Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet?
Quote | Reply
Most reviews I've read are 50/50.

If you're a fan of the 1960 version, is this remake worth $10 to see? Or is it best left for Netflix?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked it. but I wasn't expecting a masterpiece either.

If this was going to be the one movie I was looking forward to seeing or was making a big deal for a night out , then it wouldn't have met those expectations. Going to the theater with a bar and enjoying a whisky while watching a western on a lazy sunday afternoon. It was worth it. My drink cost more than the movie ticket so I'm not thinking return on investment for a movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

If you're a fan of the 1960 version, is this remake worth $10 to see? Or is it best left for Netflix?

I enjoyed it. It's been years since I saw the original, or Seven Samurai, so I'd hesitate to compare them with regard to better or worse. This is a more modern style Western. The plot has been changed around some, but the basic idea remains the same. I thought the movie looked good, the action was fun, the actors did a good job overall, in general, a good time at the movies. I liked seeing it on the big screen, but then again, I tend to go to a lot of movies. Some people will wait to see everything on cable or Netflix/Amazon.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys. My 12/y/o son wants to see it, I suppose it'll be worth taking him. Of course I'll make him watch the original version first!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's tough to compare the older movies, to now. I"m old enough to have seen the "originals" but with the modern equipment and tech. It's usually more visually pleasing to watch the newer movies. Of course acting doesn't always improve with each generation of the the new stars. And for some movies the cute lines just to make a joke and a waste to me, but I know a lot of people like it
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I enjoyed it. It's been years since I saw the original, or Seven Samurai, so I'd hesitate to compare them with regard to better or worse. This is a more modern style Western. The plot has been changed around some, but the basic idea remains the same. I thought the movie looked good, the action was fun, the actors did a good job overall, in general, a good time at the movies. I liked seeing it on the big screen, but then again, I tend to go to a lot of movies. Some people will wait to see everything on cable or Netflix/Amazon.

^^This.

The American Hero's Channel will be showing the original one this Saturday at 8:00

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really love westerns, especially classics like the Magnificent 7, High Noon, Rio Bravo.
I thought Fuqua did a great job with this remake. It was very much an 'old style' western, with a touch of humor.
And I liked the couple of winks to the original version, e.g. the music at the end, the joke about so far so good.

Waiting for a slowguy review.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
mck414 wrote:

D'Kid wants to see the new one as she a is a Chris Pratt fan, and liked Denzel in The Equalizer

I told her she should see the original first "Because that's where I got 'When it's time to shoot, shoot. Don't talk' from'"

"Wait?"
she gasped "You stole that from a movie? I thought you made it up, yourself ... My childhood is a lie"

You'd be surprised how often that comes into play, once you hear it, from Harry Potter to Hunger Games, to Batman and Marvel movies

"See ... he should have shot him, and not talked"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
slowguy wrote:
mck414 wrote:

D'Kid wants to see the new one as she a is a Chris Pratt fan, and liked Denzel in The Equalizer

I told her she should see the original first "Because that's where I got 'When it's time to shoot, shoot. Don't talk' from'"

"Wait?"
she gasped "You stole that from a movie? I thought you made it up, yourself ... My childhood is a lie"

You'd be surprised how often that comes into play, once you hear it, from Harry Potter to Hunger Games, to Batman and Marvel movies

That's from The Good The Bad and the Ugly (which is even better than M7)

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
RandMart wrote:

"Wait?"

That's from The Good The Bad and the Ugly (which is even better than M7)

Dammit!
Got my Eli Wallach's confused!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone catch the Magnificent 7 yet? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all good. That's my all time favorite movie and movie quote. Mrs. McK414 even bought me a movie poster signed by Clint, Eli, and Lee.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah its pretty good, I like the older films better but it gives it a new world twist with all the graphics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As good as "Magnificent Seven" is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DPKWGH9yc

I prefer "Radio Clash"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0MnQft85M

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. My 12/y/o son wants to see it, I suppose it'll be worth taking him. Of course I'll make him watch the original version first!

I took my 12 year old son to see it yesterday. We both really enjoyed it and now he is curious to see the original. And nothing really objectionable in it from a parent's point of view (aside from all the shooting, although there isn't anything gory).
Quote Reply