Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training.
Quote | Reply
Here is my background. I have been doing triathlons for about four years now, and have some three HIM, including Savageman 70 last year. I ride 100-150 miles a week and have no problem knocking out a century on my road bike.

Here is my problem with my training. I have no place flat to ride. It was easier to train for Savageman because I was close enough to preride the course a few times, and I found that my road biking buddies loved the course and wanted to do training rides with me.

The IM that I am registered for is B2B, so it is flat. I used that as an excuse to buy a tri bike. In May, I used the bike for a HIM on rolling hills and flat roads. To train for it, I rode on a gravel rail trail. This time of year though, the rail trail is covered with leaves, nuts, twigs, and whatever else the trees throw on the ground, making it too dangerous on a tri bike. I have managed to cobble together a paved 45 mile route with 1900' of climbing, but that is the flattest thing I can find for training. The problem is trying to hold an aero position for long. Even on that route, I sit up every few miles when I go up a hill with too much of a grade.

How do I train myself to hold an aero position for 6 or so hours when I can't ride more than 15 minutes at a stretch in training without having to sit up? Is it too late? Am I going to spend the entire race sitting upright on my tri bike because I never learned to hold the aero position?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhhh..... Maybe a trainer? Are you trolling???
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're way overthinking this If you sit up for a few seconds every 15 minutes you will be aero more than 90% of the field. Go race and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
You're way overthinking this If you sit up for a few seconds every 15 minutes you will be aero more than 90% of the field. Go race and have fun.

Seriously? People aren't tucked in the whole time? It is rare that I see people riding aero around here, so I don't know. I was wondering about setting the bike up on the trainer and just hopping on for 30 minutes a few times a week. I figure it is like when I am training for something hilly--I can slip in a short hill repeat workout without leaving the neighborhood (the neighbors might think I'm crazy by this time). As long as I don't burn my legs out, would a couple added short sessions help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:

Seriously? People aren't tucked in the whole time?

Are you doing a race without corners...or bike traffic...or aid stations?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

Seriously? People aren't tucked in the whole time?

Are you doing a race without corners...or bike traffic...or aid stations?
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. That does make me feel better. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last 30-50km half of the field will be out of aero :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you get out of aero every 15 miles when you take a handup. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have a trainer? I would focus all your shorter rides on the trainer (keep 1 ride a week outside).

Focus on keeping aero for longer durations. You're not screwed but you will definitely not be aero as long as you should. In addition, a common issue for "flat" races is you will not be used to pedaling for 5+ hours straight. Hill rides give you a break on the downhill. No such break on a flat course.

Trainer rides will be your friend these last 4 weeks. You shouldnt be spending much time above FTP either so just focus on consistent time in aero near IM effort. Start with what you can handle...say 5 mins in aero and 30 seconds up for an hour. Then try to get the aero intervals longer and longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd spend some time on the trainer, in aero, if I were you. I ride my tri bike 100% of the time, year in, year out. I can probably hold aero, in an Ironman, longer that 3/4 of the field. I always spend the first few weeks of the season with stiffness in my neck. It usually goes away after about 3 weeks. I think you need to train your neck to be in that position for an extended amount of time or you're going to be hurting.

Quote | Reply
Ok. So it sounds like more trainer time is what I need. This week is as good as any to start-- the days are getting short, and we are supposed to have a few days of rain. My Netflix account is going to get some use. The last season of Person of Interest just came out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP B2B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're all good bro just quit your bitching and stay in the bars
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a bro. I'm a middle aged woman with the upper body strength to match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, do some trainer rides and stay glued to those aero bars. I would include some longer rides too, not just short rides. I've done up to 3 hours on the trainer without breaking from the aero position once. It takes some training to get that point, but it's worth it on race day when you can still hold that position comfortably late in the race.

Another thing you're probably not getting on your hilly routes that you'll have to deal with on a flat course is constant pedaling. Flat courses can be tough because they're relentless. You're glued to the aerobars pedaling the whole time with almost no opportunities to coast, sit up, etc. That takes training and the trainer is the best way to simulate that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Not a bro. I'm a middle aged woman with the upper body strength to match.
my most humble apologies thy fair maiden.. shall I compare thee to a summer's day? thou art more lovely and more temperate: by thy eternal summer shall not fade, hot the eye of heaven shines, so long as men can breathe or eyes can see, so long lives this and this gives life to thee. i bid thee good day m'lady
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The relentless factor really concerns me. The flattest HIM that I have done had about 1700' of climbing. I did it on my road bike, in the drops for most of it. The small climbs were a relief because I could use different muscles and maybe even stand up and stretch my back for a few seconds.
Someone advised me to plan a stop or two during the bike where I just stretch and shake things loose. I am going to do that. This is my first IM, so my goal is to complete, not compete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many good suggestions so far. My best advice is to not, last minute, try to train and race all aero. It is really easy to get injured now.
No big changes this close to race!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can i get an lol? like come on that poetry was gold... geeze tough crowd lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put the bike on the trainer and adjust the position until holding your aero position is comfortable. Then go with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Four weeks until my first IM, and I think I screwed up my bike training. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Many good suggestions so far. My best advice is to not, last minute, try to train and race all aero. It is really easy to get injured now.
No big changes this close to race!

You are right about that. Last night after my swim, I put the bike on the trainer and set the resistance so the power meter matched what I expect for a given cadence and gear on a flat stretch of road. After just half an hour, my shoulders were hurting. I stopped, did some doorway stretches, and called it a night. I have injured my left shoulder a couple times, including a nasty mountain bike crash a year ago, and I don't want to risk shoulder inflammation at this point. Today is run during lunch then the trainer again tonight. Hopefully I can hold the position longer. I still have a couple weeks to build up, but I might have to plan on some sort of schedule on the bike course where every 5 or 10 miles, I sit up out of aero for a minute and stretch. We will see as I get closer.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Quote Reply