Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because we have people like Obama running the country and people like Hillary representing half the county.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Because we have people like Obama running the country and people like Hillary representing half the county.

Oh for fuck's sake. Now it is Obama's fault we are in the UN? He probably shouldn't have gotten us into Vietnam either.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet we end up paying reparations within the next 20 years. That's what white privilege, black lives matter, and "let's have a conversation about race" are all about. Our kids are being taught the required levels of white guilt. There's already an adult minority clamoring for it now. It's only a matter of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He certainly isn't addressing the anti-american rhetoric that is so common there. We could quickly fix a lot of those problems by withholding funds, not grating immunity to hostile nations, etc.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Do you seriously not see the difference between a negotiated treaty between victor and loser of a war and a corrupt kleptocracy dictating to the world's lone superpower that it needs to pay its own citizens for acts that happened more than a century for and its own citizens died to end?

Did you seriously not see that he wasn't the one who first made that comparison?

I know you've got your panties in a bunch over the UN, but it still helps to read carefully before you shit on someone.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Oh for fuck's sake. Now it is Obama's fault we are in the UN? He probably shouldn't have gotten us into Vietnam either.

Yeah, that's some special kind of stupid--even for Forgey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Do you seriously not see the difference between a negotiated treaty between victor and loser of a war and a corrupt kleptocracy dictating to the world's lone superpower that it needs to pay its own citizens for acts that happened more than a century for and its own citizens died to end?

And by "corrupt kleptocracy dictating to the world's lone superpower," you mean a working group that has absolutely no authority to implement its recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
TheForge wrote:

And by "corrupt kleptocracy dictating to the world's lone superpower," you mean a working group that has absolutely no authority to implement its recommendations?

Forge isn't known for his ability to handle subtlety or fine distinction. The working group didn't dictate anything to the US. They didn't say we need to do anything. However, the mockrage has to stay fed somehow, so he'll go ahead and ratchet things up until they don't actually resemble reality.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh for fuck's sake. Now it is Obama's fault we are in the UN?

Don't be silly.

It's Obama and Hilary's fault.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He certainly isn't addressing the anti-american rhetoric that is so common there. We could quickly fix a lot of those problems by withholding funds, not grating immunity to hostile nations, etc.

The U.S has almost always been in arrears for their payments. Way back in the mid-1980's, you refused paying 20% of dues and were in arrears for the next 15+ years. After 9/11, the Bush administration caught up on the dues.

Thanks Bush !!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Lets make America great again!

Dude, where have you been?
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets make America great again!

Dude, where have you been?

Yeah, I've missed his thoughtful posts too...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about post count!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the tri forum making ironman great again.

Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
The people this happened to are dead. The people who did this are dead. How many generations are going to blame stuff like this as reasons why they can't pull their finger out of their ass and get on with life?

Present day people can't be held liable for actions of generations past. Let's keep pointing fingers at the Germans whilst we are at it.

Your privilege has clearly gone unchecked!

I'm just tired of the whole "oppressed" thing. Yes certain races were oppressed in years gone by. Most aren't now. There aren't those limitations that existed previously. Blacks can achieve greatness in the same light as whites if they want it and work for it. Be it business, politics, sport or arts. For a so-called racist country like the USA, the likes of Serena Williams, Lebron, Will Smith, Dr Dre and Obama have done alright for themselves in a "white man's world". Indeed the lions share of the billions paid in sports like basketball and football appears to go to blacks. Pretty rich for these types to be crying poor.

Current generations need to stop citing sins of a bygone era as reasons they can't get ahead today.
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do reparations work? Reverse of the 1 drop rule? Need a certain percentage? hows thay determined? What about west Indian immigrants? What about African Immigrants? what about descendants of free Africans the immigrated pre-civil war and we're never slaves?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
burnman wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
The people this happened to are dead. The people who did this are dead. How many generations are going to blame stuff like this as reasons why they can't pull their finger out of their ass and get on with life?

Present day people can't be held liable for actions of generations past. Let's keep pointing fingers at the Germans whilst we are at it.

Your privilege has clearly gone unchecked!

I'm just tired of the whole "oppressed" thing. Yes certain races were oppressed in years gone by. Most aren't now. There aren't those limitations that existed previously. Blacks can achieve greatness in the same light as whites if they want it and work for it. Be it business, politics, sport or arts. For a so-called racist country like the USA, the likes of Serena Williams, Lebron, Will Smith, Dr Dre and Obama have done alright for themselves in a "white man's world". Indeed the lions share of the billions paid in sports like basketball and football appears to go to blacks. Pretty rich for these types to be crying poor.

Current generations need to stop citing sins of a bygone era as reasons they can't get ahead today.

First note that I am NOT in favor of reparations for slavery.

But the argument is that slavery deprived slaves and their ancestors of wealth while enriching other races. That deprivation of wealth ripples down through history and continues to be a factor in the poverty seen in African-American communities.

I think this ignores the massive waves of immigration that came after the civil war and the fact that a huge number of those immigrants brought zero wealth with them.

It would make more sense to argue for reparations for the institutionalized discrimination seen well into the 2nd half of the 20th century. Still not persuasive to me for financial reparations but makes more sense than slavery reparations.

But is also hard to ignore that in my lifetime there was widespread discrimination and that the National Guard was called out to keep blacks who are still of working age out of some schools. If this sort of thing had happened to Trump and his father for instance, would there have been millions of dollars to loan and bequeath?

Not sure what the answer is, but it is something that still has affects today.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Crap like this is exactly why the UN is fucked. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They'll have to prove who they are and that they are descendants of slave? Oh, that right, requiring ID is racist. Or we'll find out how quickly they can get ID and family trees.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American people lent the Rockefellers $81 million dollars to build the UN.

Rockefeller's initially wanted the UN built on one of their estates in Manhattan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
They'll have to prove who they are and that they are descendants of slave? Oh, that right, requiring ID is racist. Or we'll find out how quickly they can get ID and family trees.

your outrage at a situation that exists entirely in your own head is remarkable.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Africans were brought to the colonies by the Dutch. I think they (and the Brits and Spanish and Portuguese) owe reparations. Better yet, Africans were sold to the Dutch and English and Spanish and Portuguese by other Africans. I think African countries owe reparations.

Scholars estimate that nearly half the whites who came to North America in the 17th and 18th centuries came as indentured servants. Not exactly the same as slaves, but pretty close. I guess there's a lot of whites who are owed reparations as well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand the comment about wealth rippling down, but that's surely only applicable to very few, select white lineages.

There's tens of thousands of white families where almost no wealth has been passed down. How are they any better off than their black counterparts?

I know next to nothing about black history in your country. Were they all brought from Africa in the day? If so, then would you not point out that in general they're doing better than their ancestors in Africa and that being brought to America as slaves left their descendants in a much better position? That's not me trying to be a smart arse either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I understand the comment about wealth rippling down, but that's surely only applicable to very few, select white lineages.

There's tens of thousands of white families where almost no wealth has been passed down. How are they any better off than their black counterparts?

Poverty is not limited to any race. I grew up extremely impoverished. My father died impoverished. Race wasn't a factor. Slavery neither caused nor mitigated our poverty. The great depression was a huge contributor to his lack of education which was the dominant factor in our poverty.

Quote:
I know next to nothing about black history in your country. Were they all brought from Africa in the day? If so, then would you not point out that in general they're doing better than their ancestors in Africa and that being brought to America as slaves left their descendants in a much better position? That's not me trying to be a smart arse either.

Weak assed argument to rationalize something horrific.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Sep 29, 16 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They already get reparations. It is now called "TANF" and unlike their ancestors, they now get everything handed to them and they don't even have to do any work for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next