an automatic entry for the new race date in 2017
- a transfer to any other open IRONMAN race in Europe or South Africa free of charge
- a full refund of your entry fee

Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to argue with these options under the circumstances. The Europe races must be run by different folks because I doubt they would offer a full refund if this were a race in North America.
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they've done the right thing and i am sure that were a US location to suffer similar events to Nice and the local authorities decided to not allow a race to proceed. IMNA would do the right thing. Setting aside if its the right thing to do, and i think it is, the PR consequences of not doing it really could be disastrous
Quote Reply
Re: IM France 2017: promenade denied [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious if they suggested a 2016 race may occur later in year or is notion of entry to France race for 2017 only?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply

Prev Next