Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical?
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone. im a bit stumped. trying to decide whether I should upgrade to Di2 or switch completely to campy chorus? they both have benefits, and around going to cost me around or over a grand to do so I am open to advice, and suggestions. I have a BMC TM02 ultegra

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [palfiero182] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big advantage of Campa is the ergo lever imo, which you don't get with the tt group. So if you can stomach the looks of the Shimano group, go for it. If it was a road bike, the choice would be harder for me personally.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya I like the TT levers for campy and having mechanical is a lot less of a pain. but putting di2 on seems like it could be beneficial, after I get past the wiring and having to charge batteries, even if I don't have to charge them all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the question not
Ultegra Di2 or Campy EPS ??????
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trying to stay around the same price range. the camoy chorus eps is about 800 more then it would be to just upgrade to ultegra di2. I don't mind mechanical. I just hate the shimano TT Shifters. I would get eps in a second over di2 if I could find it for a reasonable price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the mechanical Campy Chorus.
Because if you go Di2 you will never want mechanical shifting again. And that makes it super expensive as you then want Di2 on all your bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even a question for me, I would go Di2 every day of every week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palfiero182 wrote:
Hello everyone. im a bit stumped. trying to decide whether I should upgrade to Di2 or switch completely to campy chorus? they both have benefits, and around going to cost me around or over a grand to do so I am open to advice, and suggestions. I have a BMC TM02 ultegra

Thanks!

Depends what you want & why. In one way, it's perhaps really a question of whether electronic is important or not. If not, why are you changing from one mech system to another? I personally use and really like Chorus on my road bike but for a BMC TT bike, I would struggle to see what it offers over Ultegra except aesthetics. Both are arguably the best value/feature groups in their respective ranges.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like electronic, but I don't have it and I don't have any money to change ... :-(

I can comment on the campy chours in tt format though ... :-)

I like it, although I suspect the only real difference you will notice is the bar end shifters - nice shape (if you ride with your hands wrapped around the shifter) and nice return to center functionality.

I think the campy asthetics are better but that's just a personal opinion.

I have the bullet crank on my setup which is making a few annoying noises now - suspect that may be more of a press fit issue rather than a campy issue though ?

Would I spend the money to do what maybe is a sideways change for you to fit mechanical chours ? Probably not ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palfiero182 wrote:
trying to stay around the same price range. the camoy chorus eps is about 800 more then it would be to just upgrade to ultegra di2. I don't mind mechanical. I just hate the shimano TT Shifters. I would get eps in a second over di2 if I could find it for a reasonable price

Di2, no question. I used just about every mechanical group, and didn't think di2 would be any big deal. Now that I have it (Ultegra) I love it. BUT, I would only go to it if you are going to pony up and also buy the DI2 TT brake levers, in addition to the bar end di2 shifters. I love being able to shift on those brake levers while climbing and cornering. And the system essentially never goes out of tune.

Go for it, you won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending how often you shift, you might need to charge your battery once in about 3,000 to 5,000 km. It's really not an issue.

Di2 is way less of a pain than mechanical when you need to microadjust, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mechanical anything vs electronic on a TT? How is this even a contest? Perhaps it's just me, but when I am in my wet trisuit sitting on a TT bike for many many hours before breaking into a marathon, and have multiple positions to switch my gears from, last thing I am bothered about are the aesthetics and how beautifully smooth my shifting is happening. I may be wrong, but I am paying way more attention to my power meter data, timing for nutrition and a freaking road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was a road bike, I'd lean towards Campy because of the Ergo shifters. But with TT bar-end shifters, Ultegra Di2 is so much nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgro wrote:
Mechanical anything vs electronic on a TT? How is this even a contest? Perhaps it's just me, but when I am in my wet trisuit sitting on a TT bike for many many hours before breaking into a marathon, and have multiple positions to switch my gears from, last thing I am bothered about are the aesthetics and how beautifully smooth my shifting is happening. I may be wrong, but I am paying way more attention to my power meter data, timing for nutrition and a freaking road.

So much bike equipment is bought based on looks... I don't see why a groupset should not be considered on a similar basis. They don't do anything for your ride quality, but we all know that we would rather ride a bike we like and a bike we like is generally a bike that we think looks good, and feels good as well. I am not disagreeing with you on mechanical vs electronic, but to say that aesthetics and smooth shifting is not a consideration is a bit short-sighted, for most people at least (but clearly not you, and that's fine!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess the base thought on this question is: Shimano ultegra is a great groupset. i hate the TT shifters. i also dont have a problem with mechanical groupset, as much as id love di2. campy groupos are much nicer looking but thats not the point. for roughly the same amount of money is the chorus group with the back to zero shifters beter then the ultegra mechanical? and then also is ultegra di2 better then chorus? that seems like a silly question because its electronic shifting, no trimming so on and so forth. but if im gonna spend the money that i know i am able to i wanna get the best possible groupset as i can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, Sram and Zipp also make return to center shifters, which work with Sram/shimano groups, so if you just want to move away from the clicky shifters of Di2 then you don't necessarily have to go Campa for that. But seeing as you can afford either Campa or Di2, if I'm reading you right: pick with your heart and go Chorus, pick with your head and pick Ultegra Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain this a little to me? My Dura Ace bar TT shifters were damaged in a crash earlier this year and I limped them along to the end of the season. I have 105 on my BMC TM02 and I was just about to buy some new DA TT shifters but if something else works better, I am all for it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they're indexed, but the "shiftfinger" (yes there are two f's in there ;) returns to the same position after a shift-actuation. They're not cheap though. I'm not even sure if Zipp make an 11 speed version, but Sram make multiple versions, here's one:

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-sl-1150-r2c-aero-shifter-set
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is really interesting and I think they seem better than the DA ones. Right now, my shifters are a pain the butt since they really point up in the air on my ski extensions.

Edit: found them cheap: https://www.evanscycles.com/...shifter-set-EV208803
Last edited by: ironcode: Sep 29, 16 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the campy type (maybe on others ?) you can also set the zero / datum position to suit before installing the cables.

You could have them set level to the ground, even on upturned extensions if you wanted.

Useful feature, especially to maximise comfort if you use the shifter body to hold / as an extension to the handle bars.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2 or Campy Chorus mechanical? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Why is the question not
Ultegra Di2 or Campy EPS ??????

I can answer this, I have a broken EPS SuperRecord group....I can buy almost an entire Ultegra Di2 set for the cost of the Campy derailleurs alone. Cost to replace is nuts, & I might just go back to mechanical Shimano Ultegra because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Di2 Ultegra 10p and 11p Campy Choruse on road bikes. I love my Campy - have Super Record on 2 other bikes (sux to be me). That said, the Di2 shifts are faster and light (subjective, I know). For the tt bike, I'd go with the Di2.

This is definitely a "want" decision. There's nothing wrong with that, but neither will make you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 3 years ago I got tired of the crappy looking Shimano shifters; I loved the look of the SRAM R2C, so spent ages on ebay sniping & finally came-up with a brand new set for £103! Then I bought a Red RD & Force FD on ebay to work with them. Total cost around 250GBP.

It must be over 6 years ago now, that I was warned about not trying Di2, as it's all I would want. Given how widespread Di2 is now, but it was only this summer in an Ironman that a guy came past me and I heard his bike make a loud whirring sound as he changed rings, and I thought 'what the heck was that?'. If the cash was burning a hole I'd get it, but there are other priorities nowadays.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a Campy guy, so it would be hard to recommend Di2. My big gripe would be the wiring. In the age of ANT and Bluetooth everything, why do we still need wired Di2 and those stupid junction boxes. How many years has Di2 been out and their solution for most installs is to zip tie the thing to the stem?

I would do SRAM or wait for FSA. Wired shifting will be as appealing as a wired power meter in a couple of years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go Di2. I switched before last year's season, and it was a game changer. Put simply, it just works. For the internal battery, I've had to charge it twice per year, and you get plenty of warning to charge it.
Quote Reply