Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
No celebrities this year, but there are some human interest stories.

What, so there'll be no ST rants about celebrities at Kona this year!?!?!? It's going to feel so empty......

I tried, but I really couldn't muster the enthusiasm. It would only be a cut and paste job from previous years, and you guys are worth so much more than that.

Awwwwwww......
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kathleen McCartney
The lady indirectly responsible for triathlon being an actual thing rather than an oddity, and no comments on it. Without her, triathlon wouldn't be what t is today by a long shot.

I think you guys are thinking of Julie Moss? Julie was the one who collapsed and crawled across the line with the Wide World of Sports camera rich on her the entire time. Kathleen just happened to be the one who ran by her unnoticed in the background, could have been anyone. Anyway, Kathleen has been a great ambassador for the sport, as has Julie Moss, but it was Julie that got the tens of thousands off their couches and into the local bike shops.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Kathleen McCartney
The lady indirectly responsible for triathlon being an actual thing rather than an oddity, and no comments on it. Without her, triathlon wouldn't be what t is today by a long shot.

I think you guys are thinking of Julie Moss? Julie was the one who collapsed and crawled across the line with the Wide World of Sports camera rich on her the entire time. Kathleen just happened to be the one who ran by her unnoticed in the background, could have been anyone. Anyway, Kathleen has been a great ambassador for the sport, as has Julie Moss, but it was Julie that got the tens of thousands off their couches and into the local bike shops.

Julie Moss is more DIRECTLY responsible. Kathleen McCartney is the one making Julie Moss work hard enough to collapse, so - indirect.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Possibly THE best celebrity at Kona thread, if you need an afternoon laugh.

This was fantastic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Kathleen McCartney

Quote:
Christina Hopper - F-16 pilot who was the first African-American fighter pilot to fly in combat

First FEMALE African American fighter pilot maybe?

Yes. Thanks for catching that. My brain thought it, but I didn't type it.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zac Efron's brother ?

Was pretty funny on insta when Zac said his brother 'qualified for the finals of triathlon'

Triathlon Aust Performance Coach
Certified Sports Nutritionist
Retul Bike Fitter
Coffee Lover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Kathleen McCartney

Quote:
Christina Hopper - F-16 pilot who was the first African-American fighter pilot to fly in combat

Unless she's like 120 years old. Obviously you had folks like the Tuskegee Airmen in WWII. Maybe even earlier?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Kathleen McCartney

Quote:

Has to be.

I'm still waiting for the first Viper pilot named Betty. That will be hilarious. Bet I know what her call sign would be.

She could call me "Al"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Kevin in MD wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Kathleen McCartney

Quote:

Unless she's like 120 years old. Obviously you had folks like the Tuskegee Airmen in WWII. Maybe even earlier?

She is the first female African American fighter pilot to fly in war.

She swam at U of T and will swim under an hour tomorrow. Her sister, Indira, qualified at Boulder, also swam at U of T.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not funny, but accurate research? Someone hacked Mark's account!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha.

I only know because they both live in Tulsa where I live and my girlfriend coaches them. Have swam with Indy a few times. I use that term loosely.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's cool. Did they do distance in college? I assume collegiate sprinters still do decent distance. I wonder how different that transition is for them.

As a guy who teaches and coaches a bit at a diverse school, I think it is awesome when kids have a Serena, Tiger, Simone, Jeremy Lin, etc.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great tribute video from Ben Bostrom on Dave Mirra (sweet looking bike too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l6egVgSbZ4
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [doughavlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did John Joseph end up racing ?
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
Did John Joseph end up racing ?

Yes. Bib #681.
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:

He ripped past me towards the end of the bike. A lot of the motorsport guys are legit.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Oct 15, 16 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Celebrities racing Kona? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
hubcaps wrote:

He ripped past me towards the end of the bike. A lot of the motorsport guys are legit.

We ran the last mile together and had a great time, finding out we both qualified at CdA. Easy going guy. Didnt recognize he was a celeb though!

Roberto
Quote Reply

Prev Next