Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [PM City] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am aPowertap G3 user, so I expect mine to last until I get a disc bike. At that point I am screwed! Geez I wish the Brimm Brothers pedals had come out on time.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PowerTap lasted six years and about 20-25K miles. I rode it in the rain, also used it for cyclocross, and didn't baby it at all. I replaced the bearings once. It just died a couple months ago. I was going to repair it but saw the GS hubs on sale for $299 and just decided to go new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have one powertap that has well over 30k miles and still working great. Granted, I have taken it apart every single season to clean it and relube all surfaces. Bearings was replaced as well, but it's still as accurate as it was day one.

We have a total of 5 Quarq's that all. One failed (was the first model they released) but was replaced under warranty. The other 4 are still working great.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had an SRM for pretty much exactly 4 years to the day. It is threads like this that make me glad now it's all paid for that I went the extra. It has not skipped a beat in those four years, and I have ridden it all year round through the British Winter, up and down cols, through Ironmans etc etc. I don't have an exact figure as to what distance I have put on it, but it must be in excess of 25,000 kms I would have thought by now.

As for the battery, still on the original. It is recommended I think to change it out every year, but I haven't and it's still going strong. I keep thinking it must be due for a swap out soon, but it is like the cockroach of the powermeter world, this thing just simply will not die!

In contrast, I brought my GF a stages 105 last year and it worked for about 2 months before crapping out. Haven't been able to get the thing to come to life since. Reminds me actually, should probably get that back before the warranty runs out next month...
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I have a SRM that is just over 5 years old (on my P5) and another that is around 7 years old (on my road bike) and both have worked fine over the years. The only issue is the stickers are bit scratched up. For reference, I ride about 12,000-13,000 KMs per year ad have sent them into SRM for batteries/maintenance every 18 months to 2 years.

If you can afford the SRM, I don't think you can go wrong there. The battery replacement is kind of a drag, but at least a full preventative service is done every year or two to ensure the PM works for a very long time. Not a bad trade off, IMO.

Jack

Do they do a full service or just a battery replacement? If so, that probably has a lot to do with why they last so long. Especially since you 'have' to send it in every once in a while
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do a thorough check of the strain gauges, wiring and that it is watertight, along with a few other checks.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Just talked to the folks at Quarq. I am pretty much licked. I bought the unit in 2012 and that is 2 generations ago for the meter so it isn't possible for it to be fixed at all. So I am either buying brand new (with a discount) or going on my own merry way. I am choosing to go elsewhere. I just can't get past the fact that the unit itself didn't last over 1000kms in 4 years. Guess I will start saving my money and looking for something else.
Thanks for the responses everyone!
Mark

How much of a discount are they offering you? Perhaps there's someone who wants to buy a new Quarq that would be willing to split the discount with you.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Over 60, 000 km on my Power2max classic on rotor 3d+. Only ever needed a battery.

Exactly what I have. Not done 60k on it yet, but I've had it for 3 years so far (purchased lightly used off ebay). I have no idea how long the battery would last, as I change it before my annual 'A Race' just to be sure!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well as of today i can say my quarq made it 2 yrs to the week almost. Last 4 weeks I its been dropping power, over or under reporting it, finally took it into LBS. Guy in service told me 2 yrs zero issues is pretty damn good and he thought its more about how company handles it when there are issues.
Called Quarq today and they made it about as simple as ever, got numbers off my Elsa RS and they are shipping new one out to Kona for me. A+ for quarq customer service.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a powertap I bought used in 2013 and I think it was at least 2 years old at that time. I have had to have the wheel rebuilt but the PT is fine. I ride it on every ride 4-5 times a week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conversations like this are the reason why I don't own either a powermeter or a smart trainer. I simply can't stomach the disposable nature of products these days. I had a zipper break on a seldom-used 2y old rain jacket last week and I requested (and received) a warranty replacement from the store. I'd be gutted to be stuck with a $1k+ useless product.

I currently use a wired Powertap (free, long term loan) and a >15y old Magura trainer (hand me down in 2003). I think the trainer might finally be broken though. Thanks for talking me out of spending $$ on a smart trainer. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two Quarq Rikens that are about 3 years old. Both have worked flawlessly. I replace batteries - cheap and easy to do - and that's about it. I'm expecting them to last for many years to come.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [JackL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackL wrote:
M~ wrote:
rijndael wrote:
None of my Quarq units have made it to the end of the 2 year warranty without getting replaced.

IMO, their usable life is shorter than others.

This is what I am completely not interested in doing.

Damn! I have a 3yr old quarq red that is also lightly used, and stopped working at the most inopportune times, e.g the morning of my last IM despite working all that week.

Month or so ago, repeated low battery warning s. Put new ones in (3) they immediately read low battery and stop working after less than 5 minutes.

So, was,am intending to finally bring it back to LBS - but reading these tales of woe and being in Ireland makes me think I'll be saying goodbye forever to it. ...

So.. I finally returned the bike and good news! Even though it was out of warranty quarq replaced the unit. I have it back and it's working great!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had a powertap make it through a full season. On my fourth one now. Relegated to the TT bike to try to extend its life.

Have the c1 and it's 8 months strong. Hoping it continues.

Have a 10 or 15 or however old SRM V that I could probably run over with a train and it'd keep trucking along.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
Have a 10 or 15 or however old SRM V that I could probably run over with a train and it'd keep trucking along.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Id expect better, but hard to fault a company for not warranting their product after 6 years. It's a loong time

I have 15k miles on my Vectors and they have had one issue which was promptly taken care of. Been pretty solid for me

My original type Vectors have had nothing besides batteries. Very happy with them and would buy them again. Rain doesn't seem to affect them.

Surprised by Quark, I had always thought they were meant to be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first SRM is 13 years old and a friend is still using it. I have two DA SRMs from 2005 and 2006 (with PCV) that are still going strong. My Powertap G3 I bought a bit over a year ago went through two sets of bearings within 9 months and is now in the bin as the 3rd set was going. Back to Rotor SRM with a PC8 and it's been flawless for past 8 months.

My only other experience with Cyclops was there Powerbeam trainer which never worked even with a new resistance unit. Never one of their products ever again.

Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:
I have a SRM that is just over 5 years old (on my P5) and another that is around 7 years old (on my road bike) and both have worked fine over the years. The only issue is the stickers are bit scratched up. For reference, I ride about 12,000-13,000 KMs per year ad have sent them into SRM for batteries/maintenance every 18 months to 2 years.

If you can afford the SRM, I don't think you can go wrong there. The battery replacement is kind of a drag, but at least a full preventative service is done every year or two to ensure the PM works for a very long time. Not a bad trade off, IMO.

Jack

Do they do a full service or just a battery replacement? If so, that probably has a lot to do with why they last so long. Especially since you 'have' to send it in every once in a while

i know your post is from a couple months ago, but this thread just got bumped and i noticed it. i figured i'd correct the misinformation/misperception:

SRMs solid since 2012 (and possibly a bit earlier) all have longer battery life. it used to be that one could expect about a year or 2 from their battery; thus, the need to send it in and have it checked out while the battery was being replaced.

however, they beefed up the battery life quite a bit -- up to 3,000 training hours.

sure, people who own older units still send theirs in every year or two, but every units sold these days has a much longer service life. the shimano DA units, for example, only need to be sent in every four years if you are riding 60+ hours a month, 12 months a year.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just had to return an 18 month old Powertap G3 under warranty for torque tube/bearing/freehub replacement.
Wheel gets used about 10 hrs a week with 95% on the turbo.
Bit disappointed it needed to have this done (but now happy it's pretty much a new hub) but have to say the service and turnaround by Cyclepowermeters in the UK was outstanding.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [JackL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackL wrote:
JackL wrote:
M~ wrote:
rijndael wrote:
None of my Quarq units have made it to the end of the 2 year warranty without getting replaced.

IMO, their usable life is shorter than others.

This is what I am completely not interested in doing.

Damn! I have a 3yr old quarq red that is also lightly used, and stopped working at the most inopportune times, e.g the morning of my last IM despite working all that week.

Month or so ago, repeated low battery warning s. Put new ones in (3) they immediately read low battery and stop working after less than 5 minutes.

So, was,am intending to finally bring it back to LBS - but reading these tales of woe and being in Ireland makes me think I'll be saying goodbye forever to it. ...

So.. I finally returned the bike and good news! Even though it was out of warranty quarq replaced the unit. I have it back and it's working great!!!

That is the only thing keeping quarq viable, phenomenal customer service. I have been through three units, but always fixed or replaced expediently free of charge. I do think quarq is getting better, my newer unit has 2 flawless years so far. I am going to give the new d zero a try.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do you expect your powermeter to last? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
rubik wrote:

+1
My oldest SRM (Track unit +PCV) is now 14 years young and works perfectly well and is still serviceable if/when required. My "youngest" SRM (+PC6) is 7 years on and works just fine as well. I have 2 others in between these ages and they work just fine as well although haven't seen much action recently. When the man cave is finished then the trainer will be set up and one of them will see more service.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply

Prev Next