Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed?
Quote | Reply
I saw a post from Dev about something similar from a few years back but my circumstances are slightly different.

I have a 10 speed bike and recently bought a set of wheels that comes with an 11 speed 11-25 cassette. Could I remove the 16t cog to make it a 10 speed cassette? I also bought 1 and 1.85mm spacers to make my current 10 speed cassette work on the 11 speed hub so I can use those too.

I know that 11 speed cassettes aren't just "one bigger" and that the spacing between each cog is smaller than on a 10 speed cassette. If I removed the 16t, would it shift properly? Would my chain be too wide? Would I be better off just spending the $40 for a 105 10 speed 11-25 cassette?
Last edited by: S Train: Sep 24, 16 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: Changing an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed? [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I successfully use:
a 9spd cassette with a 9spd or 11spd chain
AND
a 7spd cassette with a 9spd or 11spd chain
AND
an 11spd cassette with an 11spd chain
USING
the same 9spd aerobar shifter, in 'friction' mode (not indexing)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you would be better off with spending 40$ on the correct cassette. Trying to properly space the cogs, which are slightly thinner than 10 speed could be a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sell the 11 speed cassette and buy a 10 speed. I bet you could just about break even if not pocket a little money depending on which 11 speed you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
I have a 10 speed bike and recently bought a set of wheels that comes with an 11 speed 11-25 cassette. Could I remove the 16t cog to make it a 10 speed cassette?
You could do that, but the 10 cogs would still have 11 speed spacing, so this new modded cassette would not work properly with a 10 speed drivetrain.

Quote:
I know that 11 speed cassettes aren't just "one bigger" and that the spacing between each cog is smaller than on a 10 speed cassette. If I removed the 16t, would it shift properly? Would my chain be too wide?
Not sure if the chain would be, or would not be, too wide. But the spacing of the cassette cogs would not line up with the indexing of the 10 speed shifters. This would become a problem every time you shift further to the end of the cassette.

Yes, buy a 10 speed cassette, that will solve the problem.

Hope that helps.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Changing an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, great. I'll sell the 11 and buy a 10.

Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 10-speed Tiagra cassette would work equally well and be even cheaper.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply