Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SCHOOL me on how to train for my next marathon [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
A 3:15 marathon is pedestrian, for someone who can easily run faster! For you it will be a 100% effort (maybe more!), don't downplay it, it will be tough.

I have the feeling you underestimate how much toll it all takes on your body, I can't really understand how you walked 12 miles of an IM marathon, but it wasn't too hard! The reason people start walking is because the can no longer physically run, which isn't a 'normal' state of affairs!

Good luck with the marathon, I think that if you trained properly for a marathon i.e. >70 mile weeks, actual long runs + 16 week build up, you would most probably break 3, but for the training you are doing, you are doing good times.

i walked 12 miles because i knew any chances of a high placement/kq was out of the picture. so there was no point running hard in 97 degree weather, knowing that i had vegas marathon (the one this thread is about) coming up. it was more mental than anything.

hope that helps answer it.

i know the marathon will be tough. 3:15 will be my reach goal. realistically, i see myself being in the 3:20-3:30 region. if i can do that and not totally destroy myself, that's a victory in itself.
Quote Reply
Re: SCHOOL me on how to train for my next marathon [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
back to report on my results.

training didn't go as planned. had back to back 20ish mile weeks, then a 38 mile week, then another 30 mile week with 2 weeks of taper.

week prior to the marathon i barely ran. i ended up doing a monster day on friday (3-4 hours hiking, 5-6 hours climbing) in red rocks and only had 300 calories and a liter of water all day. i'm sure that didn't help me race day, nor did all the beers and hot tubbing, or it was bouldering for 5 hours before the race (in the sun)... but i kinda knew i wasn't going to run a 3:15 d/t the lack of miles so i decided to just have fun.

ended up running a 3:35. not sure what happened as it seems that i held a pretty consistent 8 min mile pace. garmin says i ran a 3:29. but idk, it doesn't really matter. i felt pretty consistent the whole race. legs felt cruddy at the last mile, but it was because i had to pee real bad and there were like zero port potty from 20+, or at least from what i could see.

https://www.strava.com/activities/777076195

ended up hanging out with friends and climbing the next 2 days. no injuries, legs are feeling good already. looking to just rest up for a few weeks then work in putting miles in and going for that sub 3:15 in feb for austin marathon.

thanks for the support/info/knowledge ST
Quote Reply

Prev Next