Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wish my daughter could find someone like this guy [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe she already knows him. :-( Actually she does have a boyfriend at the moment and he is like her at the moment, trying to make a career change, but with him from a online writer/editor into IT sales.
Quote Reply
Re: Wish my daughter could find someone like this guy [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
tigerchik wrote:
This thread needs pics.

He was a nice looking guy. I can't imagine that he would have any problems getting girlfriends. He was wearing a NASA shirt, but I don't know if that means anything.

Gay
Mean.

Quote | Reply
I married a man like that!! He's amazing!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Wish my daughter could find someone like this guy [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to be this guy. Until recently, I didn't know how to say "no" when someone needed help and got myself into some awkward and potentially dangerous situations when stopping to help strangers. The upside is a caring, helpful, compassionate persona that bends over backward to help people and be a person who seeks to make the world better in the little ways one can. The downside is realizing that it can lead me to lose track of time and space because of getting caught up in helping someone or over-committing myself to a cause that's not my family...or I do so much that I burn out and become exhausted personally but still don't know when to step back. I've learned to say "no" a lot more and find balance, but it takes intentional focus. It is a quality that I really like about myself, because I'm faithful and reliable as hell & it doesn't matter if it's a friend, family, or a stranger, I want to help make small differences to help people rather than a big difference that puts any spotlight on me. As much as possible, it's done completely anonymously.

I'll never forget the time I stopped on the way home from a camping trip out east to pick up a senior citizen, hitchhiking homeless lady; she needed a ride two hours away, happened to be in the direction I was going, and I found out that she could hardly see and needed new contacts. I was going to purchase them for her, but the dangerous side of her bipolarity emerged when we stopped, she became really threatening to me and the people at the eye doctor's office, and got her stuff from my car and bolted in fear for my safety. That should have been enough to make me be a little more discerning about just jumping in, but that's been 13 years ago and I've just recently gotten a little smarter.

It's still something I'd never change. I'd rather be that guy and do anything possible to leave the world a little bit better than the alternative.

rick_pcfl wrote:
Met a really impressive young man today. If I were to guess, I'd say he was in his mid 20's to early 30s. I was hiking Mount Quandary (my first 14er) near Brekenridge, CO. I just kind of stumbled on it, so I got a late start (1:15). On my way up, I passed a family that was moving slowly, but steadily. They had a girl who was probably 10-11, she was a trooper but slow.

I reached the peak around 4:45, took some photos and drank some water and ate a quick snack because I was a bit concerned about daylight fading. The last half of the climb was tricky as there were a lot of rocks, I passed the family on my way down - they were still making their way up. I looked down the trail and saw a guy running in spots where the rocks weren't too bad. We spoke when we passed.

Just as I was getting back into the treeline - maybe an 1:15 to 1:30 after leaving the summit - I heard someone behind me. It was him. He had already reached the peak and was coming back down quickly. I was shocked that someone could summit that quickly and then pass me on the way down. We spoke again and I let him pass. Further down the way, I approached a group of people talking and he was walking with them. We mentioned the family and expressed concern for them as the light was fading. One lady in the group said that she tried to talk them into turning around because of the fading light - but they were determined to keep going.

I passed them and kept on walking as I had a 2 hour drive ahead of me. As I was descending, I was thinking about the family and considered going to my vehicle to get flashlights and heading back up to make sure they got out okay. A few minutes later, the guy passed me again and we talked about the family. He said that he was going to his car to get some flashlights and was going to run back up to make sure they made it through the rocky area.

He mentioned that he was out of water, so I gave him a bottle that I had. He was so grateful and made a big deal out of it. I told him that what he was doing was awesome and giving him water was nothing. I met him in the parking lot as he was headed back up. I offered to give him a flashlight and batteries, but he said that he had two that were good to go. I knew I couldn't keep up with him, so I wished him well and thanked him for what he was doing.

This young guy impressed me in a number of areas. His fitness was amazing. He cared about this family of strangers and was grateful for a simple bottle of water. It is always refreshing to meet someone who is a genuinely good person.
Quote Reply

Prev Next