Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clydesdale Newbie - San Diego Sprint suggestion
Quote | Reply
Soooo, I've realized, like years ago when I attempted my first tri, that I am way out of the league of 99% of you when it comes to experience, background, gear, and insight.

I am a true newb - never having done a tri. I also have run a max distance of 6.2miles 5 times. I have done a swim distance of 200yds - twice. I haven't a clue, nor a care - at this point, about what bike to get. I am 6'4" and about 305lbs. I used to do strongman and Scottish highland games. I now live in the best city for training (San Diego) and will work to finish any tri.

What I've realized is that this time around I am much more motivated to just finish.

Now, my question is this...for those who know San Diego...what sprint tri is best for someone like me? I rather not be judged when I roll up with a mountain bike with no aero bars wearing my Vibrams and Under Armour gear, but I realize it'll probably happen. I'm just looking for an easy simple race to strive for.

Attempt 1 - '09 Chicago Triathlon = missed
Attempt 2 - somewhere in my current city '17
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale Newbie - San Diego Sprint suggestion [Tcerveny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck um. Who cares what they say!!

I too am a big guy (not quite in your league), and will NEVER be competitive. Roll in, smile, enjoy, and finish. At the end you can drink more beer because you're not worried about your "race weight" and shit like that.

Good luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not from San Diego, but I go down there for races quite a bit. Given your gear description and types of distances you have done, I'd say give TriRock San Diego a shot next year. I've done both distances, and enjoyed it both times. Its a very flat course, and the sprint has an unusually short swim. Your mountain bike will fit in perfectly on Harbor Blvd, parts of which have some very bad pavement. It seems like a beginner friendly environment as well. Some fast folks definitely show up, but you'll fit in just fine and your gear will hardly raise an eyebrow. But even if it did, as another poster implied, who cares? Go for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdale Newbie - San Diego Sprint suggestion [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can join the san diego tri club. there is a beginner super sprint tri series in the summer, and sprint tri's in spring / fall. you get about 10 chip timed races (no cost) for a $75 membership. http://www.triclubsandiego.org/

other option is koz events, also welcoming and usat certified incase you want to compete in clydesdale championships: http://www.kozevents.com/

also look up who alex viada is. he did some tri's, and for a guy that squats/deadlifts 600+ lb can move.
Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 24, 16 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks to all of you for your encouragement and feedback! Great stuff!

Attempt 1 - '09 Chicago Triathlon = missed
Attempt 2 - somewhere in my current city '17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished my second Sprint and I'm 6'4 360.
Have nothing but great things to say about the other racers!
Everyone is always quick with an encouraging word.

My advice is to master the swim. Steady pace and concentrate on swimming in a straight line.
Best part of my last race was the guy in my age group that stopped to talk to me on the run/walk telling me how much fun he was having motivated me to muscle thru. Then as he ran away I thought "it took him till I was 1/2 mile into my run to catch up to me" guess my swim and biking don't suck!!
Keep it up and remember beer at the end!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mission Bay Triathlon next Sunday is a great beginner race with a bay swim and pretty flat bike and run.
Quote Reply