Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

starting to run after cervical compression
Quote | Reply
Long story short, compressed C5-6 pretty bad on 3/27 of this year which took this years IMAZ off the table.

Fast forward, I've had 2 cortisone steroid injections and now have no pain. Went to the spin doctor as a follow up this morning, and she and I talked about where I’m at. Currently I have no pain. I told her in 6 months that I wanted to have another MRI done to see if I can be cleared to run. She said that they won’t do another MRI unless they are going to change how they are treating me. And that I was never going to get cleared to run from her as once a person has had an issue its to high of a liability for the doctor to give the thumbs up. However she said if i’m insistent on running to start out run/walk short distances and build up which she is not granting permission or recommending. She said start out slow and short on grass with good form up on toes and not heal striking. So for those of you that have dealt with this, how did you start back up running?

I'm thinking Hokas and running in the grass for short durations, she said at the beginning to evaluate 4 times.

1 How did I feel before
2 How do I feel during
3 How do I feel 30 mins after
4 How do I feel the next day

Thoughts?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: starting to run after cervical compression [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I compressed my C5/C6 disc in a bad bicycle crash in 1984. Ended up not running for about 6 months. Resumed and ran until 1998 (probably averaging around 35-40 mpw) when I began to develop severe numbness in arms/hands/legs/feet. Had discectomy and fusion surgery. Doctor told me not to run/play sports involving jumping/or mountain bike. Well, I obeyed the last two, but running is a big part of my life, so I resumed running after rehab. It's 2016 and I'm still OK and running, averaging maybe 20 mpw. I run on the roads out of necessity since that's what I have available where I live. I've been wearing Hokas for last several years. I only use aerobars for short periods to cut down on the pressure from the head tilt. I tell you this just so you have some experience from someone who has gone through it. Doctors always want their patients to be ultra-cautious, and I understand that. I do take their recommendations under serious consideration. But at the end of the day, it is up to each individual to decide for themselves what they are going to do and what they consider to be acceptable risks for quality of life.

I started back slowly by interspersing short periods of running within a walk. If you can do this on stable grass, great. If not, a dirt path or smooth trail is the next preferable thing. I would avoid running on grass if the footing is not stable, like if it has ruts, holes, etc. I would also probably not wear Hokas in the grass. I love my Hokas but don't feel very stable when running with them in grass. I would suggest something a little lower to the ground unless you feel stable in the Hokas on grass. On dirt or roads though, Hokas by all means. Do your 4-point evaluation, and if all goes well, slowly increase the time you run and decrease the amount you walk. Try to avoid running or walking down steep hills for a while.

I find inversion therapy to be helpful, as well. Hope this helps some.
Quote Reply
Re: starting to run after cervical compression [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny I saw your screen name today and wondered what lead up to it... Now I know...

Have you ever used a neck traction device? I just ordered one off amazon.

So it sounds like for you sprints and maybe olympics, but no HIM or IM. Honestly I don't really care about racing I just want to be able to live the lifestyle that I have lived over the past 10 years.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I've looked at the neck traction devices but have never pulled the trigger and purchased one. But my neck has been a little crankier than usual lately and it might be time to give one a try.

I don't like sprint tris. I mainly stick to Olympic distance with an occasional half thrown in. I do not race for fast times as my body has put those days behind me (arthritis in the knees with the left one likely needing replacement within a few years). But I still like to get out there and have some fun. I have decided that against all good sense I will give one last Ironman race a go and see how I do on such minimal run training.

I wish you well and I don't see any reason that you can't still live your active lifestyle. We just need to be a bit more careful than most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This advice from your doctor is just plain nuts. It sounds like an orthopedist. Was your injury traumatic? Do you have an unstable spine where your head might fall off? Has your doctor ever run or understand that heel v toe striking is largely irrelevant? How could the shock of running go from your feet to knees to hip to spine and up your spine and not be absorbed at all to the neck and then have such an impact that you might die or be paralyzed??? Does she completely negate the body's ability to actually heal and allow you to live your life? MRIs are not devices to be used to diagnose unless you are a surgical candidate.

Forgive the sarcasm. Your body has an amazing ability to heal and compensate for injury. As with life, let pain be your guide. Start slow and progress slowly. Maybe you can get a script from your doctor to see a PT. If your neck is that concerning, riding a bike is far more taxing (position and potential for real injury) than running.
Quote Reply
Re: starting to run after cervical compression [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor, but she sounds more interested in covering her own ass than enabling your recovery.

I had a stable T7 wedge fracture last year and was running within 8 weeks under the guidance of my physio. Running certainly didn't aggravate my injury and if anything it seemed to help the recovery.

I suggest you seek a second opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap.

I just got hit by a car last week. Left shoulder is in a large amount of pain, but I was up and walking around. Went to ER, found out that my shoulder and nothing broken, but I had a C7 fracture. Still waiting on official diagnosis (should be getting tomorrow). Don't know what I'll do if they tell me no more running after this incident.
Quote Reply