Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Arnold Palmer
Quote | Reply
Of all the celebs I have photographed over the years, Arnold Palmer was the most kind and most fun to be around. You will be missed!
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP, Arnie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing on ESPN.com or CNN.com??

RIP
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J-No wrote:
Nothing on ESPN.com or CNN.com??

RIP

Must have just been announced by the family. They just mentioned it during the football game.

Sad day for golf fans.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw it on ESPN.com.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was a class act, and there will never be another like him.
Sad day, and not just for golf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad stuff!

Just to tie into the estate tax thread...

Spent a lifetime building his brand and business, built a massive net worth of $675,000,000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we first moved to central Florida I took my wife to an Italian restaurant in dr Phillips neighborhood called Carrera's. It was a place I used to frequent when I travelled there on business. A tiny intimidate restaurant. My wife went to the restroom and I turned my head and there he was eating at the next table just like any other guy. Apparently a regularly there. Wife came back and I said that told her in here ear who was sitting next to us. She has no idea. So I pointed to an Arnold Palmer classic poster on the wall. She soon realized his name is on everything in Orlando.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, the death of a legend. This appears to have been sudden as the article I read at ESPN quoted Jack that he was shocked at the news. He had just spoken to him on his birthday Sept 10th and he sounded fine. At least he didn't decline and suffer. He lived a great life.

I can't think of anyone in the public eye that I've heard more sincere respect and admiration from those that knew him. I'm sure we'll hear a lot of that in the next few days.

RIP Arnie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've lost three men who were the pinnacle of their respective sports this year between Muhammad Ali, Gordie Howe and now Arnold Palmer. RIP to a true legend.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
When we first moved to central Florida I took my wife to an Italian restaurant in dr Phillips neighborhood called Carrera's. It was a place I used to frequent when I travelled there on business. A tiny intimidate restaurant. My wife went to the restroom and I turned my head and there he was eating at the next table just like any other guy. Apparently a regularly there. Wife came back and I said that told her in here ear who was sitting next to us. She has no idea. So I pointed to an Arnold Palmer classic poster on the wall. She soon realized his name is on everything in Orlando.

In Latrobe too. He will be greatly missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Latrobe and my mother was a native. She and Arnie were a few years apart in high school. She taught him how to swim; his father paid her in golf lessons. She always said Arnie never drowned but she never became a good golfer. When I was about 10 I got my first golf lessons from Arnie's father at the Latrobe CC.

John F. Martin, Jr.
+1 (614) 403-0567
jfm225@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was a tough sports day.

First the news about Jose Fernandez. Don't think anything was posted here about him, but it's a tragedy on so many levels...only 24, already on the verge of superstardom and certainly a phenomenal talent, with an exuberance and joy for the game that was infectious. Add that his Cuban heritage, the story of him defecting and what that took and what he meant to so many in Miami (and beyond)...just such a stunner.

Then, late in the day, we get the news about Arnie. A supreme talent that always carried himself with dignity and class. By all accounts an exceptional human being any way you care to define that.

As an aside from all that, Vin Scully broadcast his last game at Dodger Stadium.

What a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad news.

I'm sure there are a lot of nice and good celebrities we never hear about but I've had a soft spot for Arnie for a number of years.

Due to numerous surgeries on his knee my did walked with a limp and a cane from his mid 50s until his death a few years ago. At a golf tournament in the late 80s both Arnold and Jack went up to him and chatted with him during the tournament. Cracks like "I might need to borrow your cane to make it to the back 9." Well, a few years later at a tournament in Arizona Arnold walked by and did a double take then backed up and held out his hand to my dad and said something along the lines of "hey, glad to see you're still walking the links with us old-timers." and they chatted a bit all during the tournament. My dad was walking without a limp the rest of the afternoon. Was quite special.

RIP Arnie
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Arnold Palmer [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike C wrote:
First the news about Jose Fernandez. Don't think anything was posted here about him, but it's a tragedy on so many levels...only 24, already on the verge of superstardom and certainly a phenomenal talent, with an exuberance and joy for the game that was infectious. Add that his Cuban heritage, the story of him defecting and what that took and what he meant to so many in Miami (and beyond)...just such a stunner.

I don't follow baseball much at all, but I happened to catch this replay from the Marlins first game since losing Fernandez. The leadoff batter Dee Gordon, whose stat sheet includes 8 career HR's and 0 this year, hits one out of the park on the third pitch. Rounds the base in tears, super emotional. A gained a bunch of respect for Bartolo Colon. I'm guessing he purposefully threw two balls to make it a hitters count before throwing a meatball down the middle of the plate to help try and give the Marlins that emotional moment.

Replay:
https://streamable.com/xq35

Matt
Quote Reply