Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017?
Quote | Reply
Just watching some Formula 1 news and they were interviewing Jenson Button. He's sitting out racing F1 next year. Said "can't use the R word" (referring to retirement) and plans to be back racing F1 in 2018.

He went around 4:30 at Oceanside a few years ago and definitely has the engine to be KQ territory. Should be exciting to have a guy of that caliber in our sport racing with age groupers in 2018. OK, so will he be on a Cervelo Beam bike or that F1 looking Diamondback....he clearly needs no sponsors!

He does not strike me as the type that wants any celebrity invite. On the interview (it's was on a sports show on a 24 hour Dubai Sports channel that is in my hotel), he specifically said, "I want to qualify for the Triathlon World Championships". I took this to mean Kona, not ITU worlds or Chattanooga
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A very capable athlete who should be able to qualify of right, although his profile would probably secure him an invitation anyway.

The majority of F1 drivers come across as pretty bland in interview, not so JB who is always good value and entertaining.

Bearing in mind the current Maclaren/Specialized tie up, I would imagine he'll be on a Shiv.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
A very capable athlete who should be able to qualify of right, although his profile would probably secure him an invitation anyway.

The majority of F1 drivers come across as pretty bland in interview, not so JB who is always good value and entertaining.

Bearing in mind the current Maclaren/Specialized tie up, I would imagine he'll be on a Shiv.

The way he talked on that interview to Dubai sport he was very "clear" about "qualifying" for the "world championships'....not "do" (which could be via invite). At the end of the day the guy is a competitor and an F1 World champ and likely does not want a "free pass"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'll do well.

I'm sure you've seen him go up against the Brownlees in the GSK lab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuiksOOby6s
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
He'll do well.

I'm sure you've seen him go up against the Brownlees in the GSK lab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuiksOOby6s

I didn't see that video. Thanks for the link. Guys in Button's age group will have to worry. I wonder which race he will try to KQ at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He could certainly qualify.

He's done a number of 70.3s and marathons, so he has some idea of what he's getting into. And I doubt he'd even mention it if he weren't planning on making a serious attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling he qualified a year or 2 back. But Kona was on the same day as his day job. So couldn't take it up
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 IRONMAN Berlin 70.3

1. Michael Raelert 3.46h
1. Barbara Riveros 4.16h
35. Jenson Button 4.19h (M30-35 4th)

Bike course 87km, ~1.9 miles short.
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jenson has never raced a (full distance) Ironman. Has been on a 70.3 podium (Philippines 2014), but definitely has not Kona qualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [ukjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an older article on him and 1/2 IM races:

http://ap.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4LGrmDio3

I'm hoping his bike is faster than his McLaren.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago when Simon Lessing had his Vo2 tested it was high but, to his disgust if I recall, it was very average compared to F1 drivers...

Button has been 'doing' triathlon for well over ten years. I think he got the bug whilst off season fitness training in CLS Lanzarote by entering their weekly sprint tri. So far his results are very respectable.

So put the two together, plus if he trains full time, has sufficient cash to buy all the best kit and training camps necessary, I really don't see how he won't qualify.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
Years ago when Simon Lessing had his Vo2 tested it was high but, to his disgust if I recall, it was very average compared to F1 drivers...

Button has been 'doing' triathlon for well over ten years. I think he got the bug whilst off season fitness training in CLS Lanzarote by entering their weekly sprint tri. So far his results are very respectable.

So put the two together, plus if he trains full time, has sufficient cash to buy all the best kit and training camps necessary, I really don't see how he won't qualify.

SteveMc

That part in bold might be a challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he ran around 2:52 in the 2015 London Marathon. I like JB, he always comes across as a real gent when interviewed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was to guess, I'd say he was talking about ITU Age Group World Champs. Here in the UK that is a far more common objective among AG athletes.

IML: There is no denying the fact these days you are a seasoned triathlete and a fast one at that. Any plans to pin on a pro number after you are done with four wheels and an engine?

Button: I get asked that a lot and I have to say when the day comes, which wont be for a while yet(!) I would love to compete in the World’s in my age group, as you say it’s something I’ve become very passionate about but it’s all about F1 at the moment, all the pain I’ll be feeling in Cebu is just to help better me as a driver.

Originally from: http://ap.ironman.com/...s.aspx#ixzz4LM8ZnrNj

Over here whenever anybody talks about qualifying for the World's in their age group, they nearly always mean ITU. And frankly, I don't think he would find it hard to qualify for GB in M35-39.
Quote Reply
Re: Jenson Button Shooting for Kona 2017? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or maybe he meant Kona in his age group vs Kona as a pro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
or maybe he meant Kona in his age group vs Kona as a pro?

knighty76 is correct about the nomenclature used if he were talking about himself, or me, or any other average British age grouper, but we're not. Button spends very little time in the UK due to his day job, his primary residence is Monaco, and I suspect he spends very little time shooting the breeze with other British age group triathletes.

I therefore doubt you can accurately read anything into his choice of words either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training to be an F1 driver is strenuous and his past tri results definitely indicate he can do a KQ results.

I like that he uses his high profile to promote and participate in endurance sport and encourage others to lead a more healthy lifestyle by doing the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends who his doctor is.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply