Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Cops involved? They usually take that sort of stuff quite seriously.

Not in my experience.

Is it because of the frequency? That is sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
As for Hank blaming mental health rather than the guns themselves.

I don't mind him blaming mental health. It's his suggestion that more guns are the obvious solution to a mental health issue that's a bit odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I'm an outsider I live in Europe and incidents like this sound terrifying. As for Hank blaming mental health rather than the guns themselves. Wow! That sounds like it's straight from an NRA lobbyist.
In the uk it is illegal to own a hand gun. We had one school shooting in Dunblane, Scotland and we banned them outright. Since then guess how many school shootings the Uk has had. less than one.
As for having a gun pulled on you when cycling. Yes the guy that pulled the gun has serious issues but his access to a gun made the situation much much worse.
All countries have self entitled idiots but giving them access to guns is madness.

Blimey, I didn't realise hand-guns were legal in the UK up until the Dunblane massacre, I had no idea the legislation was that recent. The Wikipedia page for Gun Control Policy in the UK makes for interesting reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the whole thing was fake.
I haven't seen anything outside of the few blog posts mentioning the Facebook post.
The account that the FB post came from looks fake. One post in all of 2016 and it is not Hincapie's FB verified page. He has made no mention of the event on his official FB page.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck yes! I am TOTALLY in favor of controlling guns and keeping them from the crazy people!
Who should get to make that decision?...
You? Me? Eric "Fast & Furious" Holder? Obama (and the small militia who surrounds him 24-7)?
I think not.

Despite your comprehensive and insightful defense, you're wrong.
As evidence, you could Google or (my recommendation) Google Image "historical gun violence."
Or if you're liberal you could just invent your own facts within your HuffPo circle-j of Clinton Foundation-paid online trolls and invent your own reality.
But that's Schizophrenia, which is a mental disorder, and you end up right back where I started.

Let's not infect ST with political ideology.
I'll make you guys a deal.
I'll stop baiting trolls, if you stick to the OT.
Deal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men much smarter than you and I thought I should be able to carry a firearm when I ride my bike.
They seemed to be inspired by foreign aggression from "some self entitled idiots" from... yep, the UK.
And things have worked out well for one country for a few hundred years.
Not so well for the other.

So yes, you should refrain from commenting on topics you don't understand.
And yes, it is madness for someone from the UK to opine on self-defense.
If it weren't for us, you'd be responding back in German right now.
And we have five military bases in the UK alone.
FFS, the UK didn't even control of it's own government until Brexit.
Yes, you are an outsider. And yes it doesn't surprise me you live in "terror."
Your country is a global punch line for cowardice and mental instability.
Perhaps you should focus on the Calais "Jungle" camp to see how government treats unarmed people.
When you need the French to protect you, you know your country is in the final innings.

When they start writing books and making blockbuster movies about British heroes, then please feel free to provide your opinions in a US triathlon forum about firearms.
Until then, I'll keep enjoying those books and movies about Texans Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell.

Thanks for the anecdotal story about Dunblane. Very enlightening.
Not as enlightening as London knife attacks, but close.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh great, another gun debate!!!

I'm sure everyone will change their stances by the end of the bickering. I'm optimistic this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HankRearden wrote:
Men much smarter than you and I thought I should be able to carry a firearm when I ride my bike.
They seemed to be inspired by foreign aggression from "some self entitled idiots" from... yep, the UK.
And things have worked out well for one country for a few hundred years.
Not so well for the other.

So yes, you should refrain from commenting on topics you don't understand.
And yes, it is madness for someone from the UK to opine on self-defense.
If it weren't for us, you'd be responding back in German right now.
And we have five military bases in the UK alone.
FFS, the UK didn't even control of it's own government until Brexit.
Yes, you are an outsider. And yes it doesn't surprise me you live in "terror."
Your country is a global punch line for cowardice and mental instability.
Perhaps you should focus on the Calais "Jungle" camp to see how government treats unarmed people.
When you need the French to protect you, you know your country is in the final innings.

When they start writing books and making blockbuster movies about British heroes, then please feel free to provide your opinions in a US triathlon forum about firearms.
Until then, I'll keep enjoying those books and movies about Texans Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell.

Thanks for the anecdotal story about Dunblane. Very enlightening.
Not as enlightening as London knife attacks, but close.

Yes, glad somebody said it.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [FullEmpty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You notice they always start with some asshole from Europe or Australia making an insulting comment about American culture?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah inevitably some asshole always says this too. Great grade two argument dude!!

TheForge wrote:
You notice they always start with some asshole from Europe or Australia making an insulting comment about American culture?
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [macbain_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whose arguing. I just think foreigners who bitch about the us and our gun laws are assholes. And I'm holding back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh No, Foreigners have opinions!!

I can't believe the gall of those wannabe immigrants having an opinion on guns/violence/mental health in a developed western country. what assholes!

Sorry to break it to you Forgey, the culture in 'merica isn't sooo radically different from other western advanced societies. all of them have intellectual liberal assholes, conservative isolationist assholes, mental health afflicted assholes, indignant religious nut assholes, impoverished minority assholes, patriotic assholes, ... etc etc etc.

wonder which asshole you are? did I list Ignorant entitled no empathy asshole?

TheForge wrote:
Whose arguing. I just think foreigners who bitch about the us and our gun laws are assholes. And I'm holding back.
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [FullEmpty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FullEmpty wrote:
Oh great, another gun debate!!!

I'm sure everyone will change their stances by the end of the bickering. I'm optimistic this time.
Oh what is that Lucy? Another football for me to kick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh huh. Well how about you keep your rude comments about my country amongs you and your countrymen. Otherwise you are no less of an asshole than the drunk you walks up to my dinner table and calls my wife ugly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way. I love Britain, and british people. My family came here from Britain in the 1600's. But I absolutely take issue with a lot of the customs and norms in Britain. But my opinion shouldn't matter to any Brit, and if it bothered me enough, I wouldn't ever visit there. That would be the same advice I offer any would be foreigner who sees fit to insult my country.

How would you feel if somebody like me said that I think British people were stupid for even considering ceding their sovereignty to a bunch of technocratic authoritarians in Brussels? I would probably be offensive to half the country wouldn't it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol I should have known you would would have quickly responded that I should shut my trap since I must be a foreigner.

true, I currently do not live in the states (though I have in a couple of different statres over many years), and tricked one of your women to be my bride, now I have an good ole american wife and american kids family, and gosh darn I have my opinion too.

all I am saying is just because that guy has never lived in the states doesn't mean he doesn't have a valid point of view on a topic in the states. I lived on the US west coast and east coast and I can tell you the differences in attitudes was just as diverse within the states.

And all of the western developed countries have dealt with similar problems and you shouldn't just dismiss them. There is a reason that governments look at other similar governments when they are investigating doing major policy changes.

Sorry your statements just expose you as an asshole and I glad you are blissfully ignorant of it, since then you can still feel like you a good person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh huh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am Canadian.
And yes I feel you have every right in my book to other up an opinion on something here if it was part of a conversation...for instance say in a healthcare thread you proposed that canada should have a private option (similar to something in USA) or no public or something to our healthcare and you had a concrete nuanced point to make. I wouldn't call you an asshole and tell you you have no right to propose a different path for our health care or gun laws or such. You are from one of the major G7 countries similar to each other and you similar life in that country would afford you the experiences to be able to talk about it.

oh well I am outta of this thread...

TheForge wrote:
By the way. I love Britain, and british people. My family came here from Britain in the 1600's. But I absolutely take issue with a lot of the customs and norms in Britain. But my opinion shouldn't matter to any Brit, and if it bothered me enough, I wouldn't ever visit there. That would be the same advice I offer any would be foreigner who sees fit to insult my country.

How would you feel if somebody like me said that I think British people were stupid for even considering ceding their sovereignty to a bunch of technocratic authoritarians in Brussels? I would probably be offensive to half the country wouldn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [benb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benb wrote:
HankRearden wrote:

Gun violence is a symptom, not the cause.

The cause is lack of gun control.

In your world I guess guns have some strange mental control over people. Marvel would love talk to you, they are looking for a new superhero shtick for an upcoming movie.

The reality is people are the cause, the gun is simply a tool. In places where that tool is unavailable, the people who want to hurt people will use knives or other weapons. In the UK paper there were no less than a dozen knife assaults reported today alone. Sounds a lot like Chicago to me, just without the bang but the same blood on the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Gun pulled on Hincapie and Son [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I had no idea that I'd ruffle so many feathers. I was not trying to be a troll.
I am a Brit and live in Scandinavia. I have friends here who own guns but they are kept at the gun range.
My point was guns are a tool like knives. But guns have one use . Knives are very useful for a huge range of things. Knives are a poor tool for killing lots of people in a short time. Guns are quite good. Guns are a very effective killing tool. Which also makes them a good intimidation tool for men.
PS some of the opinions on British news and history are enlightening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
PS some of the opinions on British news and history are enlightening.

That's a nice way of putting it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next