Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races
Quote | Reply
I received a penalty for having the front panel unzipped during the run at Augusta on Sunday. It was a stop and go penalty but a penalty nonetheless.

Supposedly it violates this rule in the Ironman Competition Rules:
Article VI. RUN CONDUCT
Section 6.01 GENERAL
(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sportā€top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (Stopā€andā€Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

It's not an entirely bare torso when the front panel is completely unzipped and I was wearing a shirt, jersey, or sport-top at all times during the run segment so I felt it was a little nitpicky, especially since it was 95 degrees out. I don't think the call was technically correct or within the spirit of the rule.

Just letting people know that happened so they're aware how the rule is being enforced.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have it completely unzipped or just partially?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely at the time of said penalty.

Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok that's what I figured. I actually thought about this exact scenario when I first got the suit. I had a feeling this might happen. Thanks for the info.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Ok that's what I figured. I actually thought about this exact scenario when I first got the suit. I had a feeling this might happen. Thanks for the info.

I knew the rule going in but my $.02 is that it doesn't strictly violate the rule. The rule is in place for the folks that don't wear shirts at all. This suit unzipped is firmly in the gray area and judgment call arena but not 100% black and white either way. I wasn't going to have a semantical debate with the head ref in the midst of the race. I did tell him I didn't think it violated the rule, he obviously felt differently. I just thought it was a nitpicky call.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought about this as well, like you assumed kinda assumed it was in place to keep people running with no shirt at all. Good to be aware of, thanks for heads up.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like your $0.02 is completely reasonable, but thanks for the PSA. This is also applicable to anyone who has the separating front sleeved tri suits, like the new Roka suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMMT they said rule of thumb is no nipples. I kept it 3/4 unzipped.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [glucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glucky wrote:
At IMMT they said rule of thumb is no nipples. I kept it 3/4 unzipped.

Yeah, that's what the ref told me as well. I kept it 3/4 unzipped the rest of the way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip, especially since I'm looking at this suit, what a lame penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WIth that in mind, I figured it would be a violation. It was my only hesitation in buying the suit. I bought it anyways and once I zipped the suit up, I put a safety pin across the zipper just above the bottom. On the run, I zipped it all the way down to that so that the shirt stayed partially closed. Same race (augusta), no penalty. Just an idea for next time.

http://triathletelife.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU doesn't even allow partial front unzip (from what I remember), but rear zip is fine.

Make tri suits rear zip... problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
ITU doesn't even allow partial front unzip (from what I remember), but rear zip is fine.

Except penises are in the front.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha
The GMAN wrote:
I received a penalty for having the front panel unzipped during the run at Augusta on Sunday. It was a stop and go penalty but a penalty nonetheless.

Supposedly it violates this rule in the Ironman Competition Rules:
Article VI. RUN CONDUCT
Section 6.01 GENERAL
(d) Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sportā€top at all times during the run segment of the Race; (Stopā€andā€Go Time Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)

It's not an entirely bare torso when the front panel is completely unzipped and I was wearing a shirt, jersey, or sport-top at all times during the run segment so I felt it was a little nitpicky, especially since it was 95 degrees out. I don't think the call was technically correct or within the spirit of the rule.

Just letting people know that happened so they're aware how the rule is being enforced.

I have also been told the rule of thumb is 'no nipples'

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA for Kiwami Spider LD Aero Trisuit users and WTC races [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

You can use a sleeved tri suit with a front zipper just fine. Don't unzip it all the way. I have an ITU style suit with a rear zipper. It's fine for short course but not good for half-ironman.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Except penises are in the front.

Leave the overlapping fabric front opening like in a front zip suit. Pull down and go.
For #2, or women, the top has to come off either way.

Or just pee in your suit. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just piss yourself, what's wrong with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you didn't meant it this way, but to be fair this issue is not unique to the Kiwami LD Spider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "effective rule" seems to be no nipples ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...pples%20top#p5684182 ).

The enforcement seems to be somewhat arbitrary. Based on a literal reading of the rule an unzipped jersey is ok.

It would really be great if Jimmy would clarify.....and they would clarify the rule text.

Based on the "no nipples" rule Mankini from The Soup (below) is compliant.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply